XFX R9 390 Double Dissipation Core Edition

HardOCP News

[H] News
The LanOC crew has the XFX R9 390 Double Dissipation Core Edition video card on the test bench today. Here's a quote from the full review:

So today I’m going to run the XFX R9 390 Double Dissipation Core Edition through all of our in-game, compute, and synthetic performance tests as well as the more specific per card tests like noise and cooling performance. In the past the XFX cards have performed well, but it might have its hand full with the triple fan cooler on the Sapphire.

Unless I missed it, no mention of VRM temps?! I keep wishing they would fix that, but its probably not going to ever happen since every DD cooler has sucked.

Actually the new XFX DD cards have a beefy VRM heatsink attached to them.
Unless they screwed something else up they probably have the lowest VRM temps out there.

Obviously NOT better than heatsinks using active cooling.

QL9cIj7.png

Actually the new XFX DD cards have a beefy VRM heatsink attached to them.
Unless they screwed something else up they probably have the lowest VRM temps out there.

Obviously NOT better than heatsinks using active cooling.

Our XFX-US tech team put alot of pressure on our engineers to design the best VRM heatsink out there, mostly due to the complaints on the last series.

I'm very pleased with the temperatures now... down 30-40'C from 105 to 60. Temperatures may vary

Here's the engineering spec
c35N7ft.png

Last edited:
The triangle design looks like a tile floor pattern.

Everytime i see this card, i wonder who came up with that silly graphic...easily the goofiest looking they ever came up with....at least you can't complain about the cooling these days even though i think a triple fan might sell better.

Our XFX-US tech team put alot of pressure on our engineers to design the best VRM heatsink out there, mostly due to the complaints on the last series.

I'm very pleased with the temperatures now... down 30-40'C from 105 to 60. Temperatures may vary

Here's the engineering spec
c35N7ft.png
So glad XFX got this taken care of! It was pretty much my only complaint with my 290 DD, makes me wish I had held off one more generation to upgrade.

Last edited:
Everytime i see this card, i wonder who came up with that silly graphic...easily the goofiest looking they ever came up with....at least you can't complain about the cooling these days even though i think a triple fan might sell better.

Its called the "tesselation" background... and it fits the scheme of gpu's and rendering... I actually really like it...:D:D:D

Nice looking card, would be a nice upgrade from my 280X, but man why aren't there more 390 cards with more than 1 display port? I've got a 280X with 3 now to drive my 3 4k Samsungs.

Nice looking card, would be a nice upgrade from my 280X, but man why aren't there more 390 cards with more than 1 display port? I've got a 280X with 3 now to drive my 3 4k Samsungs.

its older design for the displays and would add unneeded cost would be my guess.
A fury might be then up your alley if you have 3 screens.:)

its older design for the displays and would add unneeded cost would be my guess.
A fury might be then up your alley if you have 3 screens.:)

The thought had crossed my mind and if my desktop usage for gaming was more than the 10% it is right now I would have pulled the trigger on a Fury. Visual Studio doesn't need all that power ;)

Back