Behind The Wheel Of Ford’s Distracted Driving Simulator

HardOCP News

[H] News
Who needs a distracted driving simulator when you can just take a ride with a teenager? ;)

"The types of study we've been carrying out in VIRTTEX have been related to active safety, driver distraction, and drowsy drivers," Blommer said. "For example, alerts for different lane departure warnings and forward collision warnings—we've been evaluating some of the different systems that Ford was considering."

I see people drive while holding up the phone on the steering wheel all the time. Pisses me off to no end.

Should just testdrive a bus full of kids...

How about this idea.

Pay attention to driving while driving?

Is that too much to ask?

Person causes a wreck while they are texting, talking on the phone, or whatever.. then their license is revoked for at least 5 years... and they have mandatory community service and/or jail time.

I never see that many drivers texting while I drive. Maybe it is because that is the time I spend updating facebook. hmm

I live in a state where it's illegal to fuck with your cellphone while driving. Everyone still does it, of course, as people are self-absorbed fuckwits and the penalties are a joke. You can actually kill people in crosswalks with your car in most states and maybe get a traffic ticket for not yielding to a pedestrian, because ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ whoopsies, you were "distracted" or forgot which of the two pedals on the floor makes your car not go forward.

I live in a state where it's illegal to fuck with your cellphone while driving. Everyone still does it, of course, as people are self-absorbed fuckwits and the penalties are a joke. You can actually kill people in crosswalks with your car in most states and maybe get a traffic ticket for not yielding to a pedestrian, because ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ whoopsies, you were "distracted" or forgot which of the two pedals on the floor makes your car not go forward.

I have yet to hear of anyone, anywhere, get pulled over for it. What they need to do is increase the fines, not to make people do it less (they won't) but to increase the incentive for police departments to capitalize on that revenue. This is how things get done in the US. What a country!

Who needs a distracted driving simulator when you can just take a ride with a teenager? ;)

It's not just teenagers around here. There are a good variety of people on their phones while driving.

It's illegal here in British Columbia, Canada too and we get an enforcement blitz every once in a while.

http://www.vancouversun.com/technology/police+blitz+target+cellphone/10172102/story.html
http://www.theprogress.com/news/297809061.html

While I was driving, my wife took a video of a middle-aged woman texting while driving. I sent the video along with the license plate information to the local insurance company and the police but got no reply.

When I say one of the enforcement blitz, I talked to the officer and he said there not much else I can do. He said he can't catch and pull over everyone, like that lady that just drove by us while we were chatting at the busy intersection. All the police can do is work in teams of 2, a spotter and someone to step onto the road to pull the vehicle over.

It sucks. I see at least 2 or 3 every single day. Pisses me off. :mad:

Back