Reddit's Head Of Community Leaves Company

HardOCP News

[H] News
What's that expression about rats and a sinking ship? That might apply in this situation. :eek:

Moreno said in an e-mailed statement on Tuesday that she plans to spend more time with her family in Salt Lake City and that her decision to go was a "difficult" one, with Reddit in the midst of major changes to how it handles content on the site.

/facepalm

The end of reddit is nigh!

REPENT OF YOUR SINS!!!!

Community wanted reform, but they pushed they're pushing the site towards a collapse. Oh the irony.

Hey, where's Ducman69 at? He usually gives these Reddit threads a dose of "whatfer" and "whozi hum dingers." It's kinda sad to not see him around. :(

I like reddit. I subscribe to a lot of subs. It'll be sad to see it go, but I'm there for the content. I don't give a rats ass what site it's on. So, as long as there is a decent alternative with similar content, fuck reddit. I don't care about all the backend politics. Some of their policies are making some things difficult, and it's turning me to other sources, but it's still not horrible.

it started when they hired the toxic c*nt.

And its quickly forgotten that the current/pre-Pao CEO is continuing that stuff. Of course, since he has a penis, it's easy to disregard the possibility that people elsewhere in the company were making this move long before Pao was involved and that she was just brought in for a few months to take the abuse in order to social engineer stupid internet people into targeting and blaming her exclusively. After all, people who avidly participate in hateful crap on the Internet usually aren't smart enough to exercise any sorta critical thinking. They just get emo and throw around childish insults. :D

And its quickly forgotten that the current/pre-Pao CEO is continuing that stuff. Of course, since he has a penis, it's easy to disregard the possibility that people elsewhere in the company were making this move long before Pao was involved and that she was just brought in for a few months to take the abuse in order to social engineer stupid internet people into targeting and blaming her exclusively. After all, people who avidly participate in hateful crap on the Internet usually aren't smart enough to exercise any sorta critical thinking. They just get emo and throw around childish insults. :D

90.gif

Or it could have a lot to do with her past, as well.

Just a thought.

Getting pretty clear that Reddit is trying to up their monetization, and they don't want certain types of people around. They're trying to find a "nice" acceptable way of getting rid of them and failing terribly. The founder is looking to get PAID, son! If some folks with wrongthink have to get memory holed, you know, whatevs.

It's really funny the things people get up in arms about monetizing.

Healthcare? Cancer costs benjamins, son!

Online circlejerk? You heartless capitalist, how dare you try to monetize our utopian bastion of free speech!

He's not getting much appreciation, either. Even with the dick. He's saying he's leaving the Pao rules there, and is working on enforcing them via new rules and techniques (new post today). At first, there was a lot of praise, but it's quickly fading and now people are not putting a lot of faith in him.

But there is a big difference between "not putting a lot of faith" and the vitriol heaved at Pao.

That would only make her more useful as a scapegoat.

Valid point.

Though, to be honest, I'm not sure why people were pissed that the Reddit community acted the way they did. They're allowed to do that. And, all of that aside, Ellen Poe is a dumb _ _ _ _ regardless of whether or not she implemented these changes or was just following what was already in motion.

And, if the reddit community feels that the next CEO is on the wrong path, I have no doubt they'll make their displeasure known.

Online circlejerk? You heartless capitalist, how dare you try to monetize our utopian bastion of free speech!

People not being up in arms about cancer doesn't mean people being up in arms about Reddit is bad or wrong.

I'm not sure what your connection is here.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing, I'm just saying it is what it is. This is what happens to sites that start this sort of thing. Take a look at the Slashdot article - that place used to be huge (even got a freaking theme song) and now it's not.

Once you start slapping ads all over everything, you start decreasing site performance and increasing user frustration. People will only put up with so much. I understand that things are not free, but you have to balance the two. Right now I would say Reddit is failing at that, but if they turn a profit (finally) then good for them, I guess? Either way I don't care as it's not in my favorites list.

I see similar people that are 100% for the monetization/privitization of healthcare that are then mad that Reddit is taking actions on an online forum to also seek to make money. It's just funny to me is all.

I see similar people that are 100% for the monetization/privitization of healthcare that are then mad that Reddit is taking actions on an online forum to also seek to make money. It's just funny to me is all.

I'm not against monetization *at all*. I'm just saying don't expect to have the same number of users. Depending on how aggressive you wanna get, you can drive away all your users. when a large chunk of users leave, mods are gonna leave, and you'll have to rely on arbitrary bots or much less granular moderation. When that happens the spambots will show up.

What is that reddit produces? What is its value proposition to customers? How hard is it for a user to change to another site? These are questions reddit needs to be asking itself.

I'm not against monetization *at all*. I'm just saying don't expect to have the same number of users. Depending on how aggressive you wanna get, you can drive away all your users. when a large chunk of users leave, mods are gonna leave, and you'll have to rely on arbitrary bots or much less granular moderation. When that happens the spambots will show up.

What is that reddit produces? What is its value proposition to customers? How hard is it for a user to change to another site? These are questions reddit needs to be asking itself.

Totally agree there. I see the values assigned to any site with tons of users but no real way to monetize - Snapchat, whatsapp, etc. It's this idea of, "They have tons of users, surely even if we just get a dollar from each it will be huge!"

But it's cheaper and easier for someone to clone the exact same concept and everyone to just create a login over there.

Meanwhile, startups/sites actually creating quality products but don't have a gazillion broke users have pretty low valuations.

He's no better either, Richard.

He's no better either, Richard.

If that's the case then please, go ahead and refer to him using female reproductive organs as insulting terminology instead of going down the road of picking out a woman in specific to insult. Oh wait, that's not what men interested in computer technology do is it?

If that's the case then please, go ahead and refer to him using female reproductive organs as insulting terminology instead of going down the road of picking out a woman in specific to insult. Oh wait, that's not what men interested in computer technology do is it?

You are aware that many insults are based on male (or shared) anatomy as well, right?

Having served in uniform for 5 years, I can assure you that you clearly underestimate the power of individuals to find new and inventive ways to demean each other with the appropriately selected, timed, placed, and executed use of the English language. This is not to mention the fact that in male dominated industries there are other less savory ways of conflict resolution that tend to be frowned upon in inter-gender conflicts.

You are aware that many insults are based on male (or shared) anatomy as well, right?

Having served in uniform for 5 years, I can assure you that you clearly underestimate the power of individuals to find new and inventive ways to demean each other with the appropriately selected, timed, placed, and executed use of the English language. This is not to mention the fact that in male dominated industries there are other less savory ways of conflict resolution that tend to be frowned upon in inter-gender conflicts.

I'm not denying at all that there are lots of insulting male anatomy things that can get used (though commonly used language involving female bits is a loooot more popular, diverse, and considered more vulgar too). I'm just pointing out that, in this particular situation, they aren't being mentioned which makes you wonder a little.

There must be a lot of sand in you c*nt too, Princess. Maybe if you spent less time pretending that you are a SJW and more time dying in a fire, the world would be a better place.

There must be a lot of sand in you c*nt too, Princess. Maybe if you spent less time pretending that you are a SJW and more time dying in a fire, the world would be a better place.

I'm genuinely sorry I upset you by calling you out for that gender-bias insult thing you're doing. I just wanted to sorta point out that this whole silly Reddit interwebs drama thing spans multiple genders with respect to leadership and that there's no reason to single out something a woman did as insult worthy without understanding anything that's happening behind the scenes. If pointing out the gender bias hits one of your soft spots, I'll try not to do it again next time you post something like that. I didn't mean to upset you over it. So yeah, very sorry and I didn't know it was such a touchy thing for you to hang onto. :(

Back