Attorney General Orders Non-Delivering Kickstarter Campaign To Pay Up

HardOCP News

[H] News
While the backers of this campaign probably won't see a dime of this money, at least the Washington state attorney general took action against this deadbeat Kickstarter.

Justice moves slowly, but that case has finally been settled, with the company that failed to send Asylum horror-themed playing cards, being ordered to pay a total of $54,851 in restitution, civil penalties, and the attorney general’s costs and fees.

Seriously, out of all the things people get stiffed for on Kickstarters, these chumps did it for playing cards?

Video games I somewhat understand, they're expensive to produce. Electronic devices can end up costing tons in tooling and manufacturing issues that it drives a company under before they ship. But playing cards are f-ing paper.

Nearly all of kickstarter projects go something like this

Have idea
Need to have time to develop idea so can't have a day time job
Use kickstarter to become source of income, call it "cost of development"
Get funded
Jump up and down "I don't have to get a job for at least a year!"
Eat cheetos and watch HBO on brand new 4k TV
After 1 year, claim funding difficulties, unable to complete project, complain about how you now need to find a job.

But seriously I really don't know what the legal requirements are for kickstarter, do they actually need to act like a company in that they there is a paper trail of expenditures? Pay yourself a salary of the amount of the kickstarter check, then you could fake documents/time sheets saying you were working.

It's a risk, how much do you believe in the risk? Cards Against Humanity was a very successful one, and fun as hell to play, Exploding Kittens made Kickstarter explode, still waiting to see the fun factor there. Hopefully the AG garnishes this guy's wages until he pays it off like dead beat dads have.

What's funny, if you go to the KS page, a lot of people are posting they just received their packages in the last couple days.

Back