Solar-Powered Treehouse Has 360-Degree View, Wi-Fi, And Beer

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
This seems like a great place to get away from it all. Heck, it even has mood lighting and fingerprint entry. Unfortunately, it's missing a bathroom---but that's what the surrounding woods are for, right?

His creation, appropriately dubbed "The Skysphere," is a circular single room accessible by a ladder in its base. The structure is located in Linton, New Zealand, and provides its guests with endless views of the surrounding countryside. Besides the sleek design and pretty views, the room is completely powered by solar panels, which is necessary for all of its gadgets.

No bathroom = stupid. Not even a bucket? I don't want to have to climb ladders every time I have to tinkle.

Except its not a treehouse and stands out like a sore thumb!
It might be great inside but I wouldnt want that on my landscape.

No bathroom = stupid. Not even a bucket? I don't want to have to climb ladders every time I have to tinkle.

I wouldn't be worried about having to take a leak, having to go #2 and climbing down a ladder? Better hope you don't get the runs.

Where's the tree?

I don't get it. People build similar stuff on the ground all the time and install full bathrooms. On top of that a similar structure on the ground is MUCH more resilient to natural and man made disasters.

Bathroom? Simple, cut a circle in the floor and put a toilet over it. Just watch your step.

No way solar power is powering any A/C or heating. I wonder what the weather is where its installed?

I don't get it.
It's high in the air, a fun place to hang out with your toys, no bathroom... sounds to me like a "treehouse" (notice the word in the article is in quotes, denoting it's not exactly a treehouse... blame HardOCP for the misleading title if anything)

Lets see, thing is ugly, talks about having beer but no way to relieve yourself, it's "solar powered" where are the panels? If they're flat on the top structure they're not super effective, plus the shadow from the poles going over the top is going to reduce the effectiveness even more, and I have a really hard time believing there are enough panels there to run even a dorm fridge, compressors are big energy hogs.

Lets see, thing is ugly, talks about having beer but no way to relieve yourself, it's "solar powered" where are the panels? If they're flat on the top structure they're not super effective, plus the shadow from the poles going over the top is going to reduce the effectiveness even more, and I have a really hard time believing there are enough panels there to run even a dorm fridge, compressors are big energy hogs.

Its possible the solar panels/collectors are elsewhere on the property, but I just can't get past the whole tree house without a tree aspect. That and the fact that it's fugly.

looks like an awesome deer stand/camp if you could camouflage it with the terrain.

Back