Leaked Slides Reveal Performance Of Intel's Skylake CPUs

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Skylake looks to be a substantial upgrade, particularly for mobile users. Leaked materials indicate that certain series will provide nearly 1.5 hours of additional battery life compared to the previous generation, along with 41% faster graphics.

…battery life on devices with a Skylake chip should last up to 30% longer than those with Broadwell processors. Another one of the slides shows that the mobile versions of Skylake could have between 10% to 17% faster CPU performance compared to Broadwell, along with up to 41% better graphics performance with Intel's integrated solution.

Surface Pro 4 time...
Just hope MS comes to its senses with storage space. $1000 for 128GB is no bueno.

Does anyone even care about integrated graphics?

I mean when I buy a consumer CPU the first thing I do is go into the bios to disable the gpu built into the cpu.

The only time I could ever fathom it being usefull is if I OC my regular GPU and kill it. Then waiting for the replacement to arrive I could enable the on cpu graphics chip until the new card came.

Well, low cost for someone as well, but really who here buys a $400 computer?

I mean when I buy a consumer CPU the first thing I do is go into the bios to disable the gpu built into the cpu.

The only time I could ever fathom it being usefull is if I OC my regular GPU and kill it. Then waiting for the replacement to arrive I could enable the on cpu graphics chip until the new card came.

Well, low cost for someone as well, but really who here buys a $400 computer?
Yes, many people care about integrated graphics. Integrated graphics can play League of Legends, WoW, DOTA ect. That's all the gaming a lot of people need.

Many people on this forum? No, but we're a niche market.

Does anyone even care about integrated graphics

I use three computers in my setup.

Computer 1: Main system that I use for games. Switch it off when I'm not using it.

Computer 2: Always on with a tv capture card in there. Use this one to automatically record things from tv, downloading stuff and for watching videos/tv when on main system.

Computer 3: Always on. Have a few hard drives in there sharing my video collection and the Internet to the other computers.

With computer 1 I can easy do without onboard gfx. When I get a new system my second computer inherits the hardware and this is where I'm really grateful for the onboard gfx.

At the moment I'm using an AMD Bulldozer in my main system and this doesn't have onboard gfx. When I upgrade this (hopefully with Skylake) I'm a bit screwed unless I use a discrete card. For what the system is used for a discrete card is total overkill and just sucking up power for no good reason at all.

Many consumers that want to play simple games. For the better games, they will figure out they'll need a dedicated GPU. But, for the casual games, onboard is fine. Most people are fine with no games, so the onboard stuff is fine for anything they do.

Surface Pro 4 time...
Just hope MS comes to its senses with storage space. $1000 for 128GB is no bueno.

Its going to be pricey at release. MS knows they have pent up demand and they have to make up for the Surface's early losses. Its the same story as Xbox, they lost a ton of money upfront, so they have to do serious monetization (overpriced accessories etc) to make it back.

I will be watching and planning when they Skylake CPU's hit -- I'm still running a 2500k on an Z77 motherboard... its overclocked and feeding my dual 290's well enough for 1440p gaming, but it's getting maxed out a lot in BF4 and GTA5

I wouldn't mind a nice K series Skylake and one of those fancy MSI gaming armor motherboards :)

Many, many more than you know:

"The overall discrete GPU market isn't doing that well as integrated graphics reduce the need for a discrete graphics card. Jon Peddie notes the attach rate of discrete graphics cards has declined from a peak of 63 percent in Q1 2008 to 37 percent in Q1 2015."

http://www.dvhardware.net/article62498.html

The attach rate they speak of here is the number of discrete video cards to desktop PCs.

Yes, i do.

My surface pro 2 can do almost everything. It plays games quiet well (WoW, Diablo 3, MOBAs, TF2, etc).

but if you give me a surface pro that has 2-3x the gpu performance ill probably upgrade.

Surface Pro 4 time...
My thoughts exactly. I'm dying to upgrade my Surface Pro 3 to the Pro 4 with at least 256 GB storage and 8 GB RAM, 128/4 aint enough.

Sounds like the perfect match for Surface Pro 4 which will make up for the Haswell disaster on Surface Pro 3.

Isn't Surface Pro msata? Just swap it out for a bigger one.

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Microsoft+Surface+Pro+3+Teardown/26595
Step 5
A cursory look is all it takes to tell us we're gonna need to bring the heat for a display-first invasion. Out comes the trusty iOpener.
If the old Surface Pro 2 is anything to go by, we're gonna need picks—oodles and oodles of picks.
These speaker cutouts give us a handy point of access.
Picks, away!

Step 6
Whoops.
Our teardown engineer carefully heated and pried up the glass at the edge of this device, but the cooling adhesive alone was enough to crack the glass on our photo table.
Microsoft went to great lengths to make the Surface Pro 3 super portable, thinning it down from the Pro 2's 0.53" to a mere 0.36" thick—but it seems the thinner glass does not bode well for ruggedness, or repair.
We'll just work down here as that crack spreads quicker than an army across Westeros...

If you've got a reliable way into the Surface Pro 3, your methods would be appreciated.

Man i just picked up an hp spectre x360 for 1100. Makes me want to return it and wait for skylake stuff since even the ultra low voltage skylake parts will have iris pro.

Man i just picked up an hp spectre x360 for 1100. Makes me want to return it and wait for skylake stuff since even the ultra low voltage skylake parts will have iris pro.

Granted from the looks of it, iris pro on U skylake parts is only 30% faster than broadwell. So i'd mostly be more worried about the battery savings.

Id be more worried about the fact it has 2 fans you cant get to because you cant open it. We got "durr 2008 pc is just fine for daily tasks" so i feels for surface folk in 3 years.

Well, the Pro 1 and 2 you can disassemble. Takes some work, patience, and tools, but it's possible. The SP3 is the first one that you probably can't disassemble without breaking...and once you break it, it's impossible to find replacement displays that are compatible (v1.1).

Back