Netflix CEO Hints At Getting People To Pay More

HardOCP News

[H] News
Honestly, I don't think Netflix needs to change its strategy that much at all. Keep putting out high quality original content and people will pay for it. How much more? That's another question altogether.

“We want to take it very slow,” said Hastings. “Things are going well. There’s no need to be disruptive… It’s really focused on going very steady, very slow, and over the next decade I think we’ll be able to have more and more content and add more value and then to be able to price that appropriately.”

I subscribe once or twice a year and binge watch all the original content, then I'm done. Everything on netflix is old and the library is way too small, or at least their browsing and suggestion system is crap.

But netflix original content is pretty good.

Cablevision just told me they plan to offer Netflix as part of their service. Not sure how that's going to work but they explained it was due to the cord cutters.

I just wanted to say that it's fucking ridiculous how Netflix expects you to check a web site to find out what titles are expiring. Either list the damn expiration date on the movie's info page, or create a category of titles that will be removed soon.

I subscribe once or twice a year and binge watch all the original content, then I'm done. Everything on netflix is old and the library is way too small, or at least their browsing and suggestion system is crap.

But netflix original content is pretty good.

Their browsing and suggestion system is pretty much crap.

You pretty much have to know the exact title or at least part of a title of a movie and search for it to find out if it is there if it isn't listed in their very limited list they have on their page or app.

Just don't raise prices in a manner that you'll scare off all the converted former-pirates.

Just don't raise prices in a manner that you'll scare off all the converted former-pirates.

If you knew anything about pirating, it would be abundantly clear to you that Netflix is a terrible 'replacement'. Their catalog is very small and they keep removing shit the studios charge way too much for. Pirates are mostly data whores, and Netflix is not all that strong on that end.

If you knew anything about pirating, it would be abundantly clear to you that Netflix is a terrible 'replacement'. Their catalog is very small and they keep removing shit the studios charge way too much for. Pirates are mostly data whores, and Netflix is not all that strong on that end.

No need to presume what I do or do not know. I do realize that streaming is a poor replacement (which is why I don't pay for streaming), but their DVD/bluray service is quite good. While the article focuses on the streaming service, I'm quite skeptical that Netflix would raise their streaming prices and not raise their hard-copy prices at the same time...

Raise price per month, and make a reduced price for paying yearly.

Seems fair to me.

Got rid of my cable last month. I pay for Netflix each month. I still have my high speed internet. I don't miss cable one bit.

I love my Netflix but I wish they had all the anime and shows they used to have one they first started out. Anime selection is getting tiny but they still have a lot of Korean dramas. Guess that's what happens when you start having a lot of competition.

I just went to the 11.99 plan for more screens. We're Netflix whores and former pirates. It's a decent replacement. Not for everything. But, if Netflix or Amazon doesn't have it....

Availability. If I want high quality, it's Blu-ray. If I want it now and it's there - Netflix. It's I don't care about quality, and Netflix doesn't have it (or Amazon Prime), then it's found elsewhere...

It is already a waste of money for me it seems. I have hardly used it in the last few years other than catching a few good TV series such as Prison Break, Lost and the Walking Dead. Sometimes I will go two months without even finding a movie worth a shit to even watch on there.

They are successful, and success breeds greed.

It was bound to happen.

Sounds about right. Need to compensate for the binge watchers.

Why do they need to compensate for paying customers?

Marketing people... !

Cut out this compensation talk... "Month-by-Month" watchers would just be paying the "regular" new rate, and people could save a substantial amount of money on a yearly rate.

See? Marketing! No compensation talk to upset people
Your definition of disaster needs to be adjusted.

by voting with his wallet, he is not being ignorant, however your response sure is.

the only thing it did was swing the balance in the opposite direction. bruisers and tanks are completely broken now, they were fine before and you absolutely could win games against poke comps, people just naturally suck against poke comps because they're afraid to go in.

Nooooooo!

vampire-cross.jpg

... ;)

I have no idea WTF got attached to the bottom of my last post, and that pic...?!

Please delete.

They are successful, and success breeds greed.

It was bound to happen.

I tend to agree with your statement, Larry. However, I'm actually surprised Netflix hasn't increased their monthly price a couple/few more dollars by now. Still a shit-ton cheaper than subscribing to cable, tacking on the optional HD and on-demand services/packages to wind up paying $130+ per month for essentially the same functionality.

They could double the cost now and it would still be worth it to me. I don't pirate and I usually don't go to the movies. I almost always find 3 or more movies and shows to watch each month. I do wish they would expand their selection and yes very annoying I have to go to other web sites to see what is leaving and coming.

They can go up a buck, I'm cool with that. But not more than a buck every 5 years or so.

Back