If You Could See All The Asteroids Around Us

Go to youtube to see if the playback is actually supported, which it isn't on Firefox either.

I loved using that software for astronomy. So fun to play with and a great tool to map celestial phenomena.

Still, it's not like we can do much about them. Not yet anyway.

If it doesn't work try setting the resolution lower. For me it went to 1440p on auto, which was too much for my system and I had to go to 720 .

Another Scott Manley video! He did a whole bunch of Kerbal Space Program videos and he really helped quite a lot there, too.

I could use the 360 here on HF, but when I went to YouTube, I couldn't.

I loved using that software for astronomy. So fun to play with and a great tool to map celestial phenomena.

Still, it's not like we can do much about them. Not yet anyway.
Knowing early enough even a spit wad could mean the difference between hitting and missing the earth. OTOH, the risk is extremely low since we've swept through the same group for billions of years already.

"can't point a telescope at the sun"? WTF

i can look at it with my sunglasses

Those dumb scientists... If only the people who build these space telescopes were as smart as you!

There are telescopes aimed at the sun and have been for some time. There are other types of telescopes too, like SOHO. Sunspots have been observed since at least 384 BC.

The problem isn't pointing a telescope at the sun, it's pointing a telescope in the direction of the sun and trying to see something other than the sun itself.

Either way, I'll sleep soundly. If an asteroid hits the earth it won't be the first time. If it's big enough to destroy human civilization, well I'll get to watch the end of it all. Had to end sometime.

Back