Russian Parliament Approves Internet Privacy Bill

HardOCP News

[H] News
It looks as though the Russians will soon have the right to be forgotten too. Where does the U.S. stand on this again?

Russia's parliament gave its final approval on Friday to a law that would require Internet search engines to remove users' personal information from their results. The bill, passed by the State Duma lower house in its third reading, seeks to emulate European Union rules on the "right to be forgotten", under which search engines must take down certain results that appear under a search of a person's name.

This is still just as ridiculous as when Europe enacted it.

I fully agree with the concept that people's personal information shouldn't be online forever, but going after the search engine is the wrong target. Instead, target the sites actually containing the data. The search engine just indexes stuff that exists.

It is the equivalent of going after the phone company, because they have a listing for something you don't want to be found, in their phone book... I'ts just plain dumb.

I'm sure that giving more unreasonable requests primarily to American companies was a very difficult decision for them :rolleyes:

If Russia continues to treat the unfiltered internet as "the enemy", this new right-to-be-forgotten won't really have much of an effect on the US, because Russia will eventually have it's own separate internet anyway (just like China already does).

So if Putin's hypocracy is exposed, the truth gets hidden.

Relative to?

I may not agree with (or more accurately not care about) his intentions, but he seems to be pretty clear about his ambitions and drive.

What are some "bad" things they do, and how do they compare to whatever benchmark you have?

Zarathustra[H];1041710979 said:
It is the equivalent of going after the phone company, because they have a listing for something you don't want to be found, in their phone book... I'ts just plain dumb.

In your example, Google owns the Internet.

I think a better example would be the phone book listing your phone number because your residence is merely within their operating area.

Relative to?

I may not agree with (or more accurately not care about) his intentions, but he seems to be pretty clear about his ambitions and drive.

What are some "bad" things they do, and how do they compare to whatever benchmark you have?

1) Anything putin or his cronies do not like, now gets wiped from the internet, and he uses that as leverage to either get american or other companies who provide news to his country shut down, or put them under his control. Which is quite brilliant on his part.

2) If you did not care about putin, "or more accurately not care about his intentions" as you stated, you would not have replied with any part of "what are some bad things they do". So you do care about his intentions, and have actually insulted yourself at the same time. Im not sure whether to say thank you, or just giggle. It's quite the conundrum.

Does anybody believe what Putin says anymore? He says one thing then does the opposite not even trying to hide it.

Does anybody believe what Putin says anymore? He says one thing then does the opposite not even trying to hide it.

The Russian government divides power in a manner similar to the US so the creation and enactment of laws is an authority reserved for the Parliament and not something the President does. I know it's confusing though. I didn't pay much attention in those dumb social studies classes when I was a kid either so the whole legislative versus executive thing doesn't make much sense.

1) Anything putin or his cronies do not like, now gets wiped from the internet, and he uses that as leverage to either get american or other companies who provide news to his country shut down, or put them under his control. Which is quite brilliant on his part.

No where does it say that. It says that seeks to emulate European Union rules on the "right to be forgotten". You think we don't wipe stuff from the Internet? You don't think that RT is no more propaganda then our main stream media here? Or Alhurra news in the middle east that gets funding directly from the United States Congress.

iceseizurenotice1.jpg

2) If you did not care about putin, "or more accurately not care about his intentions" as you stated, you would not have replied with any part of "what are some bad things they do". So you do care about his intentions, and have actually insulted yourself at the same time. Im not sure whether to say thank you, or just giggle. It's quite the conundrum.

I do not understand your assertion. You are ones saying how Putin is bad and F Russia. I am asking why do you say that? I said nothing. Do you believe that Russia is a terrible state? Do you believe that Russia persecutes gays more then us? Do you believe that Russia invaded Crimea unprovoked? Do you believe they shot down an airplane 2/3rd full of residence from the Netherlands who happens to be one of Russia's biggest allies in Europe?

http://www.ecfr.eu/article/commentary_how_should_europe_respond_to_russia_the_dutch_view311233
The Netherlands is one of Russia’s main trading partners (in 2013, trade exchanges totalled €27 billion) and provides a sizeable amount of Russia’s foreign direct investment, including reinvestment by Russian companies. This is in part explained by the favourable tax conditions for foreign companies in the Netherlands. Oil and gas and other energy products constitute the most important element in the two countries’ trade relations.

Dutch company Shell is a major investor in Russia, including in a large LNG project in Sakhalin. And the Dutch natural gas infrastructure and transmission company Gasunie has a close partnership with Russian state operator Gazprom, which led to Dutch participation in the Nord Stream pipeline project. (Moreover, the former CEO of Gasunie heads the South Stream pipeline project’s Amsterdam office).

Finally, Rotterdam is the main transit port for Russian oil and oil products, and Russia has plans for investment in downstream facilities in the port area.

Putin is trying to make his country successful. And he is being aggressive and using slight of hand, just like any other country that is trying to be successful. When someone here tells me how bad Russia is, my question is not why does Russia do these things. My question is why are you so adamant that I know this?

Back