Expert Says Aliens Will Look Like Humans

HardOCP News

[H] News
Wait, if aliens will look like humans, how do we know they aren't here already?

They are often portrayed on screen as little green men with elongated limbs and saucer-like eyes. From E.T to the X-Files, aliens from outer space have captured our imagination for decades. Yet a new book from a leading evolutionary biologist argues that if they exist and we ever encountered them, they would look very similar to us.

Aliens look like humans because "aliens" seeded this planet long ago with their own DNA! We're now awaiting the return of our Planet X ancestors to reestablish contact once we hit the appropriate level of advancement! /Sarcasm (though still theoretically possible with current scientific understanding, even if the probability of it being true is very small)

Aliens look like humans because "aliens" seeded this planet long ago with their own DNA! We're now awaiting the return of our Planet X ancestors to reestablish contact once we hit the appropriate level of advancement! /Sarcasm (though still theoretically possible with current scientific understanding, even if the probability of it being true is very small)

I think you've been watching too many movies.

I somewhat agree. There is merit to the whole evolution of walking upright on 2 legs and having 2 arms with appendages to manipulate objects and do fine detail work.

I don't think they will look exactly like us, but the whole "humanoid" concept present in Sci-Fi characters doesn't seem too far off.

It's possible that aliens are humanoid. We hardly know how life got started and how life evolves. Our best explanation that after a number of occurrences life takes hold and evolves. That's a very surface level explanation because we really don't know the mechanics that goes on. For all we know all life in the universe is cellular and eventually evolves into a humanoid looking creature. Then again, for all we know somewhere in a distance planet a creature exists that eats, shits, and sleep in lava.

Also consider that there maybe not many directions life can take. Humans share 50% of our DNA with a banana. A fruit. Why? Because those genes work only one way to do what needs to be done. Think of it in programming. How many ways you can write a for loop or while loop? Not that many when you think about it. This is convergent evolution or parallel evolution.

Given a similar environment to earth, you could very well see human like creatures on it.

Read /sarcasm in it again. Then realize scientifically speaking on a theoretical level, it is technically possible for a vastly more advanced civilization to do just that. Great minds like Dr. Michio Kaku have either spoken and/or even wrote thesis in great detail on such a possibility.

If they are land based with a similar atmosphere and gravity and temperature and need to traverse long distances efficiently, perhaps... but if they have a low gravity or evolved in water, like most life on this planet, then perhaps they would look like octopussies... octopa, octopom, octopi, whatever. Certainly in water, jet propulsion with an ability to shape the body into virtually any form while having far more appendages to manipulate your world would be more useful.

You're telling me They Live is wrong? The earth isn't becoming warmer due to the greenhouse effect, and we're not becoming more incognizant and lazy towards an elite upper class which is destroying the planet for personal gain while we all worship money and stay addicted towards our TV, computer, etc.?

If they are land based with a similar atmosphere and gravity and temperature and need to traverse long distances efficiently, perhaps... but if they have a low gravity or evolved in water, like most life on this planet, then perhaps they would look like octopussies... octopa, octopom, octopi, whatever. Certainly in water, jet propulsion with an ability to shape the body into virtually any form while having far more appendages to manipulate your world would be more useful.

Except a creature like this would never have a reason to develop technology to help it survive. It would just exist as-is because the species is already well adapted to the environment.

You need a creature that is fairly horribly adapted to living in the actual environment that also has certain things (Like being able to manipulate the environment with dexterous hands) that allow it to survive.

Strip a human of technology, and any resources to develop technology and we are horribly adapted for any environment. An octopus jet propelled thing would only ever be an octopus jet propelled thing because that's all it ever needs to be.

Except a creature like this would never have a reason to develop technology to help it survive.
Of course it would, otherwise by that logic a monkey like creature would never have needed a reason to adapt because it was already well suited to eating bananas.

For example, we have seen octopuseseses already using tools to help increase their survival. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AP_dpbTbess

Now given enough time, its quite possible that they could evolve to the point where they would learn that they can use objects in their environment to crack open crustaceans, or work together using spears to impale larger slower moving fish, or to form colonies where they could farm clams and perhaps build shelters that protect them from roaming shark patrols at night and dolphin attacks by day and so forth (two of their big predators).

You're telling me They Live is wrong? The earth isn't becoming warmer due to the greenhouse effect, and we're not becoming more incognizant and lazy towards an elite upper class which is destroying the planet for personal gain while we all worship money and stay addicted towards our TV, computer, etc.?

Okay you got me there. I'm convinced Mitt Romney is one of them.

BTW, could you imagine an octopus arming itself? It could use its two legs for locomotion on the sea floor, four arms to hold up small spiked shields each, and the remaining two arms for a long thrusting spear! Keeps you at distance with the spear attack, and if you break through it can block and stab with the spiked shields.

Or you might have little mounted ones, that figured out how to tame manta-rays that they steer while charging with lances. :D

Pure bologna!

Just look at our own planet, how many lifeforms here on earth look like us? Hell look at how closely our DNA is to apes and they aren't exactly going to pass for humans.

Then you add in the fact of how different other planets are in terms of their makeup.

I Think the kchances of aliens looking like us are slim to none.

Also have they ever watched any shows/movies?

The VAST majority of things with "Aliens" in them usually make them look extremely humanoid (because it's cheaper to do that) vs something like...say the Aliens movies.

I also forgot to add, think about our own evolutionary cycle. Humans have been around how long on this planet? What if the Dinosaurs were never wiped out? What if humans go the way of the dinosaurs? Chances are what's after us wouldn't look like us just like we didn't look like the things that came before us.

So if tthere are Aliens they'd have to:

1. Have a planet that's almost exactly like ours (in terms of makeup, gravity, oxygen, etc)
2. Have followed a similar evolutionary process that led to the humanoids being the top species on the planet.
3. Survived long enough to develop ftl space travel.

The average person trying to have a decent quality of life around the globe is the primary driver of green house gases. And AGW alarmist's proposals work best at preventing that while the rich toss a few bucks down for a tax or carbon credit and carrry on as usual.

The VAST majority of things with "Aliens" in them usually make them look extremely humanoid (because it's cheaper to do that) vs something like...say the Aliens movies.

While yes it can be cheaper, the main reason why most Aliens look humanoid is that the audience generally reacts less negatively to a known shape/form. Get too weird and many will just "not like it".

Pure bologna!

Just look at our own planet, how many lifeforms here on earth look like us? Hell look at how closely our DNA is to apes and they aren't exactly going to pass for humans.

Then you add in the fact of how different other planets are in terms of their makeup.

Also have they ever watched any shows/movies?

Even the Alien in Alien was a human form.

The guy picked to play the role in costume was found the by the director in a bar one night and had such unusual proportions he thought he was perfect.

While yes it can be cheaper, the main reason why most Aliens look humanoid is that the audience generally reacts less negatively to a known shape/form. Get too weird and many will just "not like it".
Ehhh, I think cheaper.

Farscape was hugely popular, but it was cancelled as the show was always over budget and the penny pinchers figured they can get half the ratings at 1/100th the cost with reality shows and ancient-alien show mockumentary nonsense.

japkw00007.jpg

And hell, the award winning Alien franchise, where the aliens don't look humanoid at all. The alien queen in particular looks more like a T-Rex and triceratops offspring than anything else.

But its waaaaaaaaaay cheaper to make a mobile and expressive alien character by taking a human and putting on some makeup than it is to make a robot with facial features and mobility and what not.

Pure bologna!

225px-Dr._Banjo.png

Well one of the reasons why nothing else on earth looks like us is because we're probably going to kill it. With fire. Humans have so much control over Earth on the creatures on it that nothing can evolve without our permission. We breed animals and plants to eat. We genetically engineer them now with GMO's to be eaten. We're also responsible for another mass extinction right now cause by us.

Once a creature reaches the level of human intelligence, it prevents other creatures on the planet from also evolving into us. So nothing looks like us cause humans prevent it.

The popular image of aliens (ie the greys) are essentially to us what apes see in us,
pale, hairless abductees that perform bizarre experiments on them

Yeah, like aliens would care about looking like us.... :rolleyes:

We can't even land an expedition to Mars. If they could cross the galaxy, come from another galaxy, or even span the universe to reach us their level of technology would so outpace ours that nothing we could do to them would matter. It would be like a Helicopter gunship at 1000 feet vs a bushman in a loincloth holding a spear.

Even the Alien in Alien was a human form.

The guy picked to play the role in costume was found the by the director in a bar one night and had such unusual proportions he thought he was perfect.

Not really, runs on all fours (but can move/stand on 2 legs), climbing walls, etc. Then there's the lack of visible eyes, the shape of their head, tail.

Unless I'm thinking of Humanoid wrong.

When I think of something as humanoid I mean the fact that it is bipedal, has two eyes/ears, and generally looks like a human.

To me the Alien didn't really look humanoid, compared to say, the Vulcans in Star Trek and any other numerous tv show that just had a human actor with some simple prosthetic or makeup slapped on them.

it's just a lack of imagination on our side. if kangaroos didn't exist, could we imagine them? probably not and they're not even that weird of a species.

To me the Alien didn't really look humanoid, compared to say, the Vulcans in Star Trek and any other numerous tv show that just had a human actor with some simple prosthetic or makeup slapped on them.
And the humanoid aspects of the alien in the films were again surely not desired but a practical limitation of having to have it move around on command and what not, which meant having a human inside moving it around.

And the octopus I mentioned, a lot of people don't realize that technically they two have two "legs" and walk bipedally, but they certainly aren't humanoid.

A lot of people say that an octopus has 8 arms, but two are specifically different from the other six and used for walking around on the sea floor whenever they are weighed down, and its the same two stronger legs they push off with when "jumping" to go into swim mode quickly off the sea floor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVeLz0FIj9A

So is this another thread where no one knows what they fuck they're talking about, or is it another thread where we're all trolling each other with feigned stupidity? Maybe I've just lost the ability to tell.

And the humanoid aspects of the alien in the films were again surely not desired...
You. I'm going to pick on you, because you were the last to reply before I got here.

So, ahh... H. R. Giger. Given the nature of his work, the human aspects were surely intended.

And the octopus I mentioned, a lot of people don't realize that technically they two have two "legs" and walk bipedally, but they certainly aren't humanoid.
You know absolutely nothing about that particular species or octopods in general beyond that video, am I right?

You know absolutely nothing about that particular species or octopods in general beyond that video, am I right?
Shhhh! Everyone quiet down. We have the exulted Dr Catlalan, a renowned professor from the Octopusital Studies of the Devry Institute here today to teach us real facts about Octopusies. Sir, you have the floor, please lay down the knowledge.

BTW, could you imagine an octopus arming itself? It could use its two legs for locomotion on the sea floor, four arms to hold up small spiked shields each, and the remaining two arms for a long thrusting spear! Keeps you at distance with the spear attack, and if you break through it can block and stab with the spiked shields.

Or you might have little mounted ones, that figured out how to tame manta-rays that they steer while charging with lances. :D

Is a squid close enough?

MV5BMTQ0OTA0NzcwMl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDY3ODg2OA@@._V1_SX640_SY720_.jpg

Shhhh! Everyone quiet down. We have the exulted Dr Catlalan, a renowned professor from the Octopusital Studies of the Devry Institute here today to teach us real facts about Octopusies. Sir, you have the floor, please lay down the knowledge.
Sorry, my PHD in bullshit can't possibly compete with your qualifications from YouTube. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Is a squid close enough?
Nonono, squid are clearly decapods. Ducman69 can probably find a YouTube video explaining it more clearly. :D

Sorry, my PHD in bullshit can't possibly compete with your qualifications from YouTube. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Soooo, you were just being a jerk for jerks sake. Gotcha. BTW, no, the idea that an octopus has two "legs" and six arms is not just from that youtube video... oops! https://www.google.com/search?q=sci...93&ie=UTF-8#q=octopus+two+legs+say+scientists
Marine experts at 20 Sea Life centres across Europe gathered data from over 2,000 separate observations.

They found common octopuses moved over the ground using their back two limbs, leaving the remaining six for eating.

They also use these two legs to push off when they wish to swim, and then other tentacles are used to propel them.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...-Only--legs-say-scientists.html#ixzz3et2MNpn7
So much butthurt over the linking of a simple youtube video, and you're wrong to boot. ;)

Soooo, you were just being a jerk for jerks sake. Gotcha.
Maybe just a little. :D Like I said, I wasn't sure if I was supposed to be taking you seriously or not. Now that I know it's all in good fun, there's nothing to be butthurt over.

BTW, no, the idea that an octopus has two "legs" and six arms is not just from that youtube video... oops! https://www.google.com/search?q=sci...93&ie=UTF-8#q=octopus+two+legs+say+scientists
Obviously, if a headline quotes a scientist as saying something, it must be true! I can't argue with that. It's not like it's just a matter of certain species having an interesting behavior and that there's nothing else special about those two legs.

DailyMail said:
While there is no obvious difference between any of the tentacles...
Oh. Damn. Well it's not your fault the first result was the Daily Mail.

Oooh, real science-y paper! (Another link for the same!)

Two species! Perfectly generalizable to all of them.

And it's not like your primary example was just one behavior of an unusual species that mimics other creatures as a form of camouflage, no of course not.

Ehhh, I think cheaper.

Farscape was hugely popular, but it was cancelled as the show was always over budget and the penny pinchers figured they can get half the ratings at 1/100th the cost with reality shows and ancient-alien show mockumentary nonsense.

japkw00007.jpg

And hell, the award winning Alien franchise, where the aliens don't look humanoid at all. The alien queen in particular looks more like a T-Rex and triceratops offspring than anything else.

But its waaaaaaaaaay cheaper to make a mobile and expressive alien character by taking a human and putting on some makeup than it is to make a robot with facial features and mobility and what not.

Somewhere on one of my Star Trek discs they talk about this, basically they say it's because the actor has to fit in the suit. Also this was mentioned by the Futurama people one reason they wanted to do a cartoon was so they could have alien aliens (though actually many of their aliens were humanoid too).

Of course now with CGI you only need voice actors so that should be cheaper and easier and no need for heavy rubber suits ;).

You can see them if you wear special sun glasses though. Chew some bubble gum...

Back