Supreme Court Declines To Hear Google Appeal In Oracle Case

HardOCP News

[H] News
The U.S. Supreme Court has spoken (sorta). Technically they just refused to hear the case but the end result is the same.

Oracle Corp won a major legal victory on Monday in a closely watched copyright case involving the company's Java programming language as the U.S. Supreme Court declined to hear Google Inc's appeal. The decision upholds a ruling that allows Oracle to seek licensing fees for the use of some of the Java language. Google had said it should be able to use Java without paying a fee.

I wonder how much Oracle will get in damages since this appears to be the end of the road for Google. Oracle is seeking $1B for the API headers Google literally copypasta'd into Android's code base. That's a ridiculous amount. If the court gives a wah-wah nominal amount judgement, I won't be surprised.

That's so egotistical of Google's people to think a stupid appeal for stuff they did wrong is worth the Supreme Court's time. They just need to shut up and start paying like they already do to Microsoft for other crap they stole to use in their Android spyware OS.

It appears that Google did infact use Java language in Android with the express permission of Sun.

The problem I have with patent cases and copyright cases like this, is that Oracle purchased Sun AFTER this occurred. Which means that the price that Oracle paid to acquire Sun was based on the fact that this was already occurring.

So I do not agree that Oracle can claim "damages" for something that occurred before they took ownership. Because let's say Sun did work out a licensing deal with Google. That means the value of Sun would have been different when Oracle purchased them. Yet Oracle did not pay that. So where is the damage?

As a software developer this is bad news, I hope they sort this out before it cripples the American software industry.

It's probably for Oracle since there's no way to know which way the Supreme Court would go.

They'd likely find there was a constitutional right to copy and paste, as long as it was done with a left handed mouse.

Back