Intel Highlights Automotive Innovation for the Internet of Things

HardOCP News

[H] News
Imagine stepping into a car that recognizes your facial features and begins playing your favorite music. A pair of gloves that knows the history of your vehicle from the time of its inception on the factory floor. A vehicle that detects the relevancy of upcoming road signs and displays them on your dashboard. Today at Automobil Elektronik Kongress, Intel’s Doug Davis highlighted several key Intel-supported initiatives to deliver automotive innovation including a collaboration with Jaguar Land Rover using Intel RealSense technology, Intel’s strategy for a next-generation software-defined cockpit and demonstrated a professional-grade wearable for use in automobile manufacturing. More information on these innovations, as well as Intel’s work with the broader automotive ecosystem, can be found in Doug Davis’s latest blog post.

Yeah, that's a lot of unnecessary stupid stuff in a car. It doesn't need to be a rolling, perpetually connected infotainment center. I just wanna get in, stick my stupid key thing in the stupid key thing socket, turn it and then drive someplace without being bombarded by computer-generated sounds, audio cues, driving aids, music (well I do turn on the radio sometimes) and deal with like an array of sensors and wires and pointless whizz-bang-fun-for-two-months "features" that have nothing to do with it helping me to get from home to work, a store, or to the vet.

IoT = Idiotically Obsessed with Technology

All this tech in cars is doing nothing but causing distractions. When driving you should be doing just that. It has become a common sight to see cars drifting over the center line into oncoming traffic. So many time I see some tool staring down at their phone instead of paying attention as they are driving a moving vehicle.

PAY ATTENTION TO THE FUCKING ROAD.

the only upcoming warning I need to know about speed trap warning.

Back