Samsung Deliberately Disabling Windows Update

HardOCP News

[H] News
This is odd. Why would Samsung deliberately disable Windows Update?

SW Update is your typical OEM updating software that will update your Samsung drivers, the bloatware that came on your Samsung machine, etc. The only difference between other OEM updating software is, Samsung's disables Windows Update.

It is because they are scared that a Windows update is going to break their poorly coded bloatware.

Their argument is that Windows Update will screw up your drivers. It kind of makes sense. Of course when Samsung's servers get hacked and you start getting malicious updates, people will probably be unhappy.

i know someone with a samsung all in one pc.

windows update broke it several times actually. updating to 8.1 is a nono. random updates cause it to crash and a restore needs to be done. meh, pile of junk

windows update broke it several times actually. updating to 8.1 is a nono. random updates cause it to crash and a restore needs to be done. meh, pile of junk
Nothing like tweaked proprietary hardware! Intel updates their drivers, so they go out over Windows Update, but it turns out Samsung has played with it a bit and screwed over their customer.

I do the same disabling automatic driver update on my non-Samsung machines since it tends to fuck things up or force you on a newer GPU driver that has issues when you want to say on an older version.

Nothing like tweaked proprietary hardware! Intel updates their drivers, so they go out over Windows Update, but it turns out Samsung has played with it a bit and screwed over their customer.

I've been seeing this a lot lately. The hardware shows "Intel" or "Atheros" or whatever, so you go to Intel's site to get drivers and they don't work.

Have been using three Samsung Monitors, for several years now, without using any Samsung Software, at all, and with no problems at all either?

Think the writer is inventing problems, that do not exist?

PS Steve: Since I used my First Teletype Printing Terminal, in 1971, Why can't you give me credit for 44 Plus years Computer Experience Too?

Have been using three Samsung Monitors, for several years now, without using any Samsung Software, at all, and with no problems at all either?

Samsung Monitors =/= Samsung MACHINE.

The Samsung netbook I bought a while ago was TERRIBLE about that update thing and bloatware too. There was this one security software package that you had to download an installer to uninstall and there was something quirky with the keyboard controls for screen brightness so if you updated the video driver (the one on the Samsung site was really old and not getting updated) it would run the screen at max brightness and you couldn't adjust it anymore. They're like the worst company ever.

So, wait. Samsung update installs Windows patches instead, or Samsung PC's just go unpatched.

If it's the latter, that's fucking horrible. Microsoft ought to sue them for that, or cancel all their Windows licensing.

We can't have unpatchedachines connected to the internet.

Zarathustra[H];1041689656 said:
So, wait. Samsung update installs Windows patches instead, or Samsung PC's just go unpatched.

If it's the latter, that's fucking horrible. Microsoft ought to sue them for that, or cancel all their Windows licensing.

Unpatched machines. Fucking phone keyboard...

Zarathustra[H];1041689656 said:

Seriously....Oh you got hacked because you didn't have KB09218332187821, you lost sensitive data? Oh well, but man you Samsung weather launcher app is running swell!

I encountered a similar issue with a brand new ASUS touchscreen laptop. It's impossible to upgrade to 8.1 -- somehow ASUS fudged up the chipset or whatever that it just simply isn't possible.

How sad..

I'd probably first notice that an OS won't install on the machine than I am noticing the machine disables auto updates.

I never let the original OS survive for more than 15 minutes (this is just to make sure the physical hardware works), then I proceed to format the drive (possibly also wiping the factory restore image), and install a brand new OS.

I have never found the original OS to be of any use, not with the obscene amount of unneeded software when performance is already at a shortage.

So far with the OS's I have used, none of them broke themselves with an auto update.

Samsung is a lot like Lenovo with their useless bloat. Its been known that Samsung will cut corners with their proprietary software in order to save money. This move does not surprise me at all.

Its funny, they try to be Apple but ignore the most fundamental attitude that Apple uses to make their products work well which is software.

It's been like this forever in the industry. Laptops and AIO systems are the worst offenders. AIO systems are a special kind of hell for proprietary drivers. Most laptops (most) have figured out to use the generic hardware profiles so you can use the generic updates which helps out a hell of a lot 5 years and two operating systems later when the OEM has never released an updated driver but Intel or Atheros or Realtek or whatever actually HAS.

But yes it fries my bacon when the Intel video driver update fails to install 20 times because it doesn't quite match the onboard hardware. Or the generic wireless driver doesn't work when you really need one to be compatible with modern wireless security standards and routers. Or your ATI stand alone video on the laptop has 2009 drivers... from the OEM... and there has never been an update and never will be which is some special kind of useless fraud.

So yeah, Samsung and Lenovo units always have sucked for drivers. That's a given.

I encountered a similar issue with a brand new ASUS touchscreen laptop. It's impossible to upgrade to 8.1 -- somehow ASUS fudged up the chipset or whatever that it just simply isn't possible.

How sad..

Chances are you have a tablet hybrid that uses SDIO for the chipset features (wifi, sound, etc) instead of straight up PCI or PCIe lanes.

In other words, integration hell due to lack of proper bus-based device discovery. Same problem that exists for cell phones/ARM devices: Each build of the OS must be tailored specifically for that model/device.

It's been like this forever in the industry. Laptops and AIO systems are the worst offenders. AIO systems are a special kind of hell for proprietary drivers. Most laptops (most) have figured out to use the generic hardware profiles so you can use the generic updates which helps out a hell of a lot 5 years and two operating systems later when the OEM has never released an updated driver but Intel or Atheros or Realtek or whatever actually HAS.

But yes it fries my bacon when the Intel video driver update fails to install 20 times because it doesn't quite match the onboard hardware. Or the generic wireless driver doesn't work when you really need one to be compatible with modern wireless security standards and routers. Or your ATI stand alone video on the laptop has 2009 drivers... from the OEM... and there has never been an update and never will be which is some special kind of useless fraud.

So yeah, Samsung and Lenovo units always have sucked for drivers. That's a given.

My wife's laptop will be the last Lenovo I ever buy. That retarded Lenovo help center that is supposed to be used to solve problems, is causing me and my wife MANY more problems then I think it has ever fixed ever since it existed. Removing it was a no go as now every bootup it looks for it first... putting a fresh win8 install helped a little but that caused problems using Lenovo's OEM drivers.

HP is a Damn saint compared to these two.

Typing this on a Chronos 7, love the laptop, the screen is a disaster.

That's an Android device so it's basically a data mining platform and not a computer. Since they're so simple inside, it's pretty much impossible for even an awful company like Samsung to mess them up.

How sad..

Have you tried not connected to a network? I have an HP laptop that seemed to bomb out installing 8.1 but in reality just couldn't display because of a bad driver that's picked up during the install. Once I unplugged it it's forced to use the 8.0 driver and it's fine. You still have to install the correct driver manually afterwards but at least the screen isn't black.

Anyhow back on topic. This is strike two for Samsung and me, as i was warming up to trying them again. The first looking for software updates on their phones on a non HTTPS link, causing the swiftkey exploit.

That's an Android device so it's basically a data mining platform and not a computer. Since they're so simple inside, it's pretty much impossible for even an awful company like Samsung to mess them up.

Uh, no. The Chronos 7 is a 15" laptop.
samsungseries7postimagedantetktk.jpg

It has a quad core Corei7, 8gb ram and a 640m gpu. But the screen, while an acceptable 1600X900 for its age, is a washed out mess. It's matte, so I love it for work and games, but is crap for photos.

(Sorry no edit), I bought it becuase was, at the time, a bargain for under $1000 and has next to no bezels. The keyboard is amazing, too.

It also came with Samsung's SWUpdate app. Originally it did not disable windows update, but did start recently, so away it went. Besides doing a good job of keeping most drivers up to date it was useless. It was always 6 months behind on the gpu drivers.

Oh oops! LOL, I thought it was yet another one of their Chrome things or whatever. I take it back and admit to being a big dumb-head. :D

Oh oops! LOL, I thought it was yet another one of their Chrome things or whatever. I take it back and admit to being a big dumb-head. :D

Lol, it's cool. The Chronos nomenclature was only used for a few years before they switched to the " Series 5/7/9" system, and then to whatever they have now.
I love the laptop, but Samsung's hand in it has been... persistent. That said, they updated the drives MANY MANY MANY more times than Dell ever did on my M11x R1.

The only context in which I've felt that disabling windows updates was a good idea is on very old systems, usually single-CPU/single-core systems. I've actually refurbished a few Pentium4 era systems with Win7 for their owners who are too cheap to buy a new system and only just do light web surfing and word processing. They actually work reasonably well for their intended task, but Windows Update (when it checks for updates) can actually bog down the CPU and slow down the system significantly.

Another thing is, Windows updates installs "important" updates automatically, but not "optional updates". Things like driver updates almost always show up under "optional updates". That means the owners of the system are doing updates manually in at least some context. If they are going that far on their own, what is going to stop them from simply re-enabling updates or doing something else manually - like upgrading to Windows 10?

Back