How NASA Broke The Gender Barrier In STEM

HardOCP News

[H] News
I guess it would be in poor taste to suggest that the increase in female astronauts happens to coincide with the kitchen remodel on the International Space Station. :D

The notorious lack of women in leadership roles in STEM seems to run rampant everywhere—everywhere except NASA, an administration that not only puts women at the helm, but continually gives them a platform to drive the larger conversation around the need for more women in the sciences.

Do people even know any women in real life? When I see all this head scratching about the mystery behind the supposed lack of women in STEM fields, I often wonder. Women by and large do not care about that sort of thing.

Do people even know any women in real life? When I see all this head scratching about the mystery behind the supposed lack of women in STEM fields, I often wonder. Women by and large do not care about that sort of thing.
You can blame the SJW's for making a big deal about this.

NASA is a government agency. They need to worry about only two things: Funding, and toeing the line with whatever PC experiment/craze comes down from above (see: funding). That's it.

NASA is a government agency. They need to worry about only two things: Funding, and toeing the line with whatever PC experiment/craze comes down from above (see: funding). That's it.

Congressman: "Will the Island tip over if we don't give enough funding?"
Bullshit Agency: "Yes, it will tip over if we don't do something about it!"
Congressman: "Oh my god, here's a couple billion!"

Meanwhile back in the office: "Goddamn they really are stupid".

The cold, hard fact about space exploration is that if you want to expand humanity to live in places other than Earth, you can't leave the women behind.

I would love to see female astronauts and the like on TV giving updates to kids and so forth, so people watching can see that, yes, girls can do that stuff too.

What I don't want to see, is what I feel happening here, is that attractive photogenic women are being pushed into high profile/visibility positions that they aren't qualified for to milk the positive girl-power round of applause and publicity that garners for the organization. And they don't realize that throwing these poster girls onto pedestals does more harm than good, since when they didn't earn the position that it makes everyone think that women are incompetent.
I wish they'd start demanding equality in the coal mines cause that 99.999% male shit is outta control!
And not worried they are under 1% in other dangerous fields including garbage collectors, deep sea fishers, roughnecks, auto repair mechanics, heating/AC mechanics, metal fabricators, and construction (if you discount the job of holding up the "caution/slow" sign for the crew). When it comes to risking life and limb or physically uncomfortable environments, screw that, the boys are good! ;)

The cold, hard fact about space exploration is that if you want to expand humanity to live in places other than Earth, you can't leave the women behind.
You could always do it Interstellar Plan B style!

Well, transporting large groups of people to another habitable planet would require 99.9% to be in some kind of suspended animation, as the journey even at light speed is long so you wouldn't be able to transport enough food, water, sewage treatment, air, entertainment, etc. to meet basic needs.

What I don't want to see, is what I feel happening here, is that attractive photogenic women are being pushed into high profile/visibility positions that they aren't qualified for to milk the positive girl-power round of applause and publicity that garners for the organization. And they don't realize that throwing these poster girls onto pedestals does more harm than good, since when they didn't earn the position that it makes everyone think that women are incompetent.
You're saying they can't all be Tricia Helfer like in Battlestar Galactica and Ascension?

I wish they'd start demanding equality in the coal mines cause that 99.999% male shit is outta control!

Though your point is made in jest there is a point there lol. Seriously, you can't shovel people in to fields they aren't interested in. All you can do is offer the opportunity. Until college sororities start rallying for robotics competitions as much as football games.....;)

Eventually we're going to try to colonize other worlds. No one wants a sausage-fest on that kind of mission. You probably want the opposite of a sausage-fest... some dude who's a glorified sperm manufacturer, and a bunch of women to create the next generation. So, it just makes sense to have a lot of women in NASA.

Well, transporting large groups of people to another habitable planet would require 99.9% to be in some kind of suspended animation, as the journey even at light speed is long so you wouldn't be able to transport enough food, water, sewage treatment, air, entertainment, etc. to meet basic needs.

Actually at exactly the speed of light, which is impossible, from the frame of reference aboard the ship the journey would be instantaneous due to time dilation.

I support gender equality. Therefore, women should be subject to the draft.

They almost certainly would be in the next draft, if there ever was another draft. Which there won't be, no matter how much tin-foil you wrap around your head.

they do eat less food, drink less water, poo less, and in general release less fluids then males do.

Plus they make nice sammiches :D

they do eat less food, drink less water, poo less, and in general release less fluids then males do.

Plus they make nice sammiches :D

You need a girlfriend, man. You're living in a fantasy world if you think that's all true. :D

You need a girlfriend, man. You're living in a fantasy world if you think that's all true. :D

Can't the only man in the house joke around some? My wife rarely makes sandwiches and my girls clog up the toilet. Girls do use up lots of resources in the bathroom, so maybe it evens out in the end.

It's easy to smash the "gender barrier" when you're the mother of all prestige employers.

Bill's Accounting Analysis Software Co. Ltd. isn't seeing the same number of applications from "minorities", I would bet.

Can't the only man in the house joke around some? My wife rarely makes sandwiches and my girls clog up the toilet. Girls do use up lots of resources in the bathroom, so maybe it evens out in the end.

Less fluids? You high?

Though your point is made in jest there is a point there lol. Seriously, you can't shovel people in to fields they aren't interested in. All you can do is offer the opportunity. Until college sororities start rallying for robotics competitions as much as football games.....;)

You an pressure people though. And it's what these types of people do. The stupid thing, that no one in power ( I guess ) realizes is that the people pressuring aren't even the people interested. They're only interested in others doing it, while they themselves, sit back and do easy propaganda shit.

As someone in the programming biz, I've worked at places where there was good distribution of genders, and i've worked in places that were almost all male.

Places with good balance of genders are better. Period! Women are the spice of life. They make everything better including work. Anyone who doesn't thinks so and doesn't know so still hasn't grown out of their 4th grade boys-fort mentality.

As someone in the programming biz, I've worked at places where there was good distribution of genders, and i've worked in places that were almost all male.

Places with good balance of genders are better. Period! Women are the spice of life. They make everything better including work. Anyone who doesn't thinks so and doesn't know so still hasn't grown out of their 4th grade boys-fort mentality.

Socializing with the opposite sex through work is a disaster waiting to happen. Good luck with that.

They almost certainly would be in the next draft, if there ever was another draft. Which there won't be, no matter how much tin-foil you wrap around your head.

Umm..... what?

So, enrollment in the Selective Service is required by all males age 18-25, and a pre-requisite to being able to apply for federal student loans (as in, all student loans now).

"Registration with Selective Service is also required for various federal programs and benefits, including student loans (such as FAFSA), job training, federal employment, and naturalization."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selective_Service_System

More info on who has to register:

http://www.sss.gov/FSwho.htm

My favorite part of that page:

Individuals who are born female and have a sex change are not required to register. U.S. citizens or immigrants who are born male and have a sex change are still required to register.

Also, the militia of the United States per US Code is comprised of:

10 U.S. Code § 311 - Militia: composition and classes

(a) The militia of the United States consists of all able-bodied males at least 17 years of age and, except as provided in section 313 of title 32, under 45 years of age who are, or who have made a declaration of intention to become, citizens of the United States and of female citizens of the United States who are members of the National Guard.
(b) The classes of the militia are—
(1) the organized militia, which consists of the National Guard and the Naval Militia; and
(2) the unorganized militia, which consists of the members of the militia who are not members of the National Guard or the Naval Militia.

I like the emphasis on more women in STEM fields. It can be used as a recruitment technique. We need more women in the field.

Socializing with the opposite sex through work is a disaster waiting to happen. Good luck with that.

That's exactly right! Fostering poor office communications, ensuring there are social divisions along gender lines, and generally discouraging friendships from forming between men and women improves productivity, results in better quality work across departments, and vastly improves morale. Even better, just keeping women totally out of the workplace will solve the problem entirely so that the only people men can interact with are other men. The like-minded groupthink that emerges will result in innovative product designs and stunningly successful marketing campaigns that are sure to outclass anything those stupid companies that promote diverse thinking could ever come up with.

Umm..... what?

It's kinda hair-splitt-y, but I think what the nefarious couch was getting at was that a draft is when people are actively getting taken against their will to join a military organization. Just registering with the Selective Service or whatever doesn't mean that someone is gonna like randomly throw a sack over your head when you're working at your glamorous day job as a cashier at a gas station to drag you off to boot camp and then point you at the bad guys who you're then expected to shoot at.

It's kinda hair-splitt-y, but I think what the nefarious couch was getting at was that a draft is when people are actively getting taken against their will to join a military organization. Just registering with the Selective Service or whatever doesn't mean that someone is gonna like randomly throw a sack over your head when you're working at your glamorous day job as a cashier at a gas station to drag you off to boot camp and then point you at the bad guys who you're then expected to shoot at.

And I'm quite certain that in the mid 1920's absolutely no-one thought they were slightly more than a generation from being mired in the largest war in human history. You know, they had just fought the "War to end all Wars" and all. And when did we get rid of the draft? Oh, never. We just haven't had cause to use it lately.

China's building a blue water navy and force projection capabilities and Russia's rebuilding the Red Army, but you know none of that sort of activity ever precedes military conflict. It's not like we have any sort of treaty obligations to defend our allies or some sort of massive, international organization... some sort of Alliance, perhaps... of countries who have borders in the Northern part of the Atlantic ocean.

And I'm quite certain that in the mid 1920's absolutely no-one thought they were slightly more than a generation from being mired in the largest war in human history. You know, they had just fought the "War to end all Wars" and all. And when did we get rid of the draft? Oh, never. We just haven't had cause to use it lately.

China's building a blue water navy and force projection capabilities and Russia's rebuilding the Red Army, but you know none of that sort of activity ever precedes military conflict. It's not like we have any sort of treaty obligations to defend our allies or some sort of massive, international organization... some sort of Alliance, perhaps... of countries who have borders in the Northern part of the Atlantic ocean.

Oh, that's not what I'm trying to get at. The fact is that right now, no one is being drafted. I didn't say anything about there not being the possibility of one in the future. I mean sure that could happen at any time (and we really should just round up all the junkies that are on drugs, prisoners, and other losers like alcoholics or energy drink addicts for fighting first by tempting them with their addictions for free) but it isn't right at this moment.

Besides, China and Russia are nice. Russia has those buildings with the bubble-point things on top of them and there's the guy who wrote War and Peace. I saw a movie about China where there was this kid living in some city that had a big wall around it and he ended up killing himself so they're probably okay too.

Eventually we're going to try to colonize other worlds. No one wants a sausage-fest on that kind of mission. You probably want the opposite of a sausage-fest... some dude who's a glorified sperm manufacturer, and a bunch of women to create the next generation. So, it just makes sense to have a lot of women in NASA.

Future humans are more likely to be living in subway tunnels rather than other planets.

Funny thing about that - http://gizmodo.com/nasa-engineers-offered-sally-ride-100-tampons-for-a-7-d-1594243379

Damn. Some people sound like they want a huge sausage fest at work. I like being around girls, and they are just as capable. Especially in STEM fields where it's not too physical.

IF they are just as capable. Time has proven that most of these women who bitch about not getting positions because of sexism are either not qualified for the job or just SJWs trying to keep relevant. I'm all for nerdy chicks working in video game development or computer engineering and programming as long as they're competent.

IF they are just as capable. Time has proven that most of these women who bitch about not getting positions because of sexism are either not qualified for the job or just SJWs trying to keep relevant. I'm all for nerdy chicks working in video game development or computer engineering and programming as long as they're competent.

Okay, I'm all for competence, but not everyone is "competent" in the same way. Like take some random IT customer-support related thing like a call center where there are two hypothetical support people of different genders serving two identical customers. The male support tech is stereotypically a person of few words and gets his calls done quickly with an aim of solving the technical problem. The female support tech is slower with problem resolution by quite a bit, still solves the problem, but builds better rapport so that despite being on the phone longer, the customer leaves feeling just as good, maybe a little better and thus, more inclined to purchase a product from the company later. Who's more competent? How do you quantify that difference directly? If you just look at call volume, you don't get a complete picture, but you do see a difference that tilts competence in favor of the guy. A good manager or business leader will see the difference, but not everyone considers every single factor or has that broad of a view.

The short version that I'm getting at is that measuring competence is hard to do sometimes (not all the time, because people are totally worthless and there's no question of it) so people have to be careful not to use the same yardstick to measure very different minds handling the same problem in a different way. :)

Back