Batman: Arkham Knight AMD Issues Being Addressed

HardOCP News

[H] News
WB Games made an announcement yesterday that Batman: Arkham Knight performance issues on AMD based cards is being addressed. The company also changed the minimum specs for the game as well.

We also want to note that there are some known issues with the performance of Batman: Arkham Knight for PC owners using AMD graphics cards. We are working closely with AMD to rectify these issues as quickly as possible and will provide updates here as they become available. We thank you for your patience in this matter.

I wonder if Steam and other services will allow refunds for AMD owners who no longer meet the system requirements for the game. Pretty crappy for a studio to change the minimum requirements the day before the game is launched.

On top of that, the patch notes for today's nvidia drivers didn't look all that promising either.

 [SLI, Batman: Arkham Knights] With a 4K display, a TDR occurs after the in-game
resolution is toggled and the application is exited. [200116725]
 [SLI, Batman: Arkham Knights] Heavy flickering occurs in game after Alt+Tab if SLI is
enabled. [200116723]
 [SLI, Batman: Arkham Knights] Severe stuttering seen, especially in indoor scenes,
when the game is running at 4K resolution and NVIDIA Gameworks settings are
turned on. [200116722]
 [SLI, Batman: Arkham Knights] Random flickering occurs in the game if SLI is
enabled. [200116717]
 [GM206, SLI, Batman: Arkham Knights] Stuttering occurs and performance drops
after shadow quality settings are toggled. [200116694]
 [GK180, SLI, Batman: Arkham Knights] When SLI is enabled, a crash points to
ntdll.dll shortly after the game is exited. [200116717]

This is gonna be a rough launch...

GameWorks strikes again. Glad I've learned to wait for many patches before buying an Nvidia sponsored game. So a GTX 660 and AMD 7950 are equivalent now. Only in GameWorks titles of course.

MINIMUM:
OS: Win 7 SP1, Win 8.1 (64-bit Operating System Required)
Processor: Intel Core i5-750, 2.67 GHz | AMD Phenom II X4 965, 3.4 GHz
Memory: 6 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 (2 GB Memory Minimum) | AMD Radeon HD 7950 (3 GB Memory Minimum)
DirectX: Version 11
Network: Broadband Internet connection required
Hard Drive: 45 GB available space

curious what were the previous min specs.
The previous specs didn't specify an AMD card, at all.

Minimum System Requirements
  • OS: Win 7 SP1, Win 8.1 (64-bit Operating System Required)
  • Processor: Intel Core i5-750, 2.67 GHz | AMD Phenom II X4 965, 3.4 GHz
  • Memory: 6 GB RAM
  • Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660
  • Graphics Memory: 2 GB
  • DirectX®: 11
  • Network: Broadband Internet Connection Required
  • Hard Drive Space: 45 GB
Recommended System Requirements
  • Processor: Intel Core i7-3770, 3.4 GHz | AMD FX-8350, 4.0 GHz
  • Memory: 8 GB RAM
  • Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760
  • Graphics Memory: 3 GB
  • Hard Drive Space: 55 GB
ULTRA System Requirements
  • Processor: Intel Core i7-3770, 3.4 GHz | AMD FX-8350, 4.0 GHz
  • Memory: 8 GB RAM
  • Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980
  • Graphics Memory: 3 GB
  • Hard Drive Space: 55 GB

Holy Batgate Batman! This is sizing up to be a freakin' mess + 1/2 in the making. :eek:

*gold claps*

This game has been in QA for what seems like forever and THIS is the state is looks to be in?

Doesn't look good at all... Gameworks strikes again I guess.

That is a pretty brutal thing to do. I am guessing if you only play the game for an hour or so you should get your refund, so at least there is that.

I wish people would just stop supporting Sabotageworks, then maybe NVidia would stop with the banana peel tactics.

What I find interesting is that the current consoles use AMD chips and the few reviews that have trickled out have been positive. You should be able to get a refund if you cancel your pre-order through steam today they may have the pre-load going but you can't play it yet.

What I find interesting is that the current consoles use AMD chips and the few reviews that have trickled out have been positive. You should be able to get a refund if you cancel your pre-order through steam today they may have the pre-load going but you can't play it yet.

Absolutely nobody will confirm this, but apparently the game was working rather well before Gameworks got put into the PC version.

So yes the console versions should run fine.

Even as a "proud" Nvidia owner, I've had nothing but issued with anything that has been labeled with Gameworks. I swear it's just crippleware that ends up making AMD GPU's run like ass while harming their own chips just a tiny bit less.

6GB of RAM minimum? What do they think we're made out of, lunch money?

Domingo said:
Even as a "proud" Nvidia owner, I've had nothing but issued with anything that has been labeled with Gameworks. I swear it's just crippleware that ends up making AMD GPU's run like ass while harming their own chips just a tiny bit less.
Exactly. This is exactly what's happening. Unless of course, you believe Batman's cap really needs 1 million polygons, especially at that level when the polygons being tessellated are smaller than the pixels themselves.

Absolutely nobody will confirm this, but apparently the game was working rather well before Gameworks got put into the PC version.

So yes the console versions should run fine.

Which of course begs the question, what are the gamedevs getting for loading their game down with crapware like Gameworks?

Which of course begs the question, what are the gamedevs getting for loading their game down with crapware like Gameworks?

Heh, WB don't do anything for free. You can bet on that.

On top of that, the patch notes for today's nvidia drivers didn't look all that promising either.

 [SLI, Batman: Arkham Knights] With a 4K display, a TDR occurs after the in-game
resolution is toggled and the application is exited. [200116725]
 [SLI, Batman: Arkham Knights] Heavy flickering occurs in game after Alt+Tab if SLI is
enabled. [200116723]
 [SLI, Batman: Arkham Knights] Severe stuttering seen, especially in indoor scenes,
when the game is running at 4K resolution and NVIDIA Gameworks settings are
turned on. [200116722]
 [SLI, Batman: Arkham Knights] Random flickering occurs in the game if SLI is
enabled. [200116717]
 [GM206, SLI, Batman: Arkham Knights] Stuttering occurs and performance drops
after shadow quality settings are toggled. [200116694]
 [GK180, SLI, Batman: Arkham Knights] When SLI is enabled, a crash points to
ntdll.dll shortly after the game is exited. [200116717]

Wow.

Nvidia have the best drivers in the industry, AMD graphics have been bad since the 9700 series and still are even if you singlecard, so goes the propaganda spewed forth.

LOL goes the reactions of those of us not blinded by faith.

lol, WOW! I would really like to know if there is some sort of crippleware on there and what end users or AMD could do about it legally? Class action law suit for consumers? I get you can optimize a sponsored game, but to this extent just stinks like crippleware as others have stated.

Intentionally gimping performance on a competitor's product should be a punishable FTC offense. These companies need to be slapped good and hard with fines.

Wow.

Nvidia have the best drivers in the industry, AMD graphics have been bad since the 9700 series and still are even if you singlecard, so goes the propaganda spewed forth.

LOL goes the reactions of those of us not blinded by faith.
Yeah, I mean, when have we ever seen a new title have SLI issues on launch day?

Intentionally gimping performance on a competitor's product should be a punishable FTC offense. These companies need to be slapped good and hard with fines.
Nvidia's proprietary smoke rendering feature is not a conspiracy to cripple AMD's mediocre GPUs.

Why would a game developer intentionally cripple 20% of their customers machines? It makes zero financial sense.

I don't think it is Crippleware. I think that Nvidia and the developers as it is their game; simply can't code.

seems like this is about as bug ridden as Daikatana was back in the day :/

:p Ah yes, good ole DaiCRAPtana. You young grasshoppers who never had the "pleasure" of actually "playing" that crapfest are missing out... I think some of my brain cells killed themselves after playing maybe two hours of that. I thankfully never bought it. :D

So it looks like this weeks nerd rage will be split between this game and the Fury X. :eek:

"You can't leave without Superfly"

Worse than the bugginess was how boring Daikatana was.

CrustyJuggler said:
Why would a game developer intentionally cripple 20% of their customers machines? It makes zero financial sense.
What happens is the business manager for the company makes a deal with Nvidia, (which Richard Huddy says frequently comes to 7 figures) where Nvidia pays them to put Gameworks in it (and add branding). Then the representative can say "Hey, I brought in the company million(s) of dollars for nothing!" which makes the executives smile. The devs have no say in the matter, the company is contractually obligated to use Gameworks in their game at that point, whether it benefits them or causes problems.

OpenWorks should fix this!

Richard Huddy is a very loyal AMD employee, but is hardly an accurate source of information. His versions of events are not backed up by either developers or reality really. AMD has had to walk back multiple claims he made recently.

cheap and dirty PC port after getting it to work on consoles well. Typical game industry standard.

:p Ah yes, good ole DaiCRAPtana. You young grasshoppers who never had the "pleasure" of actually "playing" that crapfest are missing out... I think some of my brain cells killed themselves after playing maybe two hours of that. I thankfully never bought it. :D

So it looks like this weeks nerd rage will be split between this game and the Fury X. :eek:

I keep reminding myself to take my copy of that game next time I want to take my 9mm to the shooting range. Utter garbage that game was........

Nvidia's proprietary smoke rendering feature is not a conspiracy to cripple AMD's mediocre GPUs.

The same reason they have "timed exclusives". Money is changing hands behind the scenes.

Wait, what? A brand new game will need new drivers to play without issues? What kind of world do we live in? Oh wait... the real one. Plus the 5gb+ day 1 patch.

Would be awesome if we could get Valve to ban all Gameworks titles from Steam. Nvidia seems to be doing everything it can to sabotage PC gaming at the moment. You'd think if they were good at writing drivers they would be good at writing game code that is directly intended to run on their own hardware. But you don't even get that. It is almost like they have an ulterior motive or something...

Interesting times. Should we go AMD and not support Nvidia shenanigans or go Nvidia and have a better experience day one. Now, I'm generalizing more than just taking a stab at this game. But still, I feel like this is the case, a lot.

OpenWorks should fix this!

Richard Huddy is a very loyal AMD employee, but is hardly an accurate source of information. His versions of events are not backed up by either developers or reality really. AMD has had to walk back multiple claims he made recently.
It's absolutely good to question the source since he's not an unbiased source by any means, but his accusations have been quite specific. Again, a million polygons tessellated on Batman's cape it something that can be tested.

What has he said that AMD had to backpedal on? I wasn't aware of that.

Back