Automated Vehicles Will Watch the Road and You

Terry Olaes

I Used to be the [H] News Guy
We're approaching an interesting crossroads in self-driving car development, where the question shifts from "Can we?" to "Should we?" This article takes a look at some of those challenges and how driver monitoring technology will influence the discussion.

Several carmakers are preparing to introduce technology that will let vehicles take even greater control of steering, braking, and accelerating on stretches of highway. But these vehicles are increasingly being designed to keep an eye on the driver after he or she has handed over control.

As long as the monitoring is only occurring during the automation enabled time frames I think it is perfectly reasonable ... as they noted, moving to another seat would prevent you from taking any action, sleeping would reduce your reaction time substantially, and reading a book or using a tablet or computer could impede the performance of the airbag or other safety devices ... until all cars are fully automatic and we have roads built for this, an ounce of safety is worth a pound of liability lawsuits ;)

You stated "Automated Vehicles." Would a more accurate description be "drone-car?" Just wondering if we can get ahead on the proper drone-naming convention. And also to shed light on the fact that every non-piloted object in the sky is not a drone.

You stated "Automated Vehicles." Would a more accurate description be "drone-car?" Just wondering if we can get ahead on the proper drone-naming convention. And also to shed light on the fact that every non-piloted object in the sky is not a drone.

The original application of the term drone, was to mean no on-board pilot in control going back decades. Not sure what your definition is, but an automated vehicle is a drone.

Where is my self driving car, dammit? And I want a mini-bar installed in that sucker. And a TV. Hell maybe a toilet.

even though i love driving, i'm for whatever it takes to reduce the amount of traffic accidents and deaths due to human error, but without the inconvenience of public transit

Back