Samsung HDD Announces 1st 4TB 2.5in Portable Drives

Terry Olaes

I Used to be the [H] News Guy
Samsung HDD, a division of Seagate Technology, announced 4TB M3 Portable and the P3 Portable external hard drives, which are the first 4TB USB-powered single drive solutions to come in 2.5” cases in the world. “Previously only attainable in desktop or bulky multi-drive internal designs, we can now achieve a 4TB capacity in a compact drive thanks to the latest Samsung HDD technology,” said Dave Klenske, director of product line management, Samsung HDD. “By going to a single drive solution, we can power the drive through just a USB connection while fitting it into a case that is only a 1/10 of an inch thicker than our 2TB drive.”

Need to see the price. If I can fit those in my 2.5" Icy Dock system these might be keepers.

Don't imagine they'll be under 200, and I wonder if they've hit these with the SMR stick.

I actually ended up selling all of my 5TB Seagates because I got irritated they didn't disclose that they were SMR and I had to find out the hard way with sluggish and inconsistent write performance.

Why isn't Seagate just using the Samsung HDD technology? Why do they have to use the Samsung brand? Seagate brand is synonymous with low quality.

Back