Bugs And Dust Void PS4 Warranty

HardOCP News

[H] News
Remember when we all laughed about Sony's "bugs will void your warranty" clause back when the console first launched? Well, it looks like this guy is the first victim. Oddly enough, no proof was given to the owner and no explanation was provided when the console was returned. :(

“Why was there no communication to me about their findings?” Levi asks. “I had to find out the status by plugging it in only to see the blue light of death again. At least send a note back with my system, telling me I’m jolly-well f****d and to have a nice day.”

I understand bugs, but not dust (I've seen some laptops caked in roach excrement before...). Opening the PS4 voids the warranty, anyway, so how are you supposed to keep dust out? These things never come with dust filters, either...

Yeah, when this happened at BBY we had to request the owner authorize us to destroy it.

They SHOULD have these, as you have dickheads that put PS4s and computers in workshops and the like where they have tons of wood dust, and then expect everyone else to buy them a replacement.

And same thing, there are nasty-mcnasties that end up with tiny roach infestations in their electronics, and then expect some guy to refurbish that and replace it for them, when it really needs to be burned with fire out back.

I have a feeling the people that get warranties voided like this are justified and are the worst of the worst, or we'd hear it more often.

After the stories I have heard from a friend who works in a Comcast warehouse I have no problem with this. Apparently its not at all uncommon to open a box and it to be filled with bugs / roaches.

As far as the dust comment keep your house clean or blow it out with some compressed air every now and then. I imagine to void your warranty it has to be an extreme amount of dust or gooey smoker dust build up.

IIRC apple will void your warranty for smoker goo build up too.

That said I do think Sony should proved a photo and description at least.

“Why was there no communication to me about their findings?” Levi asks. “I had to find out the status by plugging it in only to see the blue light of death again. At least send a note back with my system, telling me I’m jolly-well f****d and to have a nice day.”

This fellow seems like he is being a bit of a drama queen about this. Also I would be much more interested in seeing picture of this system before he took this pics, since he may have been inclined to clean it before crying on the internet.

I've worked RMA repairs for a short period of time in my life. People would send in items that were completely trashed, had stripped screws, were chewed on by an animal, or even melted and then claim the item wasn't like that when they sent it in.

Well the guy has a point if he opened up his system and found nothing in it to indicate that bugs were in it. I think Sony's tech people just took the easy way around and just hit "Bugs and dusts" in their system to reject the warranty service because they're lazy fucks.

This fellow seems like he is being a bit of a drama queen about this. Also I would be much more interested in seeing picture of this system before he took this pics, since he may have been inclined to clean it before crying on the internet.

I've worked RMA repairs for a short period of time in my life. People would send in items that were completely trashed, had stripped screws, were chewed on by an animal, or even melted and then claim the item wasn't like that when they sent it in.
The inside is pretty immaculate compared to any of those examples.

The inside is pretty immaculate compared to any of those examples.

I think the inside of his console looks fine, however if it was filthy, how does anyone know he didn't just hit it with a few seconds of compressed air before the pic?

Well the guy has a point if he opened up his system and found nothing in it to indicate that bugs were in it. I think Sony's tech people just took the easy way around and just hit "Bugs and dusts" in their system to reject the warranty service because they're lazy fucks.

This doesn't really make any sense since their job is to fix this stuff all day. Why would they randomly reject a warranty just to start working on the next ps4?

If they had people just sitting there rejecting warranties all day I doubt this would be the first we heard about it. Said person most likely would have been flagged internally for a suspicious amount of warranty rejections already.

I agree with the others that he probably just cleaned the ps4 before posting pics on the internet.

Well he does say declined for bugs so it's possible he shook them out / removed them and didn't blow anything out.

Damn, no edit.

Or it's possible they dicked him. I just fail to see the motivation to make something like that up.

Unless Sony took pictures, it's their word against his.
Maybe there was one bug (it happens), or maybe a few bugs got into his box from some other PS4 while they where sitting on the shelf waiting to be fixed.

Time to write a letter to Sony (with his pictures showing it was not that bad) and threaten small claims court.

Yeah I am still not buying this. He jumped from a declined repair yo completely ripping apart his console without a lot of interaction with Sony in the middle.

Did you not read the article?

Sony basically told him to go pound sand.

I think the inside of his console looks fine, however if it was filthy, how does anyone know he didn't just hit it with a few seconds of compressed air before the pic?

If it only takes a few seconds to blow some dust out of the system and make it look like it did in his pictures, then there really is no reason for Sony to reject it on that basis. Sony could have done the exact same thing then. Loose dust like that should not cause the system to crash.

Yeah I am still not buying this. He jumped from a declined repair yo completely ripping apart his console without a lot of interaction with Sony in the middle.

I think you missed the part where he contacted Sony and followed the rabbit hole down to find out it was decline because of "bugs and dust". He then asked if they had any proof and they said no, but it was a different department. They also said that other department is internal and all their findings were internal, meaning they wouldn't share that information with him. So yes, he did follow up with Sony before opening his system.

Its sorta pointless to argue actual fault in this specific case. You can't prove he didn't clean it up and you can't prove there wasn't some mix up or lazy worker on the other end.

I think it is safe to say that if that was his system pictured and he did not clean it up in anyway then Sony would be in the wrong for what ever reason and should be correcting the issue.

The real question is if the system pictured is the one rejected. I don't think the one in the pics was cleaned because it doesn't look like it has been. The main fain has the usual vacuums regularly, no pets, no smokers coating of dust which would be hard to maintain while getting the clean bits that clean. Also, no build up in nooks and crannies which are hard to get out completely.

Just another reason to use a PC instead of a console. Consoles are for children anyway... Or those who are not tech savvy in the least.

Just another reason to use a PC instead of a console. Consoles are for children anyway... Or those who are not tech savvy in the least.

Did you see him tearing apart his console to look for dust? The man is an electronics tech and was able to easily disassemble the system without a problem.

Don't start toe'n that Master Race PC line, it's completely not true at all.

New warranty request denied for opening the case.

7d6tZ3Z.jpg

This doesn't really make any sense since their job is to fix this stuff all day. Why would they randomly reject a warranty just to start working on the next ps4?
You sound like someone who hasn't worked in support before. I don't know about Sony, but in jobs I've, there's constant pressure to the move to the next customer / problem so that turnaround time is lower, managers look good, and they don't have to hire as many people to do the same work.

As a long time small electronics repair tech and someone who isn't inclined to instantly go on the Sony Witch hunt. There are a TON of red flags being thrown up here by this guy. Is that the actual system? Is it untouched? was it really dust it got rejected on? or was there another problem like moisture?

The short of it is, those pictures don't really prove dick. Now if that is all the dust and sony rejected it, they are 100% in the wrong. However I've used Sony's RMA service in the past and I'm highly doubtful that it got bounced by that trivial amount of dust. Also fuck some of these people and their disgusting houses sending in electronics Infested with roaches and god knows what else that I can't see. I refuse to work on anything like that.

As for the comment of "Just another reason to buy a PC". I have more horror stories from working on PC's than any other device. Sorry but the PC master race bullshit doesn't apply here, I've seen some unspeakably nasty PC's.

I'm not even sure some people here read the article. Way to go out and attack the victim.

As for the comment of "Just another reason to buy a PC". I have more horror stories from working on PC's than any other device. Sorry but the PC master race bullshit doesn't apply here, I've seen some unspeakably nasty PC's.

I was thinking more along the lines if "just another reason to BUILD a PC". Build it and maintain it yourself with ease.

I wonder if Sony puts anything in place to indicate if the unit has been disassembled? Specifically, I wonder if there was any evidence that Sony even disassembled it or if they just rejected it without doing any sort of real investigation.

I agree. This is an alarming precedent. I would think in a case like this they would provide some proof to the customer, or else it's just bad PR.

So many corporation shills and apologists, jesus christ. Read the article, the dude is the victim; a company turned down a warranty without any proof of their claims. What's the point of a warranty if a company can just say fuck it?

so many anti-consumerists on this website

So many corporation shills and apologists, jesus christ. Read the article, the dude is the victim; a company turned down a warranty without any proof of their claims. What's the point of a warranty if a company can just say fuck it?

so many anti-consumerists on this website

Consumerist.com is pretty much a Port-A-Potty for people being drama queens and shitting on large companies. They are the tabloid magazine of consumer justice...

Well I haven't even attempted to dust mine or anything and I know it's been over a year. Guess it's out of warranty and I should crack it open to dust it? Then again my PS3 is in the same cabinet +5 years and it's not complaining.

I totally understand about smokers though. Have you ever cleaned the inside of a computer used by a heavy smoker? OMG it is disgusting. I had to take apart my stepfather's laptop and the heat pipe heatsink was completely encased in cig tar. I used a hair dryer and an exacto knife to get it out. Nasty.

I was thinking more along the lines if "just another reason to BUILD a PC". Build it and maintain it yourself with ease.

The thing is the same people that end up with nasty dust filled consoles are the same people that end up with nasty dust filled PC's. I keep my PC immaculate, I likewise keep my consoles immaculate. I only dust vac them while they are in warranty, but once they are out they get torn down once a year and deep cleaned same as my PC.

Back