California Labor Commission Rules Uber Drivers Are Employees

HardOCP News

[H] News
Obviously Uber isn't going to agree with this ruling but, since it's non-binding, does it really matter?

The California labor commission has ruled that an Uber driver qualifies as an employee, not a contractor, of the company. As a result Uber will have to reimburse a driver for expenses accumulated in the line of duty. That includes $256 in tolls and the IRS rate of $0.56 per mile for use of a personal vehicle for business purposes.

Waste of time for California to even interject itself if it's going to be non-binding.

hopefully the driver can then take this non-binding ruling and slap Uber with it in court to make it binding.

but yea...it would have been better if it WAS binding.

I've never used uBer, but I wonder if anyone who has driven for them has ever done a time analysis. What are they actually making per hour? Because if you can get paid better working a second job at McD's without the wear/tear on your car, you should do that.

Waste of time for California to even interject itself if it's going to be non-binding.
Both parties agreed to this resolution method: https://www.techdirt.com/articles/2...loyees-independent-contractors-question.shtml

It's part of the state's DLSE complaint process, apparently taken to the extreme of a jury. Usually it's an administrative judge who hears both sides and gives a ruling on the spot.

Even though it's non-binding, lawyers will smell that blood in the water from hundreds of miles away. Technically Uber is an employer based on how it controls its drivers. Uber can either loosen restrictions and control it places on them (my bet is Uber will do the minimum for this), or face the trouble that's coming if it doesn't.

I've never used uBer, but I wonder if anyone who has driven for them has ever done a time analysis. What are they actually making per hour? Because if you can get paid better working a second job at McD's without the wear/tear on your car, you should do that.
If you have the time, here's a detailed article by a journalist doing undercover work as UberX driver and the earnings they were able to achieve:

http://citypaper.net/uberdriver/

The same California that just voted to subsidize illegal immigrant's health care and give them driver's license? I'm shocked.

Have to get the taxpayer money from somewhere. Cali will just sue/tax Uber when it does not comply.

The same California that just voted to subsidize illegal immigrant's health care and give them driver's license? I'm shocked.

Have to get the taxpayer money from somewhere. Cali will just sue/tax Uber when it does not comply.

Trump.jpg

What? And give up creeping on the hot chicks/dudes you pick up. :eek:

And the alternative is to have illegal immigrants go to the ER for minor things and then skip out on the bill. Or have a bunch of people driving around unlicensed.

Remember, immigration is not a state matter it's a federal issue. The state is just trying to deal with the people they have inside the borders.

And the alternative is to have illegal immigrants go to the ER for minor things and then skip out on the bill. Or have a bunch of people driving around unlicensed.

Remember, immigration is not a state matter it's a federal issue. The state is just trying to deal with the people they have inside the borders.

How about billing Mexico and sending them back along with every other illegal in the state.

How about billing Mexico and sending them back along with every other illegal in the state.

You do realize there is more than one country south of our borders, correct? But of course you do.

Besides, if you got rid of all the illegal immigrants, who would be the scapegoat for all of the country's problems?

Trump.jpg

I think a large part of the point of Uber is that is supposed to matter less? Drivers are supposed to mash their personal and work lives, hang around at home or some other event, when the GPS says they are the closest driver take it. Now how do you quantify your time in that scenario? Think about how much more many of us could do if we could just work on call at home or where ever we need to be and not have to waste time and expense dealing with a "real" job that forces us to make a commute, often buy lunch, and has a bunch of other extra expenses in both time and money.

http://www.ted.com/talks/jason_fried_why_work_doesn_t_happen_at_work?language=en

The first part of this video touches on some of those issues. But then people say but if people work from home they don't care or do work, but if your a private contractor and you need to make money so what, that's all on you. And most likely you will be motivated to snap up jobs to pay the bills.

IMO if they can prove its impossible to earn minimum wage then they should stop Uber but if the round trip from where you started and back and time involved covers your minimum wage then I don't really see the problem. You don't have to count the time a guy is "on call" or just sitting at home watching Netflix.

Oh yeah, "billing Mexico" lets see how well that works out, "bhahahahahahaha estupido gringos!"

and again, California can not deport people, immigration is a federal matter, states can not even make illegal immigration a crime (SCOTUS ruling versus Arizona a couple years back). At best they can detain illegal immigrants until the feds get off their asses to deport them, if they do that, but that takes resources finding them, getting them, and holding them. It's cheaper in the long run to let them stay within society, become a cog in the economy, and be a revenue source not a leech, the idea that illegals don't pay taxes is beyond laughable.

Better to get them insurance then have them show up at a ER and never pay. Cheaper for pretty much everyone that way.

You do know it costs about $200k for every person we deport right? Who's going to pay for that, you? You want your taxes to rise to pay for this?

Didn't think so.

This is why I've long argued a long term economic aid package to Mexico (and the rest of Central America) would be far cheaper in the long run. Until Mexico in particular gets itself fixed, the immigration problem won't go away.

You do know it costs about $200k for every person we deport right? Who's going to pay for that, you? You want your taxes to rise to pay for this?

Didn't think so.

This is why I've long argued a long term economic aid package to Mexico (and the rest of Central America) would be far cheaper in the long run. Until Mexico in particular gets itself fixed, the immigration problem won't go away.

That's absurd...;) Sure, it's probably status quo for the Obama administration's level of competence, but I guarantee you I could send them back to Mexico via first-class air for a whole lot less than $200k...;) (The sooner this administration is cleared out the better. The Democrats are making fools of their supporters. I'm embarrassed for them.)

We already give Mexico huge economic boons...ever heard of NAFTA? Drop in the bucket of what America contributes to the Mexican economy. It has made zero difference because this illegal immigration problem has been caused by this incompetent Washington administration along with a fumble-fingered Congress. Instead of a zero-tolerence for illegal immigration coupled with open arms for legal immigration, this administration has let it be known throughout South America that there's a pot of gold to be had in America (free benefits) and "Come on up!" Our government has been idiotic about illegal immigration for 30 years, but the Obama administration is clearly the most egregious abuser yet. It's gotta' stop.

Awesome, the broken record idiot brigade have arrived!

Because if you can get paid better working a second job at McD's without the wear/tear on your car, you should do that.
Of course but you gotta get a job at McD's 1st. They're still getting hundreds of applicants per job posted last I heard so the competition is fierce for minimum wage crap jobs to pay for ramen n' such.

Gotta love that economic recovery.

I'm glad to see more and more beating up on Uber. It's something new and different that gets media attention so it's sort of like the next Harry Potter book or that Game of Thrones stuff in that it needs to be regulated into being just another cab company with identical fees and services so we can stop having to hear about it.

'Beating up' on companies that treat their employees like crap and pay them crap wages just so a few rich guys can get richer is a 'fad' that will never go out of style.

'Beating up' on companies that treat their employees like crap and pay them crap wages just so a few rich guys can get richer is a 'fad' that will never go out of style.

Oh I don't care about the pay disparity part. There need to be rich guys around for sites like sugardaddie.com so they can list their assets and post pics. That's just capitalism doing it's thing and the neo-anarchilibertarian types would flip out if there was more regulation to manage the distribution of wealth via some non-capital authority like a government.

I just would like to see Uber go away because people like it and are talking about it a lot. That's just dumb because the only thing people should ever talk about is how awesome cats are compared to dogs.

Back