AMD, No. 1 in Thin Client Computing Globally, Wins with New Scalable, Low-Power Solut

HardOCP News

[H] News
AMD today announced that Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. selected the AMD Embedded G-Series SoC (system on chip) for a new line of all-in-one cloud monitors featuring integrated thin client technology. The Samsung 21.5-inch TC222W and 23.6-inch TC242W are powered by AMD Embedded G-Series SoCs that couple high-performance compute and graphics capability in a highly integrated, low power design. The AMD SoC improves data transfer rates and saves space on the motherboard, which makes it a perfect fit for the compact form factors required by thin clients.

Huh? moment for me.. didn't know Samsung made 'thin clients'.. surprised AMD won any contracts... does Samsung have any reason to avoid Intel?
Don't get me wrong, I think its great.

Are these meant to do basic computing tasks on their own, or is the SoC only there to interpret and display what the cloud is doing?

Are these meant to do basic computing tasks on their own, or is the SoC only there to interpret and display what the cloud is doing?
The CPU is really low end, the monitors only include a 32GB SSD and it comes with Windows 7 Embedded Standard. As a kiosk, it can probably run tasks locally at some minimally acceptable speed. For desktop virtualization, the CPU isn't really going to be utilized heavily.

Huh? moment for me.. didn't know Samsung made 'thin clients'.. surprised AMD won any contracts... does Samsung have any reason to avoid Intel?
Don't get me wrong, I think its great.

Percentage of market share and revenue.

A thin client is responsible for no computing besides the basic things needed to open a remote session to a virtual machine.

That would be a zero client, not a thin client.

Nope, a zero client has no local storage and the OS is typically loaded from a TFTP or FTP server.

A thin client has local storage and can run an OS on its own.

Though they are almost the same, that is the difference.

Nope, a zero client has no local storage and the OS is typically loaded from a TFTP or FTP server.

A thin client has local storage and can run an OS on its own.

Though they are almost the same, that is the difference.
A thin client can be used for computation, a zero client cannot.

However, that horsepower for computation is rather small. Small enough to be useless, but the fact still remains that it is capable of that whereas a zero client is not.

A thick client (sometimes referred so as a fat client) takes it a step further.

Back