Sex, Lies And Debt Potentially Exposed By U.S. Data Hack

HardOCP News

[H] News
I don't know about you but I had no idea that you had to reveal this kind of information on a U.S. security clearance application. :eek:

When a retired 51-year-old military man disclosed in a U.S. security clearance application that he had a 20-year affair with his former college roommate's wife, it was supposed to remain a secret between him and the government. The hacking of the White House Office of Personnel Management (OPM) could provide a treasure trove for foreign spies.

As someone who has gone through the process, the security clearance application does try to confirm that you're an upstanding American citizen.

The less you have traveled, the fewer people you have interacted with, and the less money gambles you've taken the better it is. There's good reason why so many of the people in high clearance posts are mid-western/southern white Americans.

As someone who has gone through the process, the security clearance application does try to confirm that you're an upstanding American citizen.

The less you have traveled, the fewer people you have interacted with, and the less money gambles you've taken the better it is. There's good reason why so many of the people in high clearance posts are mid-western/southern white Americans.

Yuck. So hire unworldly, sheltered folks who pride themselves in blind allegiance. Sounds about right.

I was more under the impression that the application was to see if you are capable of disclosing as much truth about your life as possible, since you know they already know more about your life than you do ;).

If you dig deep enough, everyone has something unsavory buried they don't want others to know about.

They need to know everything about you for a number of reasons.
1. They need to know your secrets, because they need to be able to assess your blackmail risk. In this instance, someone could find out about his affair, and threaten to tell about it if he doesn't expose government secrets.
2. They need to know your credit history. If you have poor credit, aside from that being a potential indicator of poor decision-making skills, it could also make you more susceptible to bribery.

Yuck. So hire unworldly, sheltered folks who pride themselves in blind allegiance. Sounds about right.

Kind of funny since many of the largest government employers exist in cities that are not at all defined by that statement. At least not in the sense that you mean it.

Sorry, my above reply was meant to include this quote.

I code monkey for the federal government. The last question the agent asked me was "do you have any skeletons in your closet?" I was stumped. If I didn't give him one, he'd probably think I was lying. I couldn't think of anything except to tell him I was gay. I wasn't hiding it, so no problems.

They just need to make sure you're not susceptible to blackmailing. I told them about all the drugs I did in college, all the stupid mistakes I made when I was young.. everything. That's the price of admission, and if someone doesn't want to go through the process, that's their right. You just can't have the job if you don't.

But then they lost all the data. The most secret data they have. Unbelievable.

Not a totally bad plan if you want someone that won't flip. Not saying others will flip, but I"m sure that's the logic. Also, getting all of the secrets a person has out of the way up front means it'll be harder to be used against you...though not sure that really counts with a 20 year affair. But hey, it's out there now, so it can't be used against him :D

Actually they do not care if you are upstanding just that you can not be forced to give up government secrets... having an affair should have flagged him as no clearance... my clearance was routinely checked for everything from bad debt to if I jay walked... as long as you did not give a dam if anyone knew you were fine. well if you had a lower one bad debt could suggest you where vulnerable to being bribed. Mine is still active after years on fun with ups and downs. I just need to justify needing one to get access to anything new.

I code monkey for the federal government. The last question the agent asked me was "do you have any skeletons in your closet?" I was stumped. If I didn't give him one, he'd probably think I was lying. I couldn't think of anything except to tell him I was gay. I wasn't hiding it, so no problems.

They just need to make sure you're not susceptible to blackmailing. I told them about all the drugs I did in college, all the stupid mistakes I made when I was young.. everything. That's the price of admission, and if someone doesn't want to go through the process, that's their right. You just can't have the job if you don't.

But then they lost all the data. The most secret data they have. Unbelievable.

It's not the most secret data they have, but now that they have lost it, I bet they have raised it's sensativity a bit. Nothing says asshole better then failing in a basic trust.

Not a totally bad plan if you want someone that won't flip. Not saying others will flip, but I"m sure that's the logic. Also, getting all of the secrets a person has out of the way up front means it'll be harder to be used against you...though not sure that really counts with a 20 year affair. But hey, it's out there now, so it can't be used against him :D

Yea, well they never actually said anything about how his old lady was with the whole 20 years of infidelity thing. She probably killed him. And, as a dead guy, I don't think anyone will have a problem with him remaining in a cleared status :D

I was disgusted with how my sf86 was handled by my local security officers, so I'm not surprised the government wasnt doing anything smart with it too.

Back