White House: Cannot Confirm Reports 14M Affected By Hack

HardOCP News

[H] News
Of course the White House can't confirm the hack, they had no idea they were even hacked. They are probably still trying to figure how it even happened.

The White House said on Friday that it could not confirm reports that as many as 14 million current and former U.S. government employees had their personal information exposed to hackers in a recent cyber attack on the federal government.

a lot of vets had their info stolen the same way and we ended up with credit reporting for three years that did nothing. my guess is that all those poor folks will end up having their identities stolen at the worst possible moment and not even know why or what to do about it.

just have to be vigilant and we need to stop using ssn as both identity and credit. so that when our identities are tied to a number there is a picture that is something we can check and keep updated. The military has my DNA on file and that is still a bit extreme...

a lot of vets had their info stolen the same way and we ended up with credit reporting for three years that did nothing. my guess is that all those poor folks will end up having their identities stolen at the worst possible moment and not even know why or what to do about it.

just have to be vigilant and we need to stop using ssn as both identity and credit. so that when our identities are tied to a number there is a picture that is something we can check and keep updated. The military has my DNA on file and that is still a bit extreme...

And how would that help with credit card applications? I kinda doubt that any company would send somebody out to verify that the on-file picture looks the same as the person trying to apply for a card.

Same goes for stolen cards in general. When was the last time you were asked for picture ID when using a card? Happens to me maybe once a year if that.. even though they are technically supposed to ask for ID when a cards is being used for payment.

What we need is pin numbers for all cards.. that would take care of a lot of CC related theft.

That or fingerprint readers to use as a confirmation password. Not many people are going to have or bother with making fake fingerprints to use a card.

They probably found out about it by reading it in the news.

It's even better than that. It was discovered entirely by accident during a product demonstration from an antivirus company.

[...] according to sources who spoke to the WSJ's Damian Paletta and Siobhan Hughes, it was in fact discovered during a sales demonstration of a network forensics software package called CyFIR by its developer, CyTech Services. "CyTech, trying to show OPM how its cybersecurity product worked, ran a diagnostics study on OPM’s network and discovered malware was embedded on the network,"

http://arstechnica.com/security/201...-employee-records-discovered-by-product-demo/

When was the last time you were asked for picture ID when using a card? Happens to me maybe once a year if that.. even though they are technically supposed to ask for ID when a cards is being used for payment.

I get asked for ID roughly twice a month, but that's probably because the signature strip on my card is worn off entirely.

This is what is so ironic...People on the one hand seem to readily acknowledge that the government is generally 20 years or so behind the curve on most matters of computer technology, but on the other hand they put great stock in that same government's ability to regulate the Internet without ruining it. Go figure...!

This is what is so ironic...People on the one hand seem to readily acknowledge that the government is generally 20 years or so behind the curve on most matters of computer technology, but on the other hand they put great stock in that same government's ability to regulate the Internet without ruining it. Go figure...!

When the regulations pretty much say "don't screw your customers, or act in an anti-competitive manner", it doesn't require a deep understanding of computer security.

Internet regulation has very little to do with the technical aspect of the internet, and more to do with contract law.

When the regulations pretty much say "don't screw your customers, or act in an anti-competitive manner", it doesn't require a deep understanding of computer security..

Those type of regulations have existed for decades, but they are not enforced. The ISP problem could have been resolved with a little anti-trust but you would have to remove the regulational layers added to protect the ISP monopolies the government put in place. And the DoJ would have to not work for a someone who is not a tool of Big Media.

These companies usually make a deal of some kind to get their exemptions like oligopoly/monopoly. Usually its the claim of some political victory that will turn out to be empty or some de facto social engineering which also will fall short. Of course the issue becomes political and when these empty deals become obvious, they blame the other guy.

Of course the White House can't confirm the hack, they had no idea they were even hacked. They are probably still trying to figure how it even happened.

Shocking. :rolleyes:
This Admin doesn't know anything, yet still wants total control.
It's come to be known as the, "We need to pass it to find out what's in it" Administration.

Back