Apple Is Going to Kill the Home Screen

HardOCP News

[H] News
Apple is once again blazing a trail to the future! Eliminating the home screen? Why has no one thought of this before?!? :rolleyes:

The home screen has always been at the center of the iPhone experience. At WWDC, Apple signaled that we’re moving on. With iOS 9, the bulk of interaction will happen elsewhere, dispersed among intelligent notification panels, powerful search tools, and context-specific suggestions that put relevant apps a flick away. The dependable home screen will still exist, but for the first time, it feels secondary. These days, the smartphone experience is just too fast and fluid to be pinned to a grid.

I bet the #1 app for iOS 9 is going to be a home screen replacement. :D

I bet the #1 app for iOS 9 is going to be a home screen replacement. :D

That is very true. This is where I personally think apple needs help. They dont believe in options. You either have something or you dont. If they do this I think a real valuable option would be (check to enable classic home screen). But i like my fellow sheep will learn to use the new UI

You're not just talking about the end of the home screen---you're talking about the end of apps themselves

This is just a click bait garbage article. The recipe is simple... Make an article about Apple, make up some story about how feature X is going to change "everything", then kick back and watch Androidiots click on the link to bash, and Apple nerds click on the link to have their minds fail to blow.

That is very true. This is where I personally think apple needs help. They dont believe in options. You either have something or you dont. If they do this I think a real valuable option would be (check to enable classic home screen). But i like my fellow sheep will learn to use the new UI
In that way they are identical to Microsoft. Which is why I use WordPerfect. I do it my way, not Apple's way or Microsoft's way.

Now the iSheep can have screen widgets, though it will probably only work on the newest hardware.

Sounds like a smart home screen, just like Android's widget area but dynamic. If its anything like how Facebook shows stuff on your feed, most will be useless and you will go to an app drawer anyways (or manually add the apps you use). Though even I know Apple makes a better product than Facebook.

The guy has a point that interfacing with these mobile devices is changing. More and more voice control is being used reducing the need for certain GUI features.

Yet there will always be "apps" and icons to click, even if it is just preference. Don't know much about IOS but just having an app list would drive me nutz... I put my commonly used apps on my desktop/home screen/start screen and use the more indepth app menus for less common... Seems like a good plan and versatile.

Without Apple wanting to say it but it sounds like Google Now Launcher with always listening contextual voice interaction, widgets, personalization, etc. Apple pretty much took Google's announcement and changed the names of the features and services.

Personally I like home-screens in general in OSes. Whether it's Android, IOS, Linux Desktop, or Windows desktop. I like organizing things the way I like them organized. I'm not a fan of "smart" notifications, etc.

I think they are high as shit at Apple.

It's the cocaine lacing all the money they have been diving into, Darkwing Duck style.
tumblr_mlcjmyszR71qjeigjo1_500.gif

Without Apple wanting to say it but it sounds like Google Now Launcher with always listening contextual voice interaction, widgets, personalization, etc. Apple pretty much took Google's announcement and changed the names of the features and services.

Uh What?

You mean Google took it from Cortana?

The reason they're phasing out home screen is so they can omit the Home button, making the phone dimensions proportion smaller while maximizing surface area proportion for the screen. Minimalist design philosophy.
The fingerprint sensor may move to back of phone.

lol using the search bar to access apps. I would have figured there was a quick way to access some kind of page with icons instead of typing or saying what you want.

Before: press home if not already on home page, (swipe if on another page), tap desired icon
After: tap search bar, start typing what you want - or - tap a button to say what you want, tap desired icon

wth?

Apple has proven that it can sink itself without Jobs so it's not completely out of realm of possibility.

I thank my lucky stars I've been immune to the Apple mind/soul virus for all of these years...! Makes me want kick my heels and do the Teaberry shuffle..!...)

lol using the search bar to access apps. I would have figured there was a quick way to access some kind of page with icons instead of typing or saying what you want.

Before: press home if not already on home page, (swipe if on another page), tap desired icon
After: tap search bar, start typing what you want - or - tap a button to say what you want, tap desired icon

wth?

So Apple copied the larger screens fro Android, copied a bunch of Android features, and now they are trying to copy parts of Microsoft's Windows 8 Metro disaster?

I'm sure this will go over real well, considering most the Apple users at the office can barely figure out how to use the existing home screen.

Sounds terrible to be honest. Unless you're a phone junky with 30-50 apps installed I can't help but feel searching/other junk trying to figure out what app you want to use is quicker than just clicking on the icon.

In that way they are identical to Microsoft. Which is why I use WordPerfect. I do it my way, not Apple's way or Microsoft's way.

I also use WordPerfect (at home). I've always hated the way Word tries to 'help' you. It's almost invariable wrong with my usage patterns.

Back