Is Stress Driving Tech Pros From Video Games?

HardOCP News

[H] News
I get it that it is very stressful to work in the video game industry, but I can think of something that is far more stressful...unemployment.

For video game developers, life can be tough. The working hours are long, with vicious bursts of so-called “crunch time,” in which developers may pull consecutive all-nighters in order to finish a project—all without overtime pay.

A few of my gaming buddies work in the gaming industry. They started off working for a company and wanted to stay at the company. Then they were laid off. A light bulb went off in their heads and now they do freelance work for gaming companies such as trailers, or getting the eyes right for a cut scene. They find that much more enjoyable and they don't have to pass a drug test.

Also they don't get laid off. :)

To Be Honest, the industry is akin to sweat shops at current. Working conditions that wouldn't be tolerated anywhere else in the US.

Years ago I wanted to work in the gaming industry. I actually started going to school for it, about a year or so in I found it made me loathe games in my free time. Then I did more research on what the conditions were like and I'm glad I stopped going down that path.

They'll be a tipping point eventually. Either the companies have better conditions or they go union in hopes to improve them.

Endemic of the Entertainment Industries, where contracts are project-based and little job security for workers

Years ago I wanted to work in the gaming industry. I actually started going to school for it, about a year or so in I found it made me loathe games in my free time. Then I did more research on what the conditions were like and I'm glad I stopped going down that path.

They'll be a tipping point eventually. Either the companies have better conditions or they go union in hopes to improve them.

Unions are already losing power across the board in the US. Too much corruption and cronyism, and usual political stalwarts are finding them increasingly disposable in the face of many a state's budget problems.

If they had a brain, those union leaders would be reaching out to the gaming industry - its the last place in the US where the working conditions are such that warrant a union, and its a partnership that could prove mutually beneficial.

That headline is callous as hell. It's basically telling the workers to deal with the shitty conditions because they are just lucky to have a job. What a fucking offensive mentality.

but I can think of something that is far more stressful...unemployment.
This is ABSOLUTELY the WRONG mentality to have!!! Come on, life is too short for being stuck in a job that absolutely destroys you.

That phrase was uncalled for. The most important thing is to be happy with that you have. One who decides to quit the gaming industry doesn't mean he's gonna be unemployed, far from it, he's going to find a job he actually enjoys. Lighten up [H].

Unions are already losing power across the board in the US. Too much corruption and cronyism, and usual political stalwarts are finding them increasingly disposable in the face of many a state's budget problems.

If they had a brain, those union leaders would be reaching out to the gaming industry - its the last place in the US where the working conditions are such that warrant a union, and its a partnership that could prove mutually beneficial.

My problem with private sector unions is because they have become bigger businesses then the company that employ their members, and their sole reason to exist has become to make money.

With that being said, this is one area that could benifit from some level of unionization, although they should know going in that this could result in them pricing themselves out of the market, as it has done with many manufacturing facilities over the years.

...and they don't have to pass a drug test.

Also they don't get laid off. :)

If your friend is doing drugs that will cause this person to fail a drug test, then a layoff is way too insignificant as punishment. Taking any controlled substance of your own free will should result in substantial criminal punishment and social stigma. Freelancing is not a permission slip to break the law and feed money into global criminal enterprises. :(

One of the reasons I avoided the gaming industry as well. Dreamed of making games as a kid but when I heard how terrible the work conditions are like, I avoided it. Wouldn't be surprised if that's why so many people left companies to start a kick starter. They get to work at their own pace with their own conditions.

One of the reasons I avoided the gaming industry as well. Dreamed of making games as a kid but when I heard how terrible the work conditions are like, I avoided it. Wouldn't be surprised if that's why so many people left companies to start a kick starter. They get to work at their own pace with their own conditions.

....and no consequences if work is not done on time or at all.

I get it that it is very stressful to work in the video game industry, but I can think of something that is far more stressful...unemployment. .

Which you will experience on a regular basis if you work in the video game industry as you will be laid off on a regular basis after the game you were working on ships.

....and no consequences if work is not done on time or at all.

A lot of developers will take advantage of their fans and do this. But there are few that won't, like Mighty No. 9. But the work conditions are so bad that it's one of the reasons why George Broussard of 3D Realms bullshitted people for over a decade about Duke Nukem Forever. His team took Duke3D's success and road it harder than a L.A. hooker. I don't blame them.

I feel like working on a video game would ruin it for me. yeah you can have influence, but it would make me want to play all day

I feel like working on a video game would ruin it for me. yeah you can have influence, but it would make me want to play all day

Its big difference when you're working on it, eventually it wears off. Think playing one level for several weeks for 8-10 hours a day testing clipping, animations, and physics just to name a few. Depending on the size of the company projects making sure your portion works well and doesn't break other parts of the game.

Same goes for a game testerr. It sounds great having to play a game for living. But imagine having to replay the library from the first Halo for several hours a day trying to find bugs, glitches and exploits. Soon it stops being fun, and turns into work.

Oh yeah I know unions are no where near as powerful as they were 50 years ago. Where I work its union, but for our case being does help. I'm government contractor maintaining flight simulators. Every 5 years or so the companies change, with it being union helps to keep things like wages and benefits intact when the companies change. It will reach a tipping point and something will have to change.

Aren't the unions and guilds still pretty tight and tough in the entertainment industry? I can imagine the gaming industry eventually getting swept under the same rug, much to the benefit of it's employees.

Tech is a tough industry for employees, the wages can be pretty good, but it's very demanding. Plus it gets incredibly corporate in many positions, most people tend to be pretty unhappy in a job like that.

Oh yeah I know unions are no where near as powerful as they were 50 years ago. Where I work its union, but for our case being does help. I'm government contractor maintaining flight simulators. Every 5 years or so the companies change, with it being union helps to keep things like wages and benefits intact when the companies change. It will reach a tipping point and something will have to change.

Whether it's state governments busting unions for lobbyists or unions growing too corrupt and killing companies there's only one group of people who usually get screwed. It sucks, but shit rolls down hill.

Back