RadioShack, U.S. States Reach Agreement on Sale of Customer Data

every fricking time they asked for your phone number when you bought a package of batteries...

I always give a non existent phone number. I don't forget it as I give it to everyone who thinks they really need one. I would never give and email address even my junk one. We are all for sale.

"The bulk of the consumer data will be destroyed, and no credit or debit card account numbers, social security numbers"
Who gives Radioshack their SSN? :)

"The bulk of the consumer data will be destroyed, and no credit or debit card account numbers, social security numbers"

Radioshack sold tons of cell phones.
On Contract cell phones = credit check = SSN.

I worked for a radioshack when I was younger, even then I gave them a 555 number.

People who sign up for a radio shack credit card that they'd pester you every time. People signing up for cell phone service to do a credit check, and I seem to recall Radio Shack made a very heavy move towards cell phones before they went belly up.

I once tried to give them the 867-5309 number but the guy knew that one. :eek:

employees who got the shaft both ways...

Why is there even a question of if they can sell it. It should not be considered an asset for them to sell...

It is a massive data base
it has
full name
address
phone #
email

and in many cases those are bogus.

Why is there even a question of if they can sell it. It should not be considered an asset for them to sell...
How could a corporation in America not be allowed to make a profit, that has to be against the Constitution

How could a corporation in America not be allowed to make a profit, that has to be against the Constitution

You are right but people are not told that their data will be sold as a matter of fact they are told that their information will only be used by the company. In this case Radio Shack. Do you still think it is right to be able to sell it after reassuring the customer that this is not the case?

Because my personal data should not be theirs to sell I get the ceos are desperate to pad the assets so they have as big of a golden parachute as possible but the customer data is something that should have been shredded.

this is not about profit to continue as a business this is about liquidating every asset they can before all the doors are shuttered.

I suppose I should have added [sarcasm] tags :)

personally I think it's bull, they can sell any of the data

personally I think it's bull, *that* they can sell any of the data

Back