US Senate Blocks NSA Surveillance Reform Bill

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Unless the US Senate can get its act together on the 31st and work at the speed of light, (something the Senate is not well known for), the NSA Surveillance Reform Bill will be dead in the water.

The House of Representatives voted 338-88 last week to approve the USA Freedom Act. The legislation would leave telephone records in the hands of carriers, while allowing the NSA to continue to collect telephone and business records in a more targeted manner.

I wish they could just cut all NSA funding, effectively closing it down.

Civil liberties ALWAYS trump safety. No exception.

Agreed. But there are always people who demand sacrificing liberty for security- or more accurately, the illusion of security. We must remain ever vigilant.

It's OK guys, I'm sure the president will use his executive power to reign in the NSA. After all, when congress fails to act, the president steps in for the benefit of all Americans.

Right?

Agreed. But there are always people who demand sacrificing liberty for security- or more accurately, the illusion of security. We must remain ever vigilant.

The powermongers want you to think you can't have both. Therein lies the problem, thinking it must be a tradeoff. You can have security and liberty for your citizens... IF you stop brainwashing them into a "surrender when confronted and let the government handle things" mentality. The citizenry must be strong willed, independent thinking and courageous people that willingly stand in the face of danger. THAT society is free and secure because everyone is protecting everyone else by protecting themselves and their own families, and coming to the aid of their fellows instead of fleeing in panic when things go bad.

It's a real simple solution: Secure the border, enforce laws equally and fairly (but firmly), and teach people the importance of self-reliance and patriotic self-sacrifice. Then get the government the hell out of the way. That's what the country was supposed to be, not the current generation of entitlement-minded whiners.

Sadly, as Murphy said... the important things are always simple, but the simple things are always hard. It's a simple solution, but who's willing to make it happen? :(

Zarathustra[H];1041620613 said:

I disagree. There has to be a balance. It's hard to say it, but there are circumstances that that would not be good. A serial murderer should lose his right to privacy if he's convicted and such things. Though, maybe you don't view this case being what you are referring to.

He did nothing. The chances of it dying were significant before he did a worthless fillabuster

Filibusters are all technically worthless, they provide a tittle time though for the public to organize and become vocal. I was aware of the filibuster on only one new report but the news report carefully excluded the circumstances. Probably because it might risk currying Paul a little good press.

Regardless of the reason for not doing a better jobs covering the story, popular government doesn't work with a corrupt 4th estate.

I disagree. There has to be a balance. It's hard to say it, but there are circumstances that that would not be good. A serial murderer should lose his right to privacy if he's convicted and such things. Though, maybe you don't view this case being what you are referring to.

Convicted felons already lose several rights, even after they have served their time and are released. For instance, in general a felon cannot own a firearm for the rest of their life. I don't always agree with that and think it should depend on the crime. But regarding law abiding citizens, they should never have to give up any rights, including privacy.

Terrorism sucks and I wish it could be wiped out completely, but that isn't realistic and it isn't a valid reason to start stripping away rights.

They all still dance around the fact that not only the "metadata" of phone calls or emails are gathered, but the entire CONTENT of calls and emails are stored. Hence the need for the 45 Petabyte facility in Utah.

If Rand Paul and the others are outraged by just the metadata, where is the mega-outrage over your actual phone conversations being held for eventual use by Police, your ex-wife, or whomever?

Zarathustra[H];1041620613 said:

I think you would have a hard time proving that using historical context.

Free speech zones.
Gun free zones.
Protesting permits.
Eminent domain.
The list goes on....

The government isn't know to back peddle.

Looks like the British government has made some moves that would make several members of the US Government and it's agencies green with envy.

Watch "Are We All Terrorists Now? Russell Brand The Trews (E322)" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/slOe_4zxQCI

Back