Woman Accidentally Shoots Herself While Taking Selfie

HardOCP News

[H] News
How does the saying go? Something about removing yourself from the gene pool or thinning the herd.

The 21-year-old found a 9mm handgun left behind by a security guard at her Moscow office and decided to pose for a photograph holding it, a police spokesman told Interfax news agency. While taking a selfie with one hand, she accidentally pressed the gun's trigger, shooting herself in the temple at close range.

Guns are not toys. Wish people still knew this kind of basic info.

I just.......but.....umm......<sigh> nevermind...........

You really have to ask yourself though, is this a good thing? If it were a kid, I'd be really pissed off at the gross negligence of the security guard. But at 21 years old, taking a selfie and shooting yourself. Seems like divine intervention to help out the gene pool.

I don't know what the gun laws are like in Russia but she probably thought it was unloaded. That it was chambered and loaded with safety off probably sitting in someone's desk is the real idiocy here.

Some people would call this a tragedy. I call this hilarious. Being stupid should be painful and this woman was beyond stupid.

Im struggling to understand how anyone can survive a shot at close range to the temple, hell actors have been killed firing blanks at close range, much less a bullet even if it was a small cal

Something or somebody "up above" is watching out for that one. To survive a shot to the temple while pointing a gun at their own head and taking a selfie is unbelievable!

I don't know what the gun laws are like in Russia but she probably thought it was unloaded. That it was chambered and loaded with safety off probably sitting in someone's desk is the real idiocy here.

Thinking a gun is unloaded is an oxymoron, if you don't KNOW a gun is unloaded, you aren't thinking.

Thinking a gun is unloaded is an oxymoron, if you don't KNOW a gun is unloaded, you aren't thinking.

That's how it is in gun country, but like I said, I don't know how Russia is with it. Seeing that she wanted to take a selfie this might've been the first gun she'd seen in person her whole life.

It sucks and all -- but really, I don't feel THAT sorry for her.

21 years old, is old enough to know you don't just point random guns you find at your head. Jesus, someone 1/2 that age should know that.

Just like if I go out and run around in the freeway, and suddenly get hit... its my own damn fault. Nobody likes to think about it, but there are quite literally people too stupid for this planet, and nature finds a way to take them out. Good for nature.

lol if that's the case - a pellet gun is even more hilarious for a security guard to carry.

Seriously - if anyones ever played with these things, the odds of actually hurting someone are pretty low. A pair of jeans or a light jacket will take away most of the bite.

point blank on a temple -- i could see it breaking the skin, and possibly fracturing her skull since that's a weak point.

That's how it is in gun country, but like I said, I don't know how Russia is with it. Seeing that she wanted to take a selfie this might've been the first gun she'd seen in person her whole life.

Judging by the Russian dash cam footage I've seen I think guns are pretty common there.

I am so sick of all this "selfie this, and selfie that" crap any more. Wasn't that a 2014 thing?

Another great contributor to society lost by cell phones.

Or she didn't think about that, just thought that posing with a gun is "cool".
Or she was just an idiot. :rolleyes:

I am so sick of all this "selfie this, and selfie that" crap any more. Wasn't that a 2014 thing?

Another great contributor to society lost by cell phones.

Cellphone and Cellphone Camera culture has been downgrading society for nearly a decade. Could you even imagine 15 years ago if you were hanging out with your friends and they pulled out a photo album of all the lunches and lattes they bought the previous week? You'd have slapped them silly and asked WTF is wrong with them. Christ this is a daily occurrence now in the digital world. People now need to be constantly reassured that they matter, that people like them, and that their lives are just as exciting. So much so they're willing to put up with the most ridiculous social media attention whoring just so they can repeat the same acts to receive their share of the attention. It's a vicious brain washing cycle

From what I heard she's also gay (not that it's good or bad). However this leads me to the observation that:

She was a fruit, now she's a vegetable!

Something or somebody "up above" is watching out for that one. To survive a shot to the temple while pointing a gun at their own head and taking a selfie is unbelievable!
Wasn't it an episode of Silicon Valley (show on HBO) where the doctor says that you should never point the gun at your temple to commit suicide because you're likely to just take out the vision centers of the brain and yet still have a good chance of surviving, and blind.

--H

P.S. Those who take pleasure in this person's idiocy though should try to remember that people on the internet are real too. ;)

Some people would call this a tragedy. I call this hilarious. Being stupid should be painful and this woman was beyond stupid.

Hilarious? You wouldn't be using that word if this happened to someone you were close to.

Was this woman stupid for pointing a gun at her head? Absolutely. She broke the 3 biggest rules of gun safety at once (assume it's loaded, don't touch the trigger, and don't point it at anything you don't intend to destroy). Even if you're not familiar with firearm safety, common sense should have kept this from happening in the first place. Regardless, that doesn't make what happened funny in any way, and is the exact reason any future children if mine will be taught from an early age how to respect a firearm.

While a picture is said to be worth a thousand words, this one is worth only one:

Idiot.

Hilarious? You wouldn't be using that word if this happened to someone you were close to.

Was this woman stupid for pointing a gun at her head? Absolutely. She broke the 3 biggest rules of gun safety at once (assume it's loaded, don't touch the trigger, and don't point it at anything you don't intend to destroy). Even if you're not familiar with firearm safety, common sense should have kept this from happening in the first place. Regardless, that doesn't make what happened funny in any way, and is the exact reason any future children if mine will be taught from an early age how to respect a firearm.

It wouldn't happen to anyone close to me. I tend to stay away from dumb people. Even my dog is too smart to take a selfie while pointing a gun to his head. Fun fact a friend accidentally shot off the end of his thumb while we were ducking in college slipped on a muddy bank. On the way to the hospital you better believe we laughed at him for being stupid enough to climb a muddy bank with a shell in the chamber and the safety off.

If it was a police officer's weapon it should be loaded otherwise it is useless. Also, since you're clearly not familiar with firearms, but many pistols do not have safeties. I don't think there are any revolvers with them. And lots of pistols only have a decocker. And the trend these days is to have neither a safety or decocker (like a Glock).

The real issue is improper storage and improper handling by the lady (finger on the trigger, pointing at face). Guns also never "go off".

She's not dead which is good news. Bad news is that selfie was the worse idea of her life.

I don't know what the gun laws are like in Russia but she probably thought it was unloaded.
Only a pure village idiot points any gun at their head and pulls the trigger... period. Even after checking that its unloaded you wouldn't do that, yet alone not checking and assuming so from a random gun.

Wasn't it an episode of Silicon Valley (show on HBO) where the doctor says that you should never point the gun at your temple to commit suicide because you're likely to just take out the vision centers of the brain and yet still have a good chance of surviving, and blind.
Yup, worst. idea. ever.

Helium + plastic bag is the way to go. Cheap, readily available, fast, certain, painless, and easy to do if you're already quasi-crippled from a degenerative non-recoverable disease.

If it was a police officer's weapon it should be loaded otherwise it is useless. Also, since you're clearly not familiar with firearms, but many pistols do not have safeties. I don't think there are any revolvers with them. And lots of pistols only have a decocker. And the trend these days is to have neither a safety or decocker (like a Glock).

The real issue is improper storage and improper handling by the lady (finger on the trigger, pointing at face). Guns also never "go off".

I'm aware most handguns do not have safeties. Also it turned out to be a pellet gun.

All pistols technically have a safety, its called not pulling the trigger! ;)

And a Glock does have a safety beyond that, right on the trigger. In fact it has three passive independent mechanical safeties. You could play street hockey with a Glock, it'll never fire until you pick it up and pull the trigger.

110518-017.jpg

Best safety ever! Don't pull the trigger, gun no go off!

But I do look forward to smart guns, where I can have a tiny chip implanted under my skin on my hand or arm somewhere, and the gun won't fire unless its within a couple feet. I believe we could make such a system reliable and light enough for practical use within five years or so if there were a market.

And that way if a kid picks it up or a criminal steals it because stupid laws require you to sometime stow your pistol in your vehicle off premise (like when going to the post office), it is useless to them. Heck, if it were ever stolen, in theory you might even be able to do like a smartphone and do a "remote kill" to where the firearm is disabled and codes can't be changed.

I know, I'm talking about a safety switch/lever/button whatever the hell you want to call it! I didn't know if the Russian gun she was using had one or not. Presumably they're not issuing Glocks to rent-a-cops over there. Anyway, it was a pellet gun. Damn. :rolleyes:

Wait, selfies were "led by celebrities?" uhh while sure Kim Karwhoredashian sure got (in)famous for doing stuff like that, celebrities were hardly the first.

Back