Cablevision Sues Verizon Over FiOS Ads

HardOCP News

[H] News
Would you look at that, Cablevision is suing Verizon again. This time around it is over misleading ads.

So what is Verizon saying that isn’t true? According to Cablevision, Verizon uses coax, and not fiber cable, inside the home in “all or nearly all cases.” Verizon might be fiber to the home, in other words, but not through it — FiOS customers’ routers, cable modems, and set-top boxes are using the same kind of wiring as anyone else’s.

When I had FiOS installed, they used the existing coax that was in place from a previous cable installation -- and charged me an activation fee per room for the privilege of having them run a signal through it.

Cablevision: Ah they're lying it's not fiber everywhere, it's fiber to the door sure but inside it's still copper
Anyone with a brain: Who fucking cares, it's not like FiOS brings 1Gbps service, coax works just fine.

This is silly. Even if they changed the wiring they'd almost certainly use Ethernet (at least that's what's done in the FTTH installs I've seen..none of which are FIOS).

Unless they really have sections outside the home that aren't fiber, this is a nuisance suit.

It's fiber all the way to the ONT. The hell is cablevision trying to pull here. What a stupid lawsuit.

Next up, yeah so it's fiber to the house, fiber in the home, but from the router is it fiber to the computer? are the connections inside the router optical fibers? No?? WE SUE YOU!

Wait, are you saying that this picture is not a 100% accurate depiction??? I am shocked! And outraged!

DirectvD12_dish2.jpg

I did always find it funny in the 2 times that I;ve had fios installed, they used exsisting cable from the outside to the router to the cableboxes. So essentially they are a cable company.,,,,then again, so is directtv if I apply the same logic. Oh well.....

They should stop using FTTH (Fiber To The Home) and instead use FITH (Fiber In The Home) because that's what it is. It's coax infrastructure up to the home then they use fiber for internal wiring. Rogers here in Canada does the same bs and installs fiber in new homes just so they don't have to share their networks with third party providers. It's not true fiber internet.

This is rather interesting. I believe when they started rolling out FiOS that they probably had the fiber laid out up to the home. Maybe towards the end of Verizon laying out the fiber network they got lazy?

Take my home for example, it was built in 2004 and I have an orange insulated fiber line running all the way to my home and into my attic. I don't know where it leads but I know it converts into coax and then splits that to the rest of the house.

Back