Amazon: Cord Cutters Don’t Go for Reality TV

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
At last, someone who has control over programming realizes Reality TV is one reason cord cutters left cable behind. Amazon has opted out of carrying several Reality TV shows that didn’t cut it with its cord cutter viewing audience.

Amazon will reportedly be taking the money it saves from opting out of these shows to invest in more original programming, and acquiring content from other suppliers that my better suit its subscribers.

I agree. I don't watch that garbage. Now that I got rid of cable, I don't miss subsidizing it.

This is probably the reason I lost all interest in tv viewing. All advertising went towards the crap reality tv and I never saw any interesting tv shows. My tv watching is essentially only sports and what the wife wants to watch with me.

Even my wife stopped watching "reality" tv and she used to be a junky.

I don't mind some reality TV, mostly the creative based ones.

Though the reality shows purely for the sake or reality shows like honey boo or survivor really prove how low society likes to go.

The makeup effect/artist one was kinda cool. Even the pawn shop one while completely rigged, at least you learn a little something.

Holy crap: a company that actually responded to what its customers want, rather than trying to force what they don't want down their throats.

I'm flabbergasted.

I don't mind some reality TV, mostly the creative based ones.

Though the reality shows purely for the sake or reality shows like honey boo or survivor really prove how low society likes to go.

The makeup effect/artist one was kinda cool. Even the pawn shop one while completely rigged, at least you learn a little something.

The only ones I go in for are the HGTV and DIYNetwork home-improvement trainwreck shows. Even then only Mike Holmes shows are the only ones I perk up to when they're on.

All the rest can DIAF

Amazon has opted out of carrying several Reality TV shows that didn’t cut it with its cord cutter viewing audience.
They should funnel that money into actual reality TV and convince ESPN to sign on. That's likely the only thing preventing a large segment of the population from cutting the cord.

Although not sure how "real" NFL football is...

Advertisements

That was the primary reason why I "cut the cord". I didn't want to pay to watch commercials.

If it does not make Amazon money, it gets cut. Not exactly rocket science.

Most reality shows, just like the Jerry Springer show and broadcast news, cause me to feel embarrassed that these "people" are the same species as me. They almost make me ashamed to be human. :(

In response, I have developed a defense mechanism. I no longer consider those people humans. That has it own pitfalls though. :p

11 minutes of commercials for a 30 minute show is why I don't watch broadcast / cable TV.

Shows like Big Bang theory are now less than 20 minute episodes. Ugh.

Maybe cord cutters are smarter than the average reality TV viewer?

still waiting for the reality of reality to start.

20 years and still nothing.

maybe they should try documentary style producing

concentrate on you know...REALITY!

I watched the first "Real World" in Manhattan. Then I saw 30 minutes of "Survivor" and that was the end of my reality TV. I've never even watched a segment of American Idol or any "talent" show. Haven't watched a series since "Party of Five". I watched the early American Chopper shows but they were locals. The show went down the tubes early. Not much on TV really. Unfortunately I like football so I keep the Fios tv,

There is some good reality TV out there, such as Deadliest Catch, Dual Survivor, and Survivorman. The problem is most "reality" on the main networks isn't real, and just plain sucks balls.

The only "reality" TV I watch is "The Amazing Race" but I watch it for the destinations, not the people. Does that count? Also, I'm a cord-cutter and watch in uncompressed ATSC HDTV OTA. (enough initialisms for ya?)

At last, someone who has control over programming realizes Reality TV is one reason cord cutters left cable behind. Amazon has opted out of carrying several Reality TV shows that didn’t cut it with its cord cutter viewing audience.

I think these types of shows are ones that you just watch when flipping channels (obviously not true for fans). I like Myth Busters, but I've never even looked to see if it's on Netflix. If I stream a show, it's scripted or a documentary.

Reality TV is one of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse.

This.

After cord cutting no more crap being dumped into my brain. It felt like shoving the equivalent of McDonalds, Taco Bell and shitty beer into my head. If I get to watching my TV now it's about educating myself rather than turning myself into a government controlled zombie. The stuff that's currently on TV and played on the radio seems to be engineered to bring this country down. All about twerking, who's sleeping with who and I guess garbage.

Ok seriously, I want to know what your guys' job titles are that you can afford paying for cable/tv. Damn, I just had to cancel my internet because I can't spend $67 on it monthly (1year promo of $30/m ran out). Then there's paying for a service to access tv. Seriously - what do you do and how can I do it? Please.

11 minutes of commercials for a 30 minute show is why I don't watch broadcast / cable TV.

Shows like Big Bang theory are now less than 20 minute episodes. Ugh.

That's why you have a DVR to record the shows and watch them later while you skip the commercials :)

Reality TV is worse then Facebook.

Reality TV vs Anaesthetic-free tooth extraction via rectal entry with a chainsaw?

Please! Keep your reality TV!

Okay! Pull-start that fucker!

0740.png

Maybe cord cutters are smarter than the average reality TV viewer?

Well, considering the average IQ of reality TV viewers is some approximation of zero, that's what we call "damning with faint praise".

Ok seriously, I want to know what your guys' job titles are that you can afford paying for cable/tv. Damn, I just had to cancel my internet because I can't spend $67 on it monthly (1year promo of $30/m ran out). Then there's paying for a service to access tv. Seriously - what do you do and how can I do it? Please.

I was a server tester when I paid for cable back in 2011. I make more now than then and refuse to ever sign up for general TV Programming....do not want to be programmed into an idiot like in Idiocracy. I have Netflix, rarely watch it but end up watch lots of good original documentaries on Youtube.

Reality TV just hasn't been the same since Bob Ross died.

Or Steve Erwin. that's about as real as it gets, dying filming your own show.

I have been giving this amazon fire serious consideration but I need to make sure it is easy mode. I don't watch TV but my family doe's. How do you get local news channels? or the weather Channel. I have a TV in 4 rooms so a box for each one and can each TV watch the same show at the same time?

more research required as i am tired of paying high price for channels that never get used and not able to get channels I want in a package i want.

I have been giving this amazon fire serious consideration but I need to make sure it is easy mode. I don't watch TV but my family doe's. How do you get local news channels? or the weather Channel. I have a TV in 4 rooms so a box for each one and can each TV watch the same show at the same time?

more research required as i am tired of paying high price for channels that never get used and not able to get channels I want in a package i want.

Local news channels, nope.

Which Weather Channel? The high def version doesn't do local weather anyway only infotainment programming, only the low def.

What happened to Discovery, The History Channel, and The Learning Channel depressed the hell out of me. It was like watching Fuddruckers devolve into Buttfuckers in the movie "Idiocracy".

If you want to take the plunge in a serious way you want the Over the Air version of Silicon Dust's Tuner with possible forward looking consideration to their DVR system. That will get you local TV. There are internet alternatives to the Weather Channel.

A wise man said:

Entertainment use to be seeing people preform at their best.
Now entertainment is seeing people at their worst.

Amazon is 100% spot on. Between shit reality TV, commercials and political ads, these are all reasons I cut the cord. Also because of shit packages, being forced to get channels you don't want, all the ones I do on 'premium tiers' (and I mean like Sci fi), and finally the overpriced cost. Not that I can't afford it, just on principle.

Or Steve Erwin. that's about as real as it gets, dying filming your own show.

I loved Animal Planet and Steve Irwin. Those weren't really "reality TV" as it is today. They were more educational and documentary type shows. You were learning about the animals and he had the personality to go with it (authentic - he really loved animals). Even AP went to crap, though.

I would love to see History, Discover, National Geographic, Animal Planet, The Learning Channel, Science Channel, Military Channel all go back to their roots. Move the XX Wars to other channels. Those scripted "Let me call a buddy" shows suck. They do have some cool stuff, but that stuff gets a 15 second educational explanation with a 20 minute fluff segment with people arguing over some old man....

I dunno about that.. sometimes I really enjoy train wrecks.

It's 100% fake/staged. My friends sister decided to go on that bridezilla piece of garbage. Every single bit of drama was staged. The real event would happen then the producer would have them redo it and tell her to yell or argue or throw shit. Staged fights with family, arguments with caterers etc. They even staged kicking out a 'wedding crasher', who was an actual friend of ours (They asked me to pretend to be that person first, told them to fuck off...). The wedding hall wouldn't allow them to film, so they staged a fake wedding with random people from a nearby party as 'guests'...........

I knew reality TV was shit before, but seeing this made me realize it's shit on a completely different level. And Muricans are drinking that koolaid by the gallon....

And Muricans are drinking that koolaid by the gallon....

Hmmm, who are these Muricans?

Speaking as a American; I really know few people that watch reality shows of any kind.
People with any brains knows it is pure trash. We Americans are educated, physically and socially conservative. We tend to be church goers. We are skilled labor and professionals in vocation.

So could these Muricans be another group?

Hmmm, who are these Muricans?

Speaking as a American; I really know few people that watch reality shows of any kind.
People with any brains knows it is pure trash. We Americans are educated, physically and socially conservative. We tend to be church goers. We are skilled labor and professionals in vocation.

So could these Muricans be another group?

thinking.png

Back