Malware Being Distributed Through GTA V Mods

HardOCP News

[H] News
This is why we can't have nice things. :(

Well sure enough, I noticed all the mods that I had downloaded for GTA V had matched the date when this folder was created. I decided to experiment. I first deleted all instances of the Fade.exe folder, the files in the temp folder, and the registry hijack. I then ran GTA V with the mods installed. Fade.exe had returned after the game had loaded up (not to the menu screen, to the game itself), along with everything else.

This is why mod pack launchers, such as Tekkit and Feed the Beast for Minecraft, are useful. The modpack launchers downloaded from a server that verifies that they are clean.

I am honestly surprised game mods aren't a more widely used deployment method for malware.

I am honestly surprised game mods aren't a more widely used deployment method for malware.

It takes more effort and wont necessarily pay off. It might even attract more attention, as it did here.

One of my younger nieces completely trashed a laptop with adware and malware just trying to download Minecraft mods. Why go through the extra trouble of actually incorporating malware with mods when you can trick so many people into downloading malware directly?

I remember when lua malware hit garry's mod a few years ago. This is what happens when a script engine doesn't restrict file rw access outside of the game's subfolder.

Back