Microsoft Confirms There Will Be No Windows 11

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Microsoft will be switching gears with the release of Windows 10. The company has confirmed that there will be no Windows 11 and will continue to issue major periodic updates to Windows 10 to improve and update the soon-to-be-released OS in the style of Apple’s OS updates for the foreseeable future.

Instead of releasing an entirely new and different version of its desktop OS every few years, Microsoft is taking an Apple-like approach to subsequent Windows releases, standardizing on Windows 10 as its Cupertino-based rival has done with OS X.

This looks like a plan ripe for undoing by Nadella's successor. ;)

Previously, when there was a bad version of Windows you could just skip it. Now, when they come up with a genius new innovation like Metro, you're going to get it forced down your throat as an update.

Once again Microsoft are thinking of themselves rather than their customer. They weren't happy that people didn't upgrade to Windows 8 because they didn't like Metro, so they've come up with a way to ensure that people will be forced to upgrade. They've taken away customer choice.

I'm glad I've started transitioning to Linux. While Microsoft's approach to upgrades is "you're going to have this update whether you want it or not!", the official upgrade advice for Linux Mint is:

When a complete new release of Linux Mint is issued, a user has several options:
1) Do nothing. It is suggested that a system working satisfactorily need not be upgraded.

That sounds like a rather more user friendly approach compared to forcing unwanted changes on users.

Windows 10 is getting worse and worse.

Previously, when there was a bad version of Windows you could just skip it. Now, when they come up with a genius new innovation like Metro, you're going to get it forced down your throat as an update.

Once again Microsoft are thinking of themselves rather than their customer. They weren't happy that people didn't upgrade to Windows 8 because they didn't like Metro, so they've come up with a way to ensure that people will be forced to upgrade. They've taken away customer choice.

(snip)

That's pretty much how I feel about the whole thing.

yeah yeah not windows 11 because next one is called windows "Whatever else than 11" once they need/want more money again

and from the looks of the reports from windows 10 preview users. i'll stay on 7

MS will release a new windows when ever they feel windows 10.x gets a bad name. Just like how windows 8.2 was renamed to windows 10...... Right didn't they say back during windows 8 they were already going to switch to this type of numbering then they only get 1 iteration in and they are already back tracking.

I'm glad I've started transitioning to Linux. While Microsoft's approach to upgrades is "you're going to have this update whether you want it or not!", the official upgrade advice for Linux Mint is:

That sounds like a rather more user friendly approach compared to forcing unwanted changes on users.

That may (or not) be the case with Mint, but there are Linux distros that follow a rolling release model. Same issue - you have to accept incoming changes.

Just saying - Linux isn't immune to the issue, just because it's Linux.

stupid move MS.
Now you can never do a marketing campaign with the greatest metal band in history.

Spinal_Tap_-_Up_to_Eleven.jpg

Rarely is there good news from MS, it just gets worse.
I dont think I'm going to risk my windows 7 key on this misadventure, I'll stick with 7 thanks.

I hate the way OSX upgrades itself, basically cramming it down people's throats, or apps are immediately incompatible. Not to mention having a very ancient UNIX system, then make it pretty and calls it a "new OS." If this is the way Microsoft is going, I'm sticking with 7 till it rots, then switch to Linux.

Seriously, what's wrong with having 11 of anything? Everyone seems to be stuck at "10." LanEvo, OSX, Windows, what's next, Furious 10?

Bull, you just do not update your Windows install, easy, peasy. :rolleyes:

I hate the way OSX upgrades itself, basically cramming it down people's throats, or apps are immediately incompatible. Not to mention having a very ancient UNIX system, then make it pretty and calls it a "new OS." If this is the way Microsoft is going, I'm sticking with 7 till it rots, then switch to Linux.

Seriously, what's wrong with having 11 of anything? Everyone seems to be stuck at "10." LanEvo, OSX, Windows, what's next, Furious 10?

OS X does not auto upgrade your OS. Otherwise, all the MAC machines I have worked on would have 10.10 installed already.

Rarely is there good news from MS, it just gets worse.
I dont think I'm going to risk my windows 7 key on this misadventure, I'll stick with 7 thanks.

Often, there is good news from Microsoft, you just do not like hearing it. :D I see nothing wrong with this and most likely, I figure they will probably, eventually, just change the name to Windows and that is that.

MS will release a new windows when ever they feel windows 10.x gets a bad name. Just like how windows 8.2 was renamed to windows 10...... Right didn't they say back during windows 8 they were already going to switch to this type of numbering then they only get 1 iteration in and they are already back tracking.

New CEO, no backtracking involved. :rolleyes: I was not aware that the new CEO had to stick to what the old CEO wanted but hey, what do I know, right?

Often, there is good news from Microsoft, you just do not like hearing it. :D I see nothing wrong with this and most likely, I figure they will probably, eventually, just change the name to Windows and that is that.

Maybe you are right, I havent seen much good that relates to my needs.
Given the impact that MS has on my favourite OS, when they make it so I dont want to use it, I'm downright annoyed.
Especially when instead of doing what the consumer wants, they do there best to force themselves down our throats.
You are welcome to it.

Especially when instead of doing what the consumer wants, they do there best to force themselves down our throats.
You are welcome to it.

The thing is there's probably not a single OS that has as diverse a user base Windows. Even as unpopular as Windows 8.x was there are still a lot of people that like it and want Windows to work well on tablets. One of the big criticisms of Windows 8.x is that it's a mixture of two different OSes. The problem is even is you put in tons of configuration options to make Windows a "desktop only" OS, no tiles, no store, no cloud and so one, Microsoft still has to do these things now because while they may be a small group, Windows tablet users are a growing group that now have a ton of hardware options to run Windows on tablet/hybrid hardware.

At this point Windows has to satisfy a lot of different needs and in some ways even as Windows 8.x failed it increased expectations. To me a desktop centric Windows simply isn't as useful as a Windows that can run on everything from a 7" tablet to huge multiple monitors. Windows has to at least have support for everything, even if that support isn't the best in all areas.

stupid move was to put metro in the start button. I really don't care what they name it as. but if make windows 11 or whatever, if they make it like windows 8 I'll give up on pc's, and move to apple (not kidding).

The thing is there's probably not a single OS that has as diverse a user base Windows. Even as unpopular as Windows 8.x was there are still a lot of people that like it and want Windows to work well on tablets. One of the big criticisms of Windows 8.x is that it's a mixture of two different OSes. The problem is even is you put in tons of configuration options to make Windows a "desktop only" OS, no tiles, no store, no cloud and so one, Microsoft still has to do these things now because while they may be a small group, Windows tablet users are a growing group that now have a ton of hardware options to run Windows on tablet/hybrid hardware.

At this point Windows has to satisfy a lot of different needs and in some ways even as Windows 8.x failed it increased expectations. To me a desktop centric Windows simply isn't as useful as a Windows that can run on everything from a 7" tablet to huge multiple monitors. Windows has to at least have support for everything, even if that support isn't the best in all areas.

Do you really think we're so dumb that you can fool us with this craziness? Windows 8 was a trainwreck on the desktop and unnecessarily so. They didn't have to make it a hybrid mess to still handle other form factors like tablets or whatever; but they did, because they did it intentionally. Everyone who was paying attention knows that it was their attempt to get people moved into the "Metro" app system and hence their app store.

I bet that Mircosoft WILL follow once Apple made a decision to rename their flagship to OS XI (11)

Do you really think we're so dumb that you can fool us with this craziness? Windows 8 was a trainwreck on the desktop and unnecessarily so. They didn't have to make it a hybrid mess to still handle other form factors like tablets or whatever; but they did, because they did it intentionally. Everyone who was paying attention knows that it was their attempt to get people moved into the "Metro" app system and hence their app store.

Whatever Microsoft's intentions the expectations of Windows have now expanded beyond the desktop and keyboard and mouse operation to quite a few folks. If Windows 10 were simply a desktop centric OS with no support for any tablet features it would get roasted alive as yet another thing that Microsoft did and then dropped.

The other thing that pisses me off about MS are posts from you and a few others..
You do nothing to improve the situation, you make it far far worse, removing all hope that there is any sanity.
My belief is that you are under their employ because I cant see why you would push their agenda so hard. You take it way beyond the point of reason, just like the post you just made.
Did I mention tablets? Did I mention the cloud? Both things I avoid.
Maybe (chance in hell) what I said is not true, I would say the opposite to anyone I know.
Make a fucking OS for desktop users that doesnt piss us off.
Its not like it has to run on a tablet, they can have their own version.
Its not that difficult, most of it has already been done very successfully.

This seems nice; no longer do I have to pour hundreds of dollars into a new OS release. I can just sit back and relax as my OS remains the same.

That is, until they release a major UI update; only then will I worry.

Bull, you just do not update your Windows install, easy, peasy. :rolleyes:

WinX will NOT allow you to refuse the update. They already announced that feature a while back. Some business licenses will allow the admin the ability to hold off on major update using some admin tool, but at some point that update will be forced to be installed once they kill support for that particular branch. They are copying the Linux distributions that have both normal (ie regular/home users) and LTS (long term support) releases (for some businesses), either way you will be forced to update at some point.

From Microsoft's Jan 21st event ( http://www.winbeta.org/news/microso...ws-81-and-windows-7-users-1-year-after-launch ) :
"This is more than a one-time upgrade: once a Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it current for the supported lifetime of the device – at no additional charge. With Windows 10, the experience will evolve and get even better over time. We’ll deliver new features when they’re ready, not waiting for the next major release. We think of Windows as a Service – in fact, one could reasonably think of Windows in the next couple of years as one of the largest Internet services on the planet," Microsoft explains.
So one of two things will happen. Either anytime you trip the windows activation cause you changed hardware enough, it'll put you in 30day trial mode and ask you to buy a new Win10 license from the store, or at some point Windows 10 will turn to Windows OS service and demand a yearly fee. I like neither option personally.

Did I mention tablets? Did I mention the cloud? Both things I avoid.

But I and millions everyday do use these things everyday with Windows. Call me whatever you want, it's simply not good enough for Windows to be a desktop centric OS anymore. However that solution gets executed is another matter and I understand that Windows 8.x failed overall in it's attempt at being a hybrid, especially with keyboard and mouse users and I know perfectly well that's that vast majority of current Windows users.

I've been using Windows for nearly 30 years. The thing I do appreciate about it is how much effort goes into retaining backwards compatibility while also trying to do new things. That is an inherently messy business and I've also long stated that Microsoft has made tons of mistakes in what it was doing with Windows 8.x. My personal thoughts were that the problems were not nearly as fatal as many have said. But however you and I will gauge the severity of the mistakes in Windows 8.x, the hybrid design is beyond necessary and critical to the future of Windows.

A desktop only Windows has no future.

They are copying the Linux distributions that have both normal (ie regular/home users) and LTS (long term support) releases (for some businesses), either way you will be forced to update at some point.

This has also always been true of Windows even with the Service Pack model or risk not being supported directly from Microsoft or not being able to install software. Windows XP SP2 might be the more forced Windows update in all of Microsoft's history, and there were a lot of good reasons why it was.

But I and millions everyday do use these things everyday with Windows. Call me whatever you want, it's simply not good enough for Windows to be a desktop centric OS anymore. However that solution gets executed is another matter and I understand that Windows 8.x failed overall in it's attempt at being a hybrid, especially with keyboard and mouse users and I know perfectly well that's that vast majority of current Windows users.

I've been using Windows for nearly 30 years. The thing I do appreciate about it is how much effort goes into retaining backwards compatibility while also trying to do new things. That is an inherently messy business and I've also long stated that Microsoft has made tons of mistakes in what it was doing with Windows 8.x. My personal thoughts were that the problems were not nearly as fatal as many have said. But however you and I will gauge the severity of the mistakes in Windows 8.x, the hybrid design is beyond necessary and critical to the future of Windows.

A desktop only Windows has no future.

Again things I'm not even remotely interested in having in my OS, looks like an MS point of view.
If they dont want to make backward compatibility such an issue, dont make pointless changes to the OS!
The desktop OS should be that which desktop users want to to use.
Give tablet users what they want as well.
Both are entirely possible without interfering with the other.
Simples. You are not doing it right.

The desktop OS should be that which desktop users want to to use.
Give tablet users what they want as well.
Both are entirely possible without interfering with the other.

But when it comes to Windows is this really true? The #1 reason why Windows RT failed is because it didn't support the desktop. And as time passes is there really going to be a growing population that want's a desktop computer frozen in 90's with no built in ability support any major concept in mobile computing? Is there a growing market for a "PC first, Local storage and execution first" world?

Christ you talk crap.
RT failed because it runs on ARM.
Who even cares about RT anyway except MS.

Nothing like a Windows 8/8.1 vs 10 vs 7 thread to afford us some truly laughable posts.

I have to ask because I'm not sure - how many of you have tried Windows 10? You know, install it and use it for more than 10 minutes? BTW, searching forums for bitchfests regarding how Win 10 looks and works isn't "using it."

Regarding Win 10: It has a ways to go, but it's not fully baked yet (fortunately).

Win 8/8.1 was half baked. MS just didn't give anyone any clue how the thing worked, so I'm not sure why they're so surprised people couldn't stand it. For us on here we have the know-how to poke around and figure it out, but trial and error shouldn't be required on an OS. Ironically, Win 10 with continuity is EXACTLY what Win 8/8.1 should have been. A new OS to fix an old failure? We certainly haven't seen that before. Sinofsky should never be able to get a job in technology ever again.

Now the possibility of 7 inch and smaller tablets running the mobile version of Win 10 is outright lunacy. It's essentially an iPad or Android tablet at that point, and if I wanted that I'd go buy one. Fortunately, I have a Stream with 8.1, so it "should" become a Win 10 desktop.

I'm interested in Server 2016, but it's odd that it's been pushed all the way out until Q2 next year. Microsoft still seems to think that the cloud services is the end all be all. I'm actually surprised they are even making an Exchange version, considering how awesome they think Office 365 is. What no one ever tells you is how fucking terrible (Comcast-level) their support can be.

Christ you talk crap.
RT failed because it runs on ARM.
Who even cares about RT anyway except MS.

Now you're just hurling out insults. I've just said what you what you're saying here. I said that Window RT failed. The Surface 3 which is x86 compatible means that Microsoft doesn't care about Windows RT anymore. Which buy the way is because the classic Windows desktop isn't ARM compatible.

You want no significant advancement in Windows. You want it to be just like is was 2 decades ago for the most part. You want it to be stagnant. And if you don't then you have no idea how to bring into 2015 any better than Microsoft.

Because you have just said that instead of personal attacks.

Back