Uber Halts Operations In Kansas

HardOCP News

[H] News
Kansas wants background checks and insurance coverage for Uber drivers? That's it, we are pulling out of your state!

“The Legislature has not taken any action preventing them from operating. They have a consistent pattern of irrational behavior, and this is just the latest example,” she said in an e-mail. “I love their product, and I use it quite frequently. I’m very confident we’ll find compromise, and today’s action only continues the process. In the meantime, it’s shameful for Uber to use their drivers and consumers as political pawns.”

Last edited:
I'm in Kansas City, Kansas

I've been following this.

Our Governor vetoed this bill a few weeks ago and said it was basically a knee jerk reaction and that it was too early for the market to decide on it's own what was good or bad. I think he also said it was dangerous to handicap new emerging technologies, etc.

This is exactly why they should out-law special interest groups from being able to buy their way into the law books.

If they have to adhere to a completely different set of regulations in every single district on the planet, they will just be regulated out of business.

They need consistent regulations to adhere to. They will need to play hardball to get it and rely on the demand from their consumers to push for it. They have the best product out there and their customers know it. So they can do this. Kansas, like everyone else, will fold.

Still the best service out there, I don't know how I lived without it. Car in shop? Uber. Want to have a care free fun night and not worry about drinking too much? Uber. Don't want to pay $50 for a parking spot? Uber. I've been using them multiple times a week for over a year now.

If they have to adhere to a completely different set of regulations in every single district on the planet, they will just be regulated out of business.

They need consistent regulations to adhere to. They will need to play hardball to get it and rely on the demand from their consumers to push for it. They have the best product out there and their customers know it. So they can do this. Kansas, like everyone else, will fold.

Still the best service out there, I don't know how I lived without it. Car in shop? Uber. Want to have a care free fun night and not worry about drinking too much? Uber. Don't want to pay $50 for a parking spot? Uber. I've been using them multiple times a week for over a year now.

Do you seriously think Kansas will fold i dont think so. UBER/lyft/ride share are taxi services plain and simple when they own up to that fact and follow the freaking law for taxis then they wont have too many problems. FFS in Chicago a taxi app that is mandatory for all taxi drivers to use. It is going to be used to hail a cab anywhere in the city i am assuming it will provide the same scheduling functions like uber/lyft.

Yes I do.

If Uber has to have wildly different policies for every state, country, region, district, whatever in the entire world they'll just go under. So no, they are not just going to give. If they have to make smaller changes that will appease a large amount of their targeted locations they will. But no, they are not going to make wholesale changes on a region by region basis.

And yes, they are betting they don't have to with the support they have from their consumers.

If they are wrong they'll just go under, which would be the same thing that would happen if they didn't put up any resistance whatsoever.

As for competing services that follow existing regulations, or even localized and less convenient(traveling to Chicago, I need to know to download the app?) solutions? I'll believe it when I see it. If it was that easy we would have seen something long before Uber. The idea wasn't amazing, it's the execution that has been.

Uber and Lyft are alive and well where I live. Trying to get a cab after midnight in this town is an exercise in futility. I've met some interesting Uber drivers and not once have they left me to die in a snow bank or over-tipped themselves like Radio Cab has.

You think yellow cab has the same taxi regulations in each state/city?

(Hint: The Answer is No. They differ in each jurisdiction)

Yes I do.

If Uber has to have wildly different policies for every state, country, region, district, whatever in the entire world they'll just go under. So no, they are not just going to give. If they have to make smaller changes that will appease a large amount of their targeted locations they will. But no, they are not going to make wholesale changes on a region by region basis.

And yes, they are betting they don't have to with the support they have from their consumers.

If they are wrong they'll just go under, which would be the same thing that would happen if they didn't put up any resistance whatsoever.

As for competing services that follow existing regulations, or even localized and less convenient(traveling to Chicago, I need to know to download the app?) solutions? I'll believe it when I see it. If it was that easy we would have seen something long before Uber. The idea wasn't amazing, it's the execution that has been.

There is only one way to avoid the impact of jurisdictions ... only be in one ;)

Amazon has to figure out how to charge sales tax (or not charge it) for the various states it ships to ... if they have special shipping requirements (no Li batteries without labels or something) then they have to comply ... if you do business in more than one jurisdiction then you need to have policies that meet the requirements of each (which is why a lot of companies have two insurance programs ... one for California, which had more restrictive requirements, and one for everyone else)

If they pass laws for Uber that don't apply to other businesses then that is an issue possibly and they should leave ... Uber's approach of saying I should be exempt from laws that my competitors have to follow isn't always right

If Uber buckles under the pressure of regulation, what does this say about their ambitions?

Uber, it was nice knowing you.

Next thing you know, Uber will close down because they have to pay corporate taxes.

UBER is a taxi service, it just uses privately owned cars and people who are not licensed to provide a cheaper service.

I am mostly libertarian, and i like the why the company operates, and I think the less restrictive rules should e applied to the existing taxi services and get some real competition going.

Back