Android Apps That Secretly Connect to User Tracking and Ad Sites

HardOCP News

[H] News
I knew there were a lot of apps out there that tracked Android users but I didn't think there were this many. :eek:

But because Google Play is more open, the apps it offers span a much wider quality range. Many connect to ad-related sites and tracking sites while some connect to much more dubious sites that are associated with malware. But here’s the problem—this activity often takes place without the owner being aware of what is going on. That’s something that most smartphone users would be appalled to discover—if only they were able to.

And just like AdBlockPlus which got removed from the Google Play store, I expect this to be removed in short order.

Hmm, not sure why this is surprising. You are tracked everywhere, some tools may help like Ghostery and rooting, but even then it's still limited.

With Ghostery alone you can EASILY see sites like CNet have half a dozen trackers. PCMag clocks in at 14 trackers... And they are not even the worst... the list goes on and on...

I still don't get the mindset of those that still believe the Internet is free and open.

But... but.. Android is so much more secure! And the apps don't use more data than say, Windows Phone!

The only uBlock that shows up on the Google Play store appears to be something to block unwanted callers.
That's strange. The uBlock I'm talking about is an ad blocker.

I didn't realize that it had recently been taken down from the Chrome store by Google:
http://www.ghacks.net/2015/04/15/ublock-origin-extension-taken-down-from-chrome-store-by-google/.
It was pretty much touted as the Adblock Plus killer. I'd just learned about the extension a week or so ago.

Sorry about that.

I laugh when folks in the US complain about the various 3 letter agencies spy efforts on citizens, then fill their houses and bodies with 'Smart' gizmos. The US 3 letter agencies are mere beginners when it comes to knowing what folks are doing on a minute by minute basis. In Monday's Wall Street Journal was an article mentioning a KS for a "Smart Fart Detector." I wonder how long before someone like the Beano folks are paying for Smart Fart Detector user data?

How is this a surprise? Google's own bundled apps like their mail client, browser, txt, and basically all their other apps already do this and even installing a custom ROM that rolls in those basic apps doesn't protect you from data collection at all. Android is just a candy-coated data gathering agent since reselling you is the only way they have of making money.

Don't know how this is news or why people are surprised. No different then using the Internet on your home PC.

But... but.. Android is so much more secure! And the apps don't use more data than say, Windows Phone!

If you haven't figured out that all computer devices have this problem then I have a bridge to sell you. It's covered in gold and diamonds. All I need is your bank account information and we can process this order today.

ALL computer devices regardless of OS are susceptible to this problem. If you see an article that tries to tell you that only this OS or only that one is susceptible to malware or software that spies on you then you really have no business using computers at all.

Articles like this are dangerous because it gives the impression that if you move to a particular phone or ecosystem then you are insulated against malware and that's just not true.

Google needs to get a grip on this. Android is the wild wild west right now.

Clearly the forum is broke...something is missing from this thread.

Back