Roku and Nielsen Team to Get Ratings for Streaming

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Neilsen is partnering with set-top box maker Roku to develop a reliable and accurate method of measuring the size of audiences streaming TV shows, giving the various streaming services a bankable demographic rating.

The development comes as somewhat of a non-surprise, as TV increasingly moves online with devices like Roku and similar set-top boxes. Nielsen agrees, with vice president Scott Rosenberg states "We believe all TV will be streamed, and with it all TV advertising."

This is bad..

You know why, because if its already an on-line streaming service then the company is already looking at statistics of visits and watches per page through the website.

There's only ONE reason why Nielsen would get involved... Advertising.

This is bad..

You know why, because if its already an on-line streaming service then the company is already looking at statistics of visits and watches per page through the website.

exactly....the end of the days of advertisement-free streaming has begun. it already pisses me off that Hulu+ has ads, but at least i'm not the one paying for that account. now once Nielsen gets involved, it's only a matter of time before the rest of the streaming services start using advertising as well. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Well, as it did before, people moved off of watching standard cable to streaming to avoid commercials and advertising.

We will again move away from streaming to something else that removes the advertising once again. The sooner and the faster someone comes up with the magical chariot that takes us away from streaming and commercials will win the race yet again.

We just want to watch out damn shows. Not have 30min of advertising in our 50min show that has been sped up 50% so they can do the entire thing in an hour.

Imo they should be paying us to watch the commercials as it's wasting our time and money as we actually pay for these services specifically to not watch advertising of any sort. Well, that is in my case.

This is bad..

There is also another interest in knowing where the viewers have gone from the advertized channels. So its not necessarily a bad thing. I wouldn't mind AMC, CBS, NBC, etc. migrating to a streaming model (aka ad sponsored free television).

Well, as it did before, people moved off of watching standard cable to streaming to avoid commercials and advertising.

We will again move away from streaming to something else that removes the advertising once again. The sooner and the faster someone comes up with the magical chariot that takes us away from streaming and commercials will win the race yet again.

We just want to watch out damn shows. Not have 30min of advertising in our 50min show that has been sped up 50% so they can do the entire thing in an hour.

Imo they should be paying us to watch the commercials as it's wasting our time and money as we actually pay for these services specifically to not watch advertising of any sort. Well, that is in my case.
The difference for streaming [for now] is that they aren't under the same control so all the streaming channels don't have to follow the same template. I have neither right now, but I think Netflix is ad free (or free from interrupting ads) and Hulu has interrupting ads and they both have a monthly. For now, they're free to be different.

Your cable/dish set top box already sends viewership information at 15 min increments back to the mothership.

BTW the biggest ratings and the highest prices are for live sporting events. Never will you be able to skip those advertisements.

Back