GIGABYTE Enables Support For Upcoming 5th Gen Intel Core Processors

HardOCP News

[H] News
GIGABYTE TECHNOLOGY Co. Ltd., a leading manufacturer of motherboards and graphics cards is proud to announce their entire line-up of Z97 and H97 motherboards now support the soon-to-launch 5th Generation Intel® Core™ processors. GIGABYTE engineers have tested and validated all GIGABYTE 9 series motherboards including Z97 and H97 chipset-based motherboards to ensure optimal performance for 5th Generation Intel® Core™ processors. Users wanting to take advantage of all the features of 5th Gen Intel® Core™ processors have to offer at launch, simply need to download the latest UEFI BIOS from the GIGABYTE website.

I didn't think there were any more 5th gen CPUs coming out and instead Skylake is suppose to drop later this year?

Broadwell desktop SKUs have not been released to the consumer market as of yet. They are scheduled to be released in June, IIRC. And yes, Skylake is still on track to be released at the end of the year, with the official launch happening in August at the IDF. Broadwell is Gen5 and uses LGA 1150 (hence this update from Gigabyte), Skylake is Gen6 and uses LGA 1151.

Yeah, why would they only give Broadwell a 6 month market time? Seems odd to me

Broadwell desktop SKUs have not been released to the consumer market as of yet. They are scheduled to be released in June, IIRC. And yes, Skylake is still on track to be released at the end of the year, with the official launch happening in August at the IDF. Broadwell is Gen5 and uses LGA 1150 (hence this update from Gigabyte), Skylake is Gen6 and uses LGA 1151.

Oh okay, I hadn't even thought about Broadwell as I had sort of written it off as just being a lower voltage Haswell but with a better GPU, neither of which I really care about much, and honestly it annoys me seeing so much time and effort that used on the GPU portion of these chips, when I know that I'll never use it.

Thanks.

Yeah, why would they only give Broadwell a 6 month market time? Seems odd to me

They want to get back on schedule. The "Devil's Canyon" Haswell chips were a stopgap due to node difficulties forcing Broadwell back a year.

I doubt we will see any IPC increases. Maybe overclocking increases due to less heat because of smaller manufacturing tech, but the smaller manufacturing tech may have the opposite effect instead.

Back