Hands On With The Military’s Experimental Smart Scope

HardOCP News

[H] News
Thanks to cool technological advancements like this smart scope, we can all be crack shots with little to no training at all. :cool:

I couldn’t count the number of processes going on inside the futuristic computer on top of the gun, but there were at least four visible sensors on the front. Facing me was a crisp display slightly smaller than a credit card showing crosshairs and some basic ballistics information. In the near future, a weapons system like this might also shoot self-guided bullets—more on that in a second.

Combine this with robots, guns that can shoot around corners, and bullets that can alter their trajectories during flight and you've got some crazy scary stuff.

Now all we need is a transporter at the end of the barrel with a targeting system that can see through walls.

"Excuse me, I'm just going to assassinate you. Would you mind standing still while I fire three shots to zero my scope. After that I'll mark the points of impact with these cyan lines, then take a moment to enter my elevation and widage corrections. Once that's done I'll then just fire three more shots to confirm my zero. Terribly sorry for the inconvenience, but if you just bare with me for a few minutes we can get on to the assassination as soon as possible."

This seems a bit useless. Am I missing something?

Its true that in its current form it uses a hands on method to "zeroing" i.e. adjusting for distance/wind. However with the gps/directional information and localized wind data these data can to some extent be precalculated.

You will although always have issues with wind blockers in the line of sight that will affect the adjustments and it requires quite a lot of geo data to handle that so its not likely anytime soon.

However if you dont worry too much about that and rely on smart guided bullets in combination with the scope then the wind (and somewhat distance) has a lesser impact. Then the scope is actually more about the other more advanced use cases like remote monitoring, coordination, friendly fire warning etc etc

Apparently no one remembers this movie, since this is where it will eventually end up:

surrogates-20090824065012645_640w.jpg

You don't have to zero every time you shoot. Just once. The scope's logic takes care of the rest after that. This is just a more broad, military version of the Eliminator series of scopes.

Back