CoD: Black Ops III Dedicated Servers Confirmed

HardOCP News

[H] News
Good news for all you Call of Duty fans out there, the next installment in the franchise will have "100% dedicated servers."

Treyarch director of development on the PC edition of Call of Duty: Black Ops III. Along the way he expresses his dislike for FPS caps on PC, that the upcoming military shooter sequel will ship with an adjustable FOV slider, and that they will use "100% dedicated servers for all ranked matches," noting this is just like the prior Black Ops games, saying "This is how we do it."

Advanced Warfare supposedly had this too (on the backend) and its matchmaking was a joke. Unless we're talking about hosted/peer-to-server "dedicated servers" this is meaningless. Their system will likely still handle it peer-to-peer with dedicated servers hidden on the backend.

unless they are rentable and controllable from the users it's fucking useless.

Most excellent news!

Last CoD game I enjoed was Blops2, but ever since Advanced Warfare came out, Blops2 just got unrelently filled with hackers. You just can't play it anymore.

Hopefully 'dedicated servers' will at least mean increased vigilance against the cheating scum.

Fov slider, no frame cap, probably will allow 144hz+ on day one too, all good news.

Most excellent news!

Last CoD game I enjoed was Blops2, but ever since Advanced Warfare came out, Blops2 just got unrelently filled with hackers. You just can't play it anymore.

Hopefully 'dedicated servers' will at least mean increased vigilance against the cheating scum.

Fov slider, no frame cap, probably will allow 144hz+ on day one too, all good news.

We all know how well Activision polices their "dedicated servers". BLOPS2 has their version of "dedicated servers" and there's no one banning the hackers. It was like that from day one.

Can't believe this has to be "announced". Its 20 fucking 15...

Dedicated servers should be expected and anything else is pathetic.

I couldn't agree more. I ditched the series when MW2 came out and gave PC gamers a big fat middle finger.

Dedicated as in hosted by the game company, or dedicated as in user ran..

cause i am sure they mean the first and not the 2nd.

But remember, not allowing user run dedicated servers and letting the company run them results in no hackers!!!! :rolleyes:

We all know how well Activision polices their "dedicated servers". BLOPS2 has their version of "dedicated servers" and there's no one banning the hackers. It was like that from day one.

More like a bunch of noobs cried hacks because they sucked. That's what happened in 90% of my games, everyone would rage quit because my team was destroying them. There weren't many hackers in BLOPS 2, and they did actually ban people for hacking.

This is true for people that have a memory (and/or half a brain). But the kids today were spoon fed "features" and they think P2P lagfests with poor network code is a feature!

Haven't they been saying this forever? They're never going back to the true dedicated servers we saw in COD4, nor will we ever see comprehensive mod tools (e.g., Radiant) for this franchise ever again.

I've been on a nostalgia kick with MW2 and MW3 recently and I can confirm both of those titles are riddled with hackers. Someone was literally on the other night with the screen name "Add Me 4 Hacks." Apparently selling hacks is a booming business these days. You avoid this problem with dedicated community servers that can kick people.

Haven't they been saying this forever? They're never going back to the true dedicated servers we saw in COD4, nor will we ever see comprehensive mod tools (e.g., Radiant) for this franchise ever again.

I've been on a nostalgia kick with MW2 and MW3 recently and I can confirm both of those titles are riddled with hackers. Someone was literally on the other night with the screen name "Add Me 4 Hacks." Apparently selling hacks is a booming business these days. You avoid this problem with dedicated community servers that can kick people.

Which is why the clan I'm in still runs COD4, BO and BF4 servers. We control them.

No rentable servers, not buying the game.

If it's anything less than what we had in COD4, then this announcement is meaningless.

I wouldn't put it past them for servers (plural with a 's' can be a total of 2) handling 100% of the ranked matches and being even worse then P2P.

Seems to me this would be a easy to solve issue by letting the community that is more then willing to host a endless number of dedicated servers for you but that will never ever happen again.

CoD 4 still has the best servers around. GIve your best guess on why they have survived for this long. The companies that make the games don't know. I am very worried about Rainbow Six.

Personally I like the current matchmaking. As long as the back end has Activision servers and its not P2P. The current players on CoD isn't mature enough for full dedicated servers. I stopped playing MW3 on PC because people would kicked you because they forced host onto themselves and could disconnect you from the game.

CoD 4 still has the best servers around. GIve your best guess on why they have survived for this long. The companies that make the games don't know. I am very worried about Rainbow Six.

cause the current top servers are "cracked" lol

I wouldn't put it past them for servers (plural with a 's' can be a total of 2) handling 100% of the ranked matches and being even worse then P2P.

Seems to me this would be a easy to solve issue by letting the community that is more then willing to host a endless number of dedicated servers for you but that will never ever happen again.

This is exactly the same empty promises we heard after MW2 failed to have any (to the surprise of anyone with half a brain) and then the build up to MW3 where they said there would be. But come game release time... nothing of the sort.

These developers (or whoever it is paying the actual code writers and forcing them to create designed obsolescence) don't want to create games for gamers any more. Its to mainstream now, now its all about money making and to hell with any form of common sense, customer driven, quality driven decisions or content. Damn shame as CoD4 was an absolute home run when it comes to the core game-play mechanics and most of the other parts were great as well. All the sequels needed to be were more of the same.. with a few things tweaked to make BETTER and then just have-at-it and make as much content as possible.

When you look at MW3, it still has that great sense of what CoD4 had. It just brings it crashing down due to all the bugs and lack of attention to detail (even though there is more depth int hings like the stats and what-not, the bugs just totally wreck it, i haven't played on the PC so i'm referring to the 360 version).

Back