Debian Team Announces the Release of Debian 8

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
After two years of development, Debian 8 has finally been released to the public. With the code name of Jessie, the new operating system has many new features and will be supported for at least the next five years. If you are interested in the new distro of Linux, the download link is included. :cool:

True, many of the available packages are not the most up-to-date, but this operating system does not focus on the bleeding edge. Instead, Debian is a good distro if you want reliability and dependability.

"many of the available packages are not the most up-to-date"...LMAO no shit Sherlock. None of them are. And all of them are patched to snot, because old code patched beyond recognition is necessarily superior to new code that just works natively....because the new code is newer and therefore must be bad. At least in Bizzaro Debian land.

"many of the available packages are not the most up-to-date"...LMAO no shit Sherlock. None of them are. And all of them are patched to snot, because old code patched beyond recognition is necessarily superior to new code that just works natively....because the new code is newer and therefore must be bad. At least in Bizzaro Debian land.

if everybody agreed with you, these distros and trail-the-bleeding-edge policies wouldnt exist. outside of labs and basements, thats largely the de facto position companies and agencies take.

Debian gives you choices: you can use a stable release that has had some time to marinate and historically has a pretty good record of working for a long time, with a reasonable upgrade path to the next release (whenever it shows up); or if you prefer, you can run unstable, and have mostly current packages, subject to the caveat that upgrading is as likely to fix things as to break things (caveat: around release time, unstable gets quieter). Or you can do things like use the stable with backports, so for things that the upstream developers can't be bothered to make a good release ever (mostly Wordpress, but also browsers tend not to age well either), you can stay on top of them, without updating everything all the time.

I too run my servers on unstable-testing, because who needs stability, right?

Yeah, this is pretty much the rule with most distros. They stick to old buggy version of software.
Upgraded some PCs to the latest version of Mint. My company uses a private XMPP server that has self-signed certificates (most private ones do).
To my shock the new version of Pidgin (10.9.9) contained a bug that refused self-signed certificates. (bug in Libpurple). Bug was squashed in latest version (10.10.11) but Mint didn't support it. Other most other IM clients that support XMPP use Libpurple also, go I got the same results.
Setting Pidgin for PPA updates, Well it didn't like the never version and refused.
The whole system was installed and ready to go accept for this BS.

Ended up wiping the HD and installing Xubuntu 14.10. It like the latest version of Pidgin, everything worked fine.
But the truth is I switch from Xubuntu to Mint a couple years back because of a similar software version issue with Xubuntu.

Seems most distros use a OLD version of the kernel too. The latest kernel is 4.0; I'm on 3.16 now.

I too run my servers on unstable-testing, because who needs stability, right?

Old != Stable

Nice example back a few years ago Debian had KDE4.0...which was quite frankly the most unstable immature and unusable DE around at the time. They were patching 4.0 into Debian when KDE 4.4 was already out and fixed all the crap they were trying to patch, and was a infinitely more mature and usable DE....why didn't Debian just use the newer code that frankly worked better 20-ways to Sunday? Because it wasn't 3 years old....and any code 3 years old is automatically "better".

Just like Internet Explorer 6 is necessarily better than Internet Explorer 10, because IE6 is 14 years old. Being 14 years old it *has* to be "stable"

Back