Mini’s Augmented Reality Goggles Tested

HardOCP News

[H] News
While the goggles may look a bit goofy, I actually like Mini's take on augmented reality. The hardware used to power the goggles is pretty damn impressive as well.

Mounted on top of the thick, rubberized frame is Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 805 chipset, the same one inside the Samsung Galaxy S5, running Android (4.4 Kit Kat) and using its Vuforia AR software. That processes all the information from the sensors and wireless connection inside the car, while graphics are project onto a second layer of glass through 720p screens – one of the reasons the goggles are so damn thick.

The potential is great, but so is the "dork factor".
I'm sure they'd go over much better if they looked more like the other glasses shown.

And since we all know how well Human Beings do multitasking in cars, expect this novelty to last about as long as the first class action suit takes to form up..........

The potential is great, but so is the "dork factor".
I'm sure they'd go over much better if they looked more like the other glasses shown.

I guess though if you are driving a MINI you are probably already wearing dorky plastic framed glasses.

I know I am.

Regardless of the application within the mini, this will spur similar technology for both VR and AR hardware.
Imagine this see-through technology with no constraints- dependent solely on the data available. Imagine soldiers, police officers, fire fighters, with this technology. Quadcopters in active deployment around a user might be all that is required.

Regardless of the application within the mini, this will spur similar technology for both VR and AR hardware.
Imagine this see-through technology with no constraints- dependent solely on the data available. Imagine soldiers, police officers, fire fighters, with this technology. Quadcopters in active deployment around a user might be all that is required.

You mean like those things that camera flash you in the face in Half Life 2?

Somehow I don't think quadcopters would be very useful in fires, wars, covert operations, or any time you are trying to be stealthy.

The future is looking very bright. :rolleyes:

Back