Flash Player Bug Allows Video, Audio Recording Without User Consent

HardOCP News

[H] News
Adobe Flash Player having a vulnerability? That's unheard of. This must be some sort of mistake.

A vulnerability in some versions of Adobe Flash Player could be exploited by ill-intended actors to spy on user activity via built-in webcam and microphone, without generating a notification that the components are accessed.

I always assume some rogueware could do this, which is why I only keep these devices in a way that can be physically disabled when not in use. No Adobe hack can switch the power button on my microphone back to the On position, or plug my webcam back into the USB port.

Waiting and hoping for the demise of Adobe Flash. It was neat when Macromedia first launched it, but now it's just a pain in the ass. I'm glad we're seeing it less and less.

Never installed flash and never will. So far haven't found a need for it.

If I need it for something I'll create a VM, install it and then uninstall it when I'm done.

Waiting and hoping for the demise of Adobe Flash. It was neat when Macromedia first launched it, but now it's just a pain in the ass. I'm glad we're seeing it less and less.

Both you and I my friend. With HTML5's help this will become a reality in time.

Firefox and Flash becomes a worse, more unstable combination for every new iteration of the browser, one would be forgiven for thinking it was a slow backdoors campaign but they are actually incredibly incompetent.

Back