GameStop To Start Selling Retro Games And Consoles Again

HardOCP News

[H] News
Sure, they will probably give you $5 store credit for something and turn around and sell it for twenty times as much but I am actually kind of excited about this.

The video game retailer is about to start accepting old games and systems (going back to the original Nintendo Entertainment System) as trade-ins at about 250 test locations in New York City and Birmingham -- sorry, fellow Texans. They're going to start collecting them and shipping them off to their Refurbishment Operations Center (which is here in Texas) so they can be prepped for new ownership.

This is what they should have been doing all along. I can get games pretty much anywhere, but they should specialize in retro and hard to find stuff, so there is a reason to darken their doors.

This is what they should have been doing all along. I can get games pretty much anywhere, but they should specialize in retro and hard to find stuff, so there is a reason to darken their doors.

I think that term has a different connotation than the one you're really implying. Unless you're saying you're going there with the general intent of making everyone unhappy.

Anyway, I generally don't use Gamestop. I used it to buy my PS3 because I was impatient and didn't want to wait for any shipping but... generally when I go there, they never have anything I want in stock. I mostly go for some of the less mainstream stuff. I'll give them props for having Disgaea when I went to purchase it, but I can't really count how many times I've went there and didn't find what I was looking for. Even when I did, they were about to run out when I got it. I got like the last copy, or one of the last 2 copies. Generally I think a mix of Amazon and digital distribution sites is the way to go. I guess retro would be interesting for some people, but... you can just get that off of Ebay or Craigslist or something.

The only reason I go to Gamestop nowadays is sometimes they have stuff for really cheap (example being Diablo 3 sales that I went to).

If anything, they kind of need to build some kind of unique set of events or something. As in, actually use their heads. Because selling games, consoles, etc... that doesn't really cut it. Many places do that nowadays, and they're faster to use.

I think that term has a different connotation than the one you're really implying. Unless you're saying you're going there with the general intent of making everyone unhappy.

Anyway, I generally don't use Gamestop. I used it to buy my PS3 because I was impatient and didn't want to wait for any shipping but... generally when I go there, they never have anything I want in stock. I mostly go for some of the less mainstream stuff. I'll give them props for having Disgaea when I went to purchase it, but I can't really count how many times I've went there and didn't find what I was looking for. Even when I did, they were about to run out when I got it. I got like the last copy, or one of the last 2 copies. Generally I think a mix of Amazon and digital distribution sites is the way to go. I guess retro would be interesting for some people, but... you can just get that off of Ebay or Craigslist or something.

The only reason I go to Gamestop nowadays is sometimes they have stuff for really cheap (example being Diablo 3 sales that I went to).

If anything, they kind of need to build some kind of unique set of events or something. As in, actually use their heads. Because selling games, consoles, etc... that doesn't really cut it. Many places do that nowadays, and they're faster to use.
To "darken a door" means to cast your shadow on it. You are right, it is usually used like "never darken my door again!", but it can be used outside of that as well.

main problem is the big retail spaces, the prices on retro stuff is insane, even more so than ebay and smaller retro stores.

Retro prices are exploding. Even goodwill stopped selling videogames and just lists them on their page. it's kinda annoying. I used to get some decent prices. Not anymore :(

Retro prices are exploding. Even goodwill stopped selling videogames and just lists them on their page. it's kinda annoying. I used to get some decent prices. Not anymore :(

The trick is looking in second hand shops that aren't a national chain, or aren't heavily corrupt They often don't know/don't care what they have and just randomly price things. I've found tons of old games and hardware at places like this for pennies on the dollar.

I stopped going to Goodwill awhile back. They've jacked up the prices on everything in pretty much all of their locations and are even starting to sell name brand goods straight from the factory.

They're not a charity anymore, it's just a guise to keep you away from the fact they're a for profit business under the table.

*Shrug* We have Oogie Games are here and I rarely go there. They have all the retro and modern games stuff for consoles. Literally all of it as far as I could tell. http://www.oogiegames.com/

They are missing a lot of older consoles from what I can see. Sure they have a lot, but I don't see Colecovision, Intellivision, TurboGrafx-16 just to name a few.

Oh and for "New Sealed" TurboGrafx games.... Syd Meads, Super Air Zonk, and Soldier Blade are like $3,000. That's of course if anyone actually buys them. Don't mind Magical Chase going for $6,500 on ebay.

Pray to god gamestop never gets there hands on any of these games. I fear they would be worse than the leaches on ebay spiking prices by limiting the more rare games after buying them all up.

The trick is looking in second hand shops that aren't a national chain, or aren't heavily corrupt They often don't know/don't care what they have and just randomly price things. I've found tons of old games and hardware at places like this for pennies on the dollar.

I stopped going to Goodwill awhile back. They've jacked up the prices on everything in pretty much all of their locations and are even starting to sell name brand goods straight from the factory.

They're not a charity anymore, it's just a guise to keep you away from the fact they're a for profit business under the table.

I don't think the Goodwills in my area have gotten that bad yet. I've still managed to buy chairs and desks for fairly reasonable prices. The thing that's REALLY bad is the Salvation Army Store. They just grab everything, dust it off or clean it up slightly, and wham: darn near the price you'd buy it on Ebay, if not more. There was this really good thrift store in my area that did have really good, low price for essentially totally random stock. They went out of business. T_T And then Goodwill replaced them.

I bought the MVS Super Converter II and I'm super happy with my purchase! I finally was able to try out my MVS carts on my AES and it worked fine. The boxed converter was even in better condition.

Back