Kingston Digital Ships 960GB Business-Class SSD

HardOCP News

[H] News
Kingston Digital, Inc., the Flash memory affiliate of Kingston Technology Company, Inc., the independent world leader in memory products, today announced the 960GB KC310 solid-state drive, its largest business-class SSD. KC310 is a true HDD replacement as its large capacity allows users to store more data and applications. Powered by a Phison S10 quad-core, eight-channel controller, KC310 provides unsurpassed SATA Rev. 3.0 (6Gb/s) performance delivering high read/write speeds and IOPS.

KC310 is an ideal SSD for entry-level servers and datacenter hosting companies looking for more storage. The drive provides end-to-end data protection through Advanced SmartECC™ and Flash error code correction. Data can be rebuilt in the event of an error allowing for extended NAND durability and reliability. The addition of firmware-based power loss protection helps maintain data integrity as data is constantly moved to NAND to minimize the amount of time it stays in the cache.

Quite the wave of new SSDs being launched. I'd love to see an SSD "shootout" on [H] once all of these are on the streets.

"KC310 provides unsurpassed SATA Rev. 3.0 (6Gb/s) performance"

Sure, as long as you ignore M.2 (PCIe), SATA Express, or straight up PCIe, your use of a 6 year old interface designed for rotating drives looks great!

"KC310 provides unsurpassed SATA Rev. 3.0 (6Gb/s) performance"

Sure, as long as you ignore M.2 (PCIe), SATA Express, or straight up PCIe, your use of a 6 year old interface designed for rotating drives looks great!

Until those interfaces are as common as SATA/SAS, and can offer their ease of expansion, you're just talking nonsense.

What you are talking about is fine from the enthusiast POV; which is fine in that scope. When one can take 20+ M2's and make a proper parity RAID out of it, then your statement may be valid and the business world will take note. Until then? Not happening.

Until those interfaces are as common as SATA/SAS, and can offer their ease of expansion, you're just talking nonsense.

What you are talking about is fine from the enthusiast POV; which is fine in that scope. When one can take 20+ M2's and make a proper parity RAID out of it, then your statement may be valid and the business world will take note. Until then? Not happening.

Hi, welcome to HardOCP, and enthusiast website where enthusiasts discuss enthusiast points of view...

Admittedly the link was about a business line disk, but touting the slow old interface the drive uses is a joke. I feel like they're grasping for straws by making this claim, to hide the fact that the drive is so much slower than the Intel SSD 750 (which is available in the same physical format).

;) Have been around longer than you, noob, I know where I am. :D This is the storage sub-forum though, and a lot of people here think about more than just one or two really fast drives. :)

Am afraid your comparison to the Intel 750 is flawed. While the 750 is indeed available in a 2.5" form factor, it isn't a SATA/SAS drive; rather it requires a M.2>SFF-8643 adapter... which means you need that M.2 slot. This means trying to compare the Kingston in this article to a NVMe drive is pretty much trying to compare apples to oranges.

That being said, you've given me something to think about. Am going to talk with our contacts at Avago (aka LSI) and PMC-Sierra (aka Adaptec) and see what they have to offer in regards to RAID controllers that can work properly with these 2.5" NVMe drives. Hmmm.

;) Have been around longer than you, noob, I know where I am. :D This is the storage sub-forum though, and a lot of people here think about more than just one or two really fast drives. :)

Am afraid your comparison to the Intel 750 is flawed. While the 750 is indeed available in a 2.5" form factor, it isn't a SATA/SAS drive; rather it requires a M.2>SFF-8643 adapter... which means you need that M.2 slot. This means trying to compare the Kingston in this article to a NVMe drive is pretty much trying to compare apples to oranges.

That being said, you've given me something to think about. Am going to talk with our contacts at Avago (aka LSI) and PMC-Sierra (aka Adaptec) and see what they have to offer in regards to RAID controllers that can work properly with these 2.5" NVMe drives. Hmmm.

Ah, there's the problem, you are seeing this is a storage sub-forum post, while I found it on the front page!

And yeah, I guess that's what I get for assuming I've been around longer than most anyone, lol...

Back