Segway Bought By Chinese Rival

HardOCP News

[H] News
Why continue to copy something when you can just buy the company that makes the product you are knocking off?

Ninebot has been around since 2012, making people movers that are so similar to Segways that in September 2014, Segway accused Ninebot and several other companies of infringing on its patents, according to a filing with the U.S. International Trade Commission.

So copy other stuff to make money, use that money to buy the original company. Brilliant!

Something tells me though this was less about the other company buying and more about Segway slowing down in sales (were they ever that high?) and wanting to bail out.

There was just no way to ride a segway without looking like a dork.

Typical Chinese tactic... You will start to see this more and more now... All they do is knockoff everyone else ideas now.

There was just no way to ride a segway without looking like a dork.
Agreed :D

paul_blart_mall_cop_002_jpg_600x600_autocrop_q85.jpg

Want to escape patent infringement prosecution? Start a Chinese company, make whatever product you want and be financially successful, then buy the non-Chinese companies that stand in your way holding patents to conquer their territories and market.

Up next: Exploding Chinese Segways.

All I can picture is a silicon valley dork with his meticulously groomed beard zipping along the side walk as he burns up and explodes like a meteor over Russia.

All I can picture is a silicon valley dork with his meticulously groomed beard zipping along the side walk as he burns up and explodes like a meteor over Russia.

The mental image I got of this was amazing.. Thank you.. lol
Once the charred remains have been identified it will be called Hiptonite in remembrance of the person before they were cool..

From world changer to this.

I remember this; tons of media hype, lies, and nonsense about how "revolutionary" their product was and that it was going to change world. Then they revealed this two-wheeled joke, ha.

I remember this; tons of media hype, lies, and nonsense about how "revolutionary" their product was and that it was going to change world. Then they revealed this two-wheeled joke, ha.

You also probably remember the king of bullshit Steve Jobs was involved.

The Segway was dumb and a large part of its failure had everything to do with the price. So IMO a Chinese company willing to knock the price down would probably be the best thing to come of it. No one is going to buy a multithousand dollar limited use machine in any volume. Most people wont even spend that much for a computer they use 16 hours a day 365 days a year. If they can bring the price down to a couple hundred dollars it might be an interesting product, they also have to make them take up a lot less space.

It's funny, you guys have a rather interesting definition of success. Segway or rather devices like it are used around the world and in fairly large numbers in lets call them business applications. If you bother to do some research personal peoples movers like these actually globally sell quite well. I think some of you are rather confused as to the difference in hype vs actual profit. While certainly segway tried and hoped the hype would put these in every home, that never had to happen for it to be profitable. I mean by the standards of success some of you are setting here of if it isn't in every home, then any non multinational mega corporation is a failure. Segway's only problem was they marketed poorly and to the wrong market, where as their "competitors" marketed correctly and are now buying the inventor out.

Typical Chinese tactic... You will start to see this more and more now... All they do is knockoff everyone else ideas now.

Talk about ignorant. About a century ago Germany used to copy everything England used to produce. That's how "Made in" was born.

Copying stuff equals progress.

Back