NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN X Video Card Review @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN X Video Card Review - It is time to take the NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN X out for a full evaluation in six games in comparison to the AMD Radeon R9 295X2 and GeForce GTX 980. We will find out who comes out on top, which one provides the best gameplay experience, and of course overclock the GeForce GTX TITAN X to the max.

Wow the overclock puts this thing in beast mode. Shame you guys didn't get a chance to test it with GTA5 yet. I can't wait to see what AMD counters with, hopefully it will push the price down.

Wow the overclock puts this thing in beast mode. Shame you guys didn't get a chance to test it with GTA5 yet. I can't wait to see what AMD counters with, hopefully it will push the price down.

It will be used in all upcoming GTA V testing.

I can tell you this card really gets to stretch its legs in GTA 5 with my U3415W monitor.

Ditto this, card does amazingly well in GTA V at 3440x1440. Would be awesome to see some 3440x1440 benchmarks from [H]

So glad I ditched my 295x2. While it's able to maintain fairly high maximum frame rates, the minimum frame rate and the jumping around in frame rate kills the experience. Titan X on the other hand, tends to maintain a solid frame rate without massive fluctuations, AND higher minimums than the 295x2.

I've said it before, but I'll say it again: 1 Powerful single GPU card is always the best route to take. No driver issues, no worrying about profiles, no heat issues, no noise issues...So much simpler.

It's crazy to see how well this card does against dual-GPU setups from both current and last gen. This is the kind of performance jump we should see from one generation to the next. Makes me really excited for the forthcoming (still rumoured...) 980 Ti, should it have a $700 US price ceiling.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm looking seriously at using something like the Titan X to get a bit more graphics power for 4K out of my system - the GTX970 was knowingly underpowered for the job when it was purchased, but being the first geforce I've used over displayport I was cautious. I want to have my heart set on a Titan X or similar but I can't really commit myself as 6 months on, nvidia still haven't properly added MST support to their drivers and I'm rather beginning to suspect they never will. On the other hand, AMD's implementation of it was even worse, so I'm not really sure what to buy. I did try an SST display but was distinctly unimpressed by it - using that would be worse than suffering the displayport connector shutting down mid-game as I occasionally have to put up with on the 970, and continuously had to put up with on the 290X. Not supporting scaling of lower resolutions is also a pain... gaming in 4K is a real nuisance!

Not having to deal with the nightmares of crossfire, however, is a boon. I'd rather avoid dual-GPU if at all possible, hence eyeing up the Titan X, but I'm not honestly sure at 4K if even a Titan X will really satisfy on its own. Was rather hoping to see some 4K results in this test.

Glad I ditched the 290 cross fire platform and moved to a single TitanX. This thing blows everything out of the water. And the overclock is an icing on the cake. Mine does a solid 1400 Mhz / 7.8 Ghz [Amazing overclock for so much amount of VRAM]

I'm looking seriously at using something like the Titan X to get a bit more graphics power for 4K out of my system - the GTX970 was knowingly underpowered for the job when it was purchased, but being the first geforce I've used over displayport I was cautious. I want to have my heart set on a Titan X or similar but I can't really commit myself as 6 months on, nvidia still haven't properly added MST support to their drivers and I'm rather beginning to suspect they never will. On the other hand, AMD's implementation of it was even worse, so I'm not really sure what to buy. I did try an SST display but was distinctly unimpressed by it - using that would be worse than suffering the displayport connector shutting down mid-game as I occasionally have to put up with on the 970, and continuously had to put up with on the 290X. Not supporting scaling of lower resolutions is also a pain... gaming in 4K is a real nuisance!

Not having to deal with the nightmares of crossfire, however, is a boon. I'd rather avoid dual-GPU if at all possible, hence eyeing up the Titan X, but I'm not honestly sure at 4K if even a Titan X will really satisfy on its own. Was rather hoping to see some 4K results in this test.

I don't have these issues and I'm gaming with 3 in crossfire in 4k and it's fucking amazing.. guess you just have to know what you are doing.

Nothing to do with crossfire, I had the issues with a single card. Displayport desyncs everywhere, but I stress, only happens on MST displays like the UP3214Q. Non-tiled (SST) displays work fine. Sadly I can't find one that's any good...

Not exactly very comprehensive - want to see minimum fps and chosen detail level :p

Edit: I mean trying different settings at different resolutions to show impact

This is the kind of performance jump we should see from one generation to the next.

This (33%) is the minimum kind of performance jump we need to see if the video card industry wants to keep up with the display industry's move to 4K, 5K and 8K resolutions. Yes, 8K is years away (fewer years than you think), but at 20% performance improvement every 15 months, the video card industry would be even less ready for 8K than it is for 4K.

This (33%) is the minimum kind of performance jump we need to see if the video card industry wants to keep up with the display industry's move to 4K, 5K and 8K resolutions. Yes, 8K is years away (fewer years than you think), but at 20% performance improvement every 15 months, the video card industry would be even less ready for 8K than it is for 4K.

I think it's less about the video cards and more about demand being smashed by the price of the displays. I have no issues getting 2 Titan X's, but a 4k display that will run @ 120hz, never mind it's price¿Donde esta?

Those of us wanting 120fps with max settings in our gaming are still chilling @ 1080p with our two GTX 980s for the foreseeable future

Last edited:
Very impressive card but I hope they do a 6GB8GB version.
What are the dimensions of the card? (I only scanned the pages for a mention of mm)

Nothing to do with crossfire, I had the issues with a single card. Displayport desyncs everywhere, but I stress, only happens on MST displays like the UP3214Q. Non-tiled (SST) displays work fine. Sadly I can't find one that's any good...

Try the Dell P2715Q. I have one and it's really nice. No MST to mess with.

Very impressive card but I hope they do a 6GB8GB version.
What are the dimensions of the card? (I only scanned the pages for a mention of mm)

Don't count on it. The Titan has always been about offering an insane video card at an insane price.

The 6GB version of the Titan X will be called the GTX 980 Ti, if the rumor mill is correct.

Excellent review as always.

I have been running 3 of these with 1440p surround. Big jump going from OG Titan to the Titan X. Current clock speeds I am seeing are +250 core with +400 memory stable. Temps aren't an issue as all 3 cards are under water at 28 degrees C. To push further I would need to push more power to GPUs.

There seems to be an error in the temp section, it states 62c when overclocked, went down 22c by overlocking!

There seems to be an error in the temp section, it states 62c when overclocked, went down 22c by overlocking!

Overclocking = 100% Fan speed. that's the typical [H]OCP procedure since.. all the life?.. so yes when overclocked they got lower temp than stock clocks and default fan profile.

When I read that the article would not touch 4K, I almost lost interest; I'm glad I persevered.

Try the Dell P2715Q. I have one and it's really nice. No MST to mess with.

Nice display but 27" is a bit on the small side for 4K at the desktop. I just wish they'd released a 32" version, then I'd already own it! :( Looking at the Samsung U32E850R now.
</offtopic>

I am really looking forward to the SLI review. With TITAN X SLI I'm seeing strange behavior in GTA5, almost like a stutter but not quite. It looks like inconsistent frame delivery, but I haven't taken time to output frametime data yet. It will be nice to see what [H] comes up with.

** edit ** I think it's a CPU bottleneck in my case. The game frequently pegs all 4 cores at 100%. I may have to borrow a 3770k to see if that theory has legs.

At this point, I'm avoiding really going over any video card review until Windows 10 with DX12 comes out. Things are going to change radically in the near future, and many video cards will behave radically differently. We don't really know which will be the best at that point yet. So, I'm waiting.

But why no 4K????

Read before your post? It was indicated it will be in the SLI (4k) review. Takes a long time to prepare a review. Better to slice it up into manageable pieces that are focused on how people will use the product.

At this point, I'm avoiding really going over any video card review until Windows 10 with DX12 comes out. Things are going to change radically in the near future, and many video cards will behave radically differently. We don't really know which will be the best at that point yet. So, I'm waiting.

We are talking about 2016 - that's half the usual life of typical GPU

If you're talking about just games, not really much is going to change with DX12, in my opinion. Yeah, it's allowing more control over the metal, but devs spend all of their optimizing time budget on consoles, not PC. I honestly don't see that changing anytime soon.

I would say the only thing worth waiting for is DP 1.3 for 4K 120Hz. I'm personally waiting for that.

----------

To samuelmorris:

There was a 27" 5K on display at my local Fry's. Any extra PPI is still well worth it. This is especially true since it helps eliminate the need for AA, allowing your video card to perform much better.

Nice review guys!

I plan to upgrade my rig this year, assuming I can find one of these, it will be a excellent choice.

If you're talking about just games, not really much is going to change with DX12, in my opinion. Yeah, it's allowing more control over the metal, but devs spend all of their optimizing time budget on consoles, not PC. I honestly don't see that changing anytime soon.

I would say the only thing worth waiting for is DP 1.3 for 4K 120Hz. I'm personally waiting for that.

----------

To samuelmorris:

There was a 27" 5K on display at my local Fry's. Any extra PPI is still well worth it. This is especially true since it helps eliminate the need for AA, allowing your video card to perform much better.

Considering AMD began its direct to metal development with the new generation consoles, it's safe to say DX12 will see huge performance gains.

I was able to dumb luck my way to getting the EVGA Superclocked Titan X and I can say that it is a beast. Honestly I dont see a need for SLI as I am over 60fps on my 2560x1600 30" monitor with every game I throw at it.

2.png

Battlefield 4 @ 4K with everything set to ULTRA quality and 2x MSAA runs between 60-70 fps consistently with my Titan X. Pretty much one of the best investments I have made apart from upgrading to a BENW 32" 4K monitor. Now I wish there was a 120Hz IPS 4K 32" display out there.

I am really looking forward to the SLI review. With TITAN X SLI I'm seeing strange behavior in GTA5, almost like a stutter but not quite. It looks like inconsistent frame delivery, but I haven't taken time to output frametime data yet. It will be nice to see what [H] comes up with.

** edit ** I think it's a CPU bottleneck in my case. The game frequently pegs all 4 cores at 100%. I may have to borrow a 3770k to see if that theory has legs.

The game is heavy on CPU usage. I'm running Titan X's in SLI w/a [email protected] GHz and it is very smooth but still CPU bottlenecked.

It's nice to see this sort of improvement without new fab technolgy. Makes me even more excited for the 10nm class nodes coming next, should be a big step.

I grew up in an era when I thought Bill Gates was right with the comment that a computer would never need more that 640kb of ram. Then came expanded ram. Some of my first games were the original Utima series and thinking just how frickin cool that was. Of course I will never forgive EA for ruining that franchise. Now I find it amazing that we have games where 4gigs of VRAM is no longer enough.

I love reading these shootouts as I yearn for the day when i'll be able to get back into high end PC gaming. For now, my Xbox works.

I grew up in an era when I thought Bill Gates was right with the comment that a computer would never need more that 640kb of ram. Then came expanded ram. Some of my first games were the original Utima series and thinking just how frickin cool that was. Of course I will never forgive EA for ruining that franchise. Now I find it amazing that we have games where 4gigs of VRAM is no longer enough.

I love reading these shootouts as I yearn for the day when i'll be able to get back into high end PC gaming. For now, my Xbox works.

No you didn't....Bill gates never said that, but the myth is hard to kill...please let that myth die, thx.

Back