Windows Redstone Will Come in Two Waves, June and October 2016

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
With every new release of a Microsoft operating system, we always expect to see the inevitable service pack to improve upon the original release. Windows 10 will be different in the sense that the company has already planned two Windows updates, codenamed Redstone, to be released next summer and fall.

This proves that Windows 10 is simply Windows 8.2.

Fool you.

*news a bout Microsoft is released, neither positive or negative*

Forums response:

"FUCK YOU MICROSOFT!!"

This proves that Windows 10 is simply Windows 8.2.

Fool you.

Well, Windows Vista was essentially a beta of 7. This is par for the course. At least they're not speeding up version #'s like browsers did.

Since Microsoft is striving to become more and more like Apple, it occurs to me that Microsoft will simply leave Windows at version 10 indefinitely, just as Apple has left Mac OS at version 10 indefinitely. If Microsoft accelerates their point releases a bit, they can eventually match Mac OS version number for version number; it looks like MS will have at least Windows 10.3, maybe 10.4 by the time Apple releases 10.11.

Since Microsoft is striving to become more and more like Apple, it occurs to me that Microsoft will simply leave Windows at version 10 indefinitely, just as Apple has left Mac OS at version 10 indefinitely. If Microsoft accelerates their point releases a bit, they can eventually match Mac OS version number for version number; it looks like MS will have at least Windows 10.3, maybe 10.4 by the time Apple releases 10.11.

Unlikely. Major Windows releases are still a huge deal, at least in the IT world. In any case no other software release captures anywhere near the attention. Windows is still a force of nature outside of mobile world and that's why I completely understand the angst in Windows mimicking mobile software attributes while Microsoft is promoting tablet hardware and beginning to have some success at it.

I love Windows and have great appreciation for what it has done for computing. Windows is a great accomplishment in software. But the computing world, at least on the consumer side has moved past OSes and is focused on devices and ecosystems.

I couldn't care less what they call it 10.1 or 10 sp1 as long as it works.
I skipping 8/8.1 but I'm enjoying win10 as my primary OS since the consumer preview.

This full OS update stance is a real pain. Especially when the laptop you need to rebuild has the previous version or previous, previous version on its recovery partition.

Just adds more time to getting stuff back up and running. MS need to make all the versions fully downloadable AND work with ANY valid licence key whether OEM or retail. It's fine if you have a retail version and a key but manufacturer OEM just sucks to support now.

Waiting for 8.1/10.1.2.3.4.5.6 update to install and download is a nightmare I can do without.

Since Microsoft is striving to become more and more like Apple, it occurs to me that Microsoft will simply leave Windows at version 10 indefinitely, just as Apple has left Mac OS at version 10 indefinitely.

"Right now we’re releasing Windows 10, and because Windows 10 is the last version of Windows, we’re all still working on Windows 10" - Microsoft’s developer evangelist, Jerry Nixon

http://www.forbes.com/sites/antonyleather/2015/05/08/windows-10-to-be-last-version-of-windows/

Looks like I was right.

Back