China Is Said to Use Powerful New Weapon to Censor Internet

HardOCP News

[H] News
The sheer amount of effort the Chinese put into trying to censor the internet is mind boggling when you think about it.

China’s new Internet weapon, the report says, is similar to one developed and used by the National Security Agency and its British counterpart, GCHQ, a system outlined in classified documents leaked by Edward J. Snowden, the former United States intelligence contractor. The American system, according to the documents, which were published by The Intercept, can deploy a system of programs that can intercept web traffic on a mass scale and redirect it to a site of their choosing. The N.S.A. and its partners appear to use the programs for targeted surveillance, whereas China appears to use the Great Cannon for an aggressive form of censorship.

This reminds me of when I setup a transparent squid proxy along with dansguardian filter.

I don't understand why the chinese simply disconnect from the internet altogether an create their own sub-net within China only. Problem solved and we wouldn't have to deal with their shit anymore. Oh wait.

Yup, I don't doubt the NSA's honesty at all. I'm sure they only use the same system as the Chinese for "targeted" surveillance. Just like they were not listening to all phone calls, just recording them. May be the "target" just happens to be everyone?

I'm sure the Japanese Premier had some important terrorism related information during trade talks and that is why the CIA bugged his telephone and residence. I'm sure it had nothing to do with commercial interests whatsoever.

:)

I don't understand why the chinese simply disconnect from the internet altogether an create their own sub-net within China only. Problem solved and we wouldn't have to deal with their shit anymore. Oh wait.

I've often wondered why the rest of the world doesn't simply unplug from China. Imagine 90% of the cyber spying stops, sure you need to find a new place that uses slave labor to get cheap shit, but hey no more Chinese!

I've often wondered why the rest of the world doesn't simply unplug from China. Imagine 90% of the cyber spying stops, sure you need to find a new place that uses slave labor to get cheap shit, but hey no more Chinese!

Any businesses that want to do business with China will have issues on Chinese only internet.

Hey look everyone, China is worse than we are! Nothing to see here, look at how bad China is!

Hey look everyone, China is worse than we are! Nothing to see here, look at how bad China is!

sarcasm is like paranoia. Paranoia is not paranoia if they really are out to get you and sarcasm is not really sarcasm if its true.

When you paint over the windows, everyone knows they are painted over and imaginations run wild what exists on the other side.
Controlling what is seen through the window without it being immediately being obvious its controlled is a better way to manipulate people.
Sort of like CNN.

sarcasm is like paranoia. Paranoia is not paranoia if they really are out to get you and sarcasm is not really sarcasm if its true.

Sure, China is worse in many ways. But it is advancing at a much faster pace than the US. Being a much larger country they face some much bigger challenges yet are still moving at a faster pace. But that goes against the anti-China narrative, so people prefer not to look at those things.

China’s new Internet weapon, the report says, is similar to one developed and used by the National Security Agency

Q: How do you know something is bad?
A: When it inspires the Chinese government and gives them new ideas to exert oppression.

Its never a favorable sentence when it contains, "Like China".

Sure, China is worse in many ways. But it is advancing at a much faster pace than the US. Being a much larger country they face some much bigger challenges yet are still moving at a faster pace. But that goes against the anti-China narrative, so people prefer not to look at those things.
China blocking speech is not going to work in their favor. China is only recently gotten interested in technology and without communication to the rest of the world that technological growth is going to be stunted. Modern countries need to continue to evolve technology and open communication is key. Scientists don't hide information and secrets. That's the reason why the internet was made to begin with.

BTW China reduced their work week from 6 to 5 days a week which dramatically improved productivity. Some countries how have a 4 day work week and they're even more productive. Modern world has changed.

I have serious doubts as to the validity of any information published by a source which credits Snowden for anything at all other than escaping the US to avoid prosecution for fraudulently representing his education and work background in order to get a job with an NSA subcontractor...;) The Internet truly is full of utter BS at times...

Many in the US feel strongly that an over controlling central government is holding the US back. Yet many that feel this way also seem to thing that a much more controlling and oppressive central government advances China faster.

Perhaps in some ways but a huge cost to countless of citizens. And much at the expense of the norms of freedom in the US.

When you paint over the windows, everyone knows they are painted over and imaginations run wild what exists on the other side.
Controlling what is seen through the window without it being immediately being obvious its controlled is a better way to manipulate people.
Sort of like CNN.

Well, the closest analogy to that is the DPRK.

Back