Windows 7 Momentum Grows, Shows No Sign of Slowing

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Windows 7 is following in the footsteps of its older cousin, Windows XP, in its expected resilience and user loyalty all the way until its inevitable end of support life in 2020. It is conceivable that Windows 7 could co-exist with Windows 10 and even garner a full quarter of user share in the process.

Windows 7's days are far from numbered. Microsoft won't retire the operating system from security support until January 2020, but it's probable that it will slip starting this summer, when the Redmond, Wash., company releases Windows 10.

Free upgrade to 10 is free? If I were buying an OS right now Windows 7 > 8. Cause either way you'll end up in 10.

If Microsoft does decide to give Windows 10 away for free for it's first year I don't see any reason for anyone (outside of large corporations) to stick with Windows 7. Microsoft has a habit of doing one good Windows release and then a meh one. XP was good (for it's time) and vista was meh. 7 Good, 8 meh. Windows 10 is looking pretty solid from the tech previews.

Free upgrade to 10 is free? If I were buying an OS right now Windows 7 > 8. Cause either way you'll end up in 10.

Whether or not Windows 10 is actually an UPGRADE for Windows 7 remains to be seen. Especially for Win7 users that avoided Windows 8 due to Metro.

But then also realize there's a mass of Win7 users that got the OS with a new PC and have no clue or don't care that Microsoft wants to sell a newer OS version. Think parents, grandparents, Joe and Jane average.

Some people will never upgrade/downgrade to Windows 8 or 10 because Windows 7 works and these newer OS versions don't even exist in their world - there's no awareness of them.

oh I'm fully aware of how shitty nvidia surround support is in windows 8 vs 7. I don't need the headache, what I have works just fine so I'm not fixing it

If Microsoft does decide to give Windows 10 away for free for it's first year I don't see any reason for anyone (outside of large corporations) to stick with Windows 7. Microsoft has a habit of doing one good Windows release and then a meh one. XP was good (for it's time) and vista was meh. 7 Good, 8 meh. Windows 10 is looking pretty solid from the tech previews.

In what regard? What SPECIFICALLY is there in Windows 10 that would motivate the average Windows 7 user to update, what must-have feature is there that they don't already have with Windows 7?

Faster boot up? Kernel hibernation trick.
Start menu? They already have it in Win7.
DX12? Assume they're not a gamer. Average Win7 users aren't.
Metro? 99.99% of Win7 users don't have touchscreens, and they likely avoided Win8 for a reason.

Seriously, what is the major selling point of Win10 over Win7 if a typical customer asked? For that matter, what would you tell a CIO or IT decision maker if they asked "Why should we consider Windows 10 when Windows 7 works fine?"

I'm genuinely curious because I can't see a whole lot.

His projections are kind of reading tea leaves. The conditions XP and 7 have to gain the market share they have are not really the same. There wasn't a ~20% hold out of Windows 2000 users to contend with, for example with XP and Vista.

Clearly Windows 7 has benefited more from the switch away from XP than Windows 8.x has, but its growth is not linear with XP's decline. Windows 10 will probably do as well as 8/8.1 in the first year or two and probably not much better.

Windows 8, plus ClassicShell is Windows 7+. Tough to notice much of a difference in the GUI. I haven't updated my main system, but I dig the faster bootup times of Windows 8.

In what regard? What SPECIFICALLY is there in Windows 10 that would motivate the average Windows 7 user to update, what must-have feature is there that they don't already have with Windows 7?

Metro? 99.99% of Win7 users don't have touchscreens, and they likely avoided Win8 for a reason.

Seriously, what is the major selling point of Win10 over Win7 if a typical customer asked? For that matter, what would you tell a CIO or IT decision maker if they asked "Why should we consider Windows 10 when Windows 7 works fine?"

Secure Boot is a welcome feature for corporate IT running machines with proper support.

In fact I'd say any company with Windows based workstations would be mistaken to purchase any new hardware without proper UEFI/Secure Boot support and the intention to run Windows 10.

Sure its no Windows 95, but not even XP or 7 was Win95. It will get used and 7 will fade into obsolescence.

You did notice the "IT'S FREE" part, right? Also the part about large businesses not making the jump? Any business would be idiotic to move off of any stable platform for something untested. That's where a lot of the big XP use numbers came from before people got comfortable with 7.

If you haven't seen the differences it's only because you haven't looked deep enough. There are a lot of little things I like about Windows 8 that I wish would have ended up in Windows 7 (like the enhanced task manager) but 8 is a PITA to use so I prefer 7 despite those features. 10 is not a pain to use and is a lot like 7 and 8 had an OS baby. And "most" users might not be gamers, but I am so I am very interested in DX12.

And did I mention, it's free! And new and free will probably be more than enough to sway most users even if they only ever look at the skin and go "there's nothing better here!"

You did notice the "IT'S FREE" part, right? Also the part about large businesses not making the jump? Any business would be idiotic to move off of any stable platform for something untested. That's where a lot of the big XP use numbers came from before people got comfortable with 7.

If you haven't seen the differences it's only because you haven't looked deep enough. There are a lot of little things I like about Windows 8 that I wish would have ended up in Windows 7 (like the enhanced task manager) but 8 is a PITA to use so I prefer 7 despite those features. 10 is not a pain to use and is a lot like 7 and 8 had an OS baby. And "most" users might not be gamers, but I am so I am very interested in DX12.

And did I mention, it's free! And new and free will probably be more than enough to sway most users even if they only ever look at the skin and go "there's nothing better here!"

So true, and if there are those that truly hate it and still (intelligently kept track of their Windows 7/8 install disks) can easily reformat and re-install there old OS but I doubt that will happen. I was using Windows Technical Preview the only reason I stopped, too many of my games didn't work on it in the preview version due to how iffy the driver support was. Otherwise I would have kept using it. The UI was so much better than the UI in 7, task manager, recovery manager. The desktop performance was extremely snappy, the boot times were non-existant, the second I hit reboot, I was looking at the Windows 10 login screen again, yay for SSDs. I'm using 7 again for now though, didn't want to put 8 back on, just the thought of the underlying layer of Metro as the main interface in 8 makes me cringe, god I hated the interface of 8/8.1.

So in other words, you've got nothing. The "little things you like" are irrelevant and don't really answer the question. That Windows 10 is going to be "free" isn't going to motivate the massball of non-technical customers that don't have a clue what version of Windows they're even running.

Let's try this again: What gotta-have feature in Windows 10 would motivate the average Windows 7 user to consider updating? I'm talking about the people that avoided Windows 8 due to Metro. GO.

I'm sticking with 7 until 2020 and then going to 8.1 until 2023. Windows 10 looks utterly dreadful.

Windows 8.1 with Classic Shell delivers a pretty good desktop experience because you can avoid the Metro touch crap entirely. However, with Windows 10 Microsoft appear hell bent on forcing the Metro touch interface on desktop users. It looks like they're going to get rid of the Control Panel entirely and replace it with the Metro Settings app. The Windows Update section in the Control Panel has already gone from the Windows 10 Preview and the rest of the Control Panel settings will likely follow.

The chief complaint people had with Windows 8 was that they didn't want a touch interface on their desktop, yet Microsoft are ignoring this complaint and in Windows 10 they're forcing the Metro interface on desktop users even more than they did with 8. They're making it so it's impossible to do certain things without using the Metro interface.

Windows 8.1 is fine, but it looks like 10 is the end of the road. I've got Linux Mint Cinnamon on two PCs so far and will aim to have it on all of my PCs by the time 8.1 support ends in 2023.

So in other words, you've got nothing. The "little things you like" are irrelevant and don't really answer the question. That Windows 10 is going to be "free" isn't going to motivate the massball of non-technical customers that don't have a clue what version of Windows they're even running.

Let's try this again: What gotta-have feature in Windows 10 would motivate the average Windows 7 user to consider updating? I'm talking about the people that avoided Windows 8 due to Metro. GO.

Yoda, Yoda, same old you got nothing. So, when you leaving for Linux permanently?

I'm sticking with 7 until 2020 and then going to 8.1 until 2023. Windows 10 looks utterly dreadful.

Windows 8.1 with Classic Shell delivers a pretty good desktop experience because you can avoid the Metro touch crap entirely. However, with Windows 10 Microsoft appear hell bent on forcing the Metro touch interface on desktop users. It looks like they're going to get rid of the Control Panel entirely and replace it with the Metro Settings app. The Windows Update section in the Control Panel has already gone from the Windows 10 Preview and the rest of the Control Panel settings will likely follow.

The chief complaint people had with Windows 8 was that they didn't want a touch interface on their desktop, yet Microsoft are ignoring this complaint and in Windows 10 they're forcing the Metro interface on desktop users even more than they did with 8. They're making it so it's impossible to do certain things without using the Metro interface.

Windows 8.1 is fine, but it looks like 10 is the end of the road. I've got Linux Mint Cinnamon on two PCs so far and will aim to have it on all of my PCs by the time 8.1 support ends in 2023.

Hybrid OS, that is all.

I think it goes further than that. Most people won't avoid Win 8 because they can't. It comes with all computers and has for years. Whether they like it more or not, if someone needed a PC, they got Win 8 if they liked Metro or not.

Even if 10 is free, I don't think a lot of non-technical users will move to it. But I think people overall are getting more used to software/OS updates, if anything, due to phones.

If Windows 7 is so good, why the fuck are its users constantly trying to defend it in front of people who don't even give a shit about the old ass OS they're using.

If Windows 7 is so good, why the fuck are its users constantly trying to defend it in front of people who don't even give a shit about the old ass OS they're using.

This matter is so far past defending or even disputing. It simply is. W7 is currently the best available OS from Microsoft designed primarily for desktop users.

I suspect most users of W7 really don't care what everyone else uses. I hear more whimpering, sniffling and whining from W8 (or whatever the hell it's up to now...) users because nobody want's to use it...because it's a steaming, creamy pile of turd pudding. :cool:

This matter is so far past defending or even disputing. It simply is. W7 is currently the best available OS from Microsoft designed primarily for desktop users.

I suspect most users of W7 really don't care what everyone else uses. I hear more whimpering, sniffling and whining from W8 (or whatever the hell it's up to now...) users because nobody want's to use it...because it's a steaming, creamy pile of turd pudding. :cool:

Hi All

Well Said!

Hold on. What?? The only people defending their OS are Mac, Linux and Win 8 users. The rest of us are 100% are perfectly fine with Win 7. Wtf are you on?

Then you clearly are not reading the same forums the rest of us are. I have seen all the whining, grumbling and complaining coming entirely from Windows 7 users and why oh why can't Windows 8 be just an updated Windows 7, WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!.....................................:rolleyes:

Sorry but, Windows 7 is the best Desktop OS from Microsoft in your opinion but that is fine. However, go ahead, defend your "opinion". We well be here when you try too.

Then you clearly are not reading the same forums the rest of us are. I have seen all the whining, grumbling and complaining coming entirely from Windows 7 users and why oh why can't Windows 8 be just an updated Windows 7, WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!.....................................:rolleyes:

Sorry but, Windows 7 is the best Desktop OS from Microsoft in your opinion but that is fine. However, go ahead, defend your "opinion". We well be here when you try too.

Of course you are right! Why would a desktop user want an operating system designed around a desktop environment?????:rolleyes:

Of course you are right! Why would a desktop user want an operating system designed around a desktop environment?????:rolleyes:

I am right that it is his opinion. :rolleyes: Also, I see you agree with the first part of my statement?

I must be an old ball, I have zero issue using Windows 8. It took all on 1 hour to learn? I would choose it over 7 most of the time just because its faster.

As a tester for Windows 10 it still needs a ton of work. I think the main reason why Windows 7 is still one of the best OS's ever made by MS is the pure control over the OS is key. You look at Windows 8, 8.1 and WIndows 10 and the Pure control of the OS is gone. There no true Administrator inside the OS.

Yes you can right click and run as administrator but that gets annoying very fast. As a power user myself I love in Windows 7 I can turn off the UAC and be a true admin never have to have a stupid prompt run as administrator. This is also much better for games and programs.

The problem in the newer OS's like Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 is that yes it might be very secure doing it this way, but it really hurts the user. Now in the new OS's you cannot just make a folder in the root and C drive say like C:\Games and load everything in it because the OS will not allow security rights inside those folders. I tried it and games would not update unless there in your user profile.

MS has lost so many power users with there new OS's because of this. Why do you think people move to linux or unix or ever switch to apple. Because the pure control returns in these OS's.

What I don't understand is that there was constant pushback against Win8 and users sticking with Win7. So they come out with Win10 which looks more like Win8 and there's more pushback and users are going to continue sticking with Win7. Why is it Microsoft seems to be the only company that is totally and completely deaf and oblivious to what their customers want?

Yes you can right click and run as administrator but that gets annoying very fast. As a power user myself I love in Windows 7 I can turn off the UAC and be a true admin never have to have a stupid prompt run as administrator. This is also much better for games and programs.

The problem in the newer OS's like Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 is that yes it might be very secure doing it this way, but it really hurts the user. Now in the new OS's you cannot just make a folder in the root and C drive say like C:\Games and load everything in it because the OS will not allow security rights inside those folders. I tried it and games would not update unless there in your user profile.

You can use the task scheduler to execute programs you want to run as admin without doing the right click method. This allows you to elevate on a per program basis instead of per user like an admin login.

I've never had a problem creating folders in the C:\ directory with Win8.1. So I can't comment on that. Permission issues?

What I don't understand is that there was constant pushback against Win8 and users sticking with Win7. So they come out with Win10 which looks more like Win8 and there's more pushback and users are going to continue sticking with Win7. Why is it Microsoft seems to be the only company that is totally and completely deaf and oblivious to what their customers want?

Terrible management and a culture where covering your ass is more important than innovating. The haphazard mess that is modern UI is clearly the result of a development team that isn't working cohesively. That's how you end up with things like a fullscreen start screen that's less functional than the start menu. The switch from 'Metro' to 'Modern UI' is also an example of this, either the marketing/legal guys are incompetent or there wasn't enough communication between the dev team and the marketing/legal people.

Ballmer tried to follow the same model Jack Welsh used to cut cost at GE. His 'vitality curve' leadership style works if you make the same light bulbs and widgets forever, but if you are a company that relies on innovation to compete it just ends up stifling creativity. Why risk your neck when you can work on something safe? Why share ideas and code with your coworkers when all it does is hurt your chances of being promoted?

Microsoft had been working on touch devices since the early days of Windows and they completely missed the boat on tablets. What did they come up with? $700+ ARM tablets and 1000+ x86 tablets when the market clearly wanted cheap content consumption devices. They should have known this from the netbook phenomenon. The company is falling apart without Gates and I'm not terribly confident in the current leadership's ability to turn things around. Windows 10 seems like a subscription version of 8, and 8 was clearly a regression from 7 in terms of features for desktop users. If they really think the desktop is done then they should just make 7 a subscription product and focus on mobile rather than pissing off the desktop market in the vain hope that we'll all start buying modern UI apps.

No offense, but you need to educate yourself on what UAC is actually doing. It's one of the most important features in Windows, it's akin to using sudo on Linux. Without it anything can run as an administrator without your knowledge, and that's the exact opposite of what you want as a 'true administrator.'

If you install games somewhere besides the protected directories on the C drive (make a 'games' folder rather than using 'program files' or use another drive/partition) you can generally eliminate all UAC prompts for games. The only times I've ever had to turn UAC off was while installing a graphics overhaul mod for Morrowind and installing Star Wars KOTOR I/II, and I have a fairly massive game library.

Really not terribly difficult to get acclimated to the changes in where things are and how things are done. I find it funny so called "power users" and "techy" people can't learn that things can be different doesn't mean something was removed. As if search engines can't give them their answers. Then they comment that why should i have to learn how to use something i've always been using. Then i comment that they learned it from somewhere and I bet it wasn't as "intuitive" as they claim it was that they probably was advised on how to do it in the first place. Also pointing out that UI difference between mac, windows and the many desktop environments for linux.

Really my only issue with 8.1 has been that the split between metro and desktop os leads to settings only being accessible from one side or the other. Such as ui preferences are not uniform for the whole os you have settings for metro and settings for the desktop and they are located in two different areas. Haven't messed with 10 to see if they better unified this issue. The issue was worse in windows 8 before the 8.1 update but was only minorly addressed.

Main issue with 8/8.1/10 is people are not willing to learn. They hear windows and they want everything to be the same and yet improved at the same time. I still saying Microsoft should have taken a gamble and choose to name the OS something besides windows for once so people would treat the OS as if they had to learn. It's the gamble they are doing with IE, they are removing legacy features allowing them to gear it more to where they want it outside of the business community with that a new name. The core of the product is still there the direction is changed old names have old expectations.

Win 7 just plain fucking works and is tested via the golden yardstick: time.
WIN 10? even if it just fucking works, its not tested.

Free is the new beta testing,

nope for me.

Really not terribly difficult to get acclimated to the changes in where things are and how things are done. I find it funny so called "power users" and "techy" people can't learn that things can be different doesn't mean something was removed.

Main issue with 8/8.1/10 is people are not willing to learn.

That's complete horseshit and this argument drives me insane! We have no problem learning. I can use Win8 just fine on my laptop, I just hate it. I don't like the layout, UI or features. And since there are obviously a shit ton of people that feel the same then maybe the problem isn't that we're not as evolved as intellectual powerhouses such as yourself, maybe it's just that Win8 and 10 are just not as good as Win7.

When you have this many people saying that something isn't good then chances are it's not. Was the problem with Vista that nobody was smart enough to learn how to use it or was it that it just wasn't very good? Windows ME?

If you like running a tablet OS on your desktop with weird features that's totally fine. Doesn't mean you're doing anything wrong. Likewise for the millions of people that prefer a pure desktop OS such as Win7.

I think our bigger complaint is that despite the millions of people (20-30%) that are eschewing Win10 in favor of a 6 year old OS, you have Microsoft continuing to make shit the same way as if there is nothing wrong.

60154_c3ea9f2b337480ad86dfd289208a4094.jpg

When you have this many people saying that something isn't good then chances are it's not. Was the problem with Vista that nobody was smart enough to learn how to use it or was it that it just wasn't very good?
The main problem with Vista came from 3rd parties, instability in drivers because developers unfamiliar with the OS and poor security habits of developers who automatically assume elevated privileges which they had with XP. There is a reason why windows 7 is just Vista+. Granted there were large ui and shell changes from vista to 7 in fact that's the majority of the changes but then why was vista received poorly when it pretty much carried over the ui of XP, because of the change of security culture lead to poor 3rd party support. After developers finally caught on how to do things right windows 7 was out ie vista service pack+skin pack.

Secure Boot is a welcome feature for corporate IT running machines with proper support.

In fact I'd say any company with Windows based workstations would be mistaken to purchase any new hardware without proper UEFI/Secure Boot support and the intention to run Windows 10.

Sure its no Windows 95, but not even XP or 7 was Win95. It will get used and 7 will fade into obsolescence.

In a proper work environment users cant install a new OS anyways caue the bios is locked / password protected so boot order can not be changed so almost a moot point.

If your users can install a new OS, you're doing it wrong.

Emm, Win 8 is basically a big no-no for enterprise deployment. On top of being laughed at, you'd better be prepared for management backlash for even thinking about doing this.

When you have this many people saying that something isn't good then chances are it's not. .....
[/IMG]

Not always, we know most every day users are quick to jump on bandwagons while not knowing facts, or even using said product.

I had no issues with Vista, cause i read about the driver issues and i had proper hardware.
I love Windows 7
I have no issues with Windows 8/8.1, once i put in classic shell to me it is identical to Windows 7 so all this UI and Features that people hate, i guess i just don't use them or see them (I a Sys Admin), which means chances are most every day users wouldn't either, if MS solely got rid of the Metro interface..sure most people would not see the difference. But because Win 8, like Vista was bashed from the start the word on the internet is it sucks so bad blah blah.

Sure for some Windows 8 is not great, but i do believe that most hate it cause they like to be on the bandwagon with everyone else..

I have people at work who said Windows 8 sucks, and i know they had never used it, they recently got new computers and they got windows 8.1 with classicshell, 2 of them didn't even notice it was Windows 8.1 until they were told, that is how oblivious they are to what OS they have, like most day to day users in the world. 1 other noticed due to the new login screen but still have said it isn't so bad...

When you have millions of people eating McDonalds..doesn't mean it is good for you...

That's complete horseshit and this argument drives me insane! We have no problem learning. I can use Win8 just fine on my laptop, I just hate it. I don't like the layout, UI or features. And since there are obviously a shit ton of people that feel the same then maybe the problem isn't that we're not as evolved as intellectual powerhouses such as yourself, maybe it's just that Win8 and 10 are just not as good as Win7.

When you have this many people saying that something isn't good then chances are it's not. Was the problem with Vista that nobody was smart enough to learn how to use it or was it that it just wasn't very good? Windows ME?

If you like running a tablet OS on your desktop with weird features that's totally fine. Doesn't mean you're doing anything wrong. Likewise for the millions of people that prefer a pure desktop OS such as Win7.

I think our bigger complaint is that despite the millions of people (20-30%) that are eschewing Win10 in favor of a 6 year old OS, you have Microsoft continuing to make shit the same way as if there is nothing wrong.

60154_c3ea9f2b337480ad86dfd289208a4094.jpg

It is not a tablet OS, it is a Hybrid OS that can run on tablets.

...because Win 8, like Vista was bashed from the start the word on the internet is it sucks so bad blah blah.

The only real problem with Vista was driver support. It introduced lots of new features for desktop users. A nice GUI that took advantage of graphics hardware, prefetching apps to memory and better memory management, privilege escalation that actually works, an updated Media Center app, various tools that were actually pretty decent (movie maker, DVD maker, photo viewer with built in editor, etc), mainstream 64 bit support (new hardware had to have 64-bit drivers to be called Vista-compatible), and more.

What does 8 introduce? Hibernation by default, a new UI nobody wanted, an app store nobody uses, and hyper-v. Great. They also turned Media Center into DLC (which also requires 8 Pro) despite the fact that it's the exact same program included with Windows 7. They also dropped the built in codecs from 7 (because, you know, despite nickel and dimeing you they don't want to pay any licensing fees), and they dropped official support for TV tuners.

Don't buy Windows 8 or a 10 subscription. This kind of thing is just going to continue unless customers push back.

Back