EU Lays Groundwork for Antitrust Charges Against Google

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to the Wall Street Journal, the European Commission is preparing to bring formal antitrust charges against Google.

Europe’s competition regulator is preparing to move against Google Inc. in the next few weeks, a person familiar with the matter said Wednesday, setting the stage for charges against the U.S. Internet-search giant in a five-year-old investigation that has stalled three times and sparked a political firestorm.

The EU can't resist any opportunity to try and extort money from American companies ... hopefully this won't result in all the nonsense they did with Microsoft that forced them into a 10 year long doldrums ... the EU needs to learn how to compete without taking other companies to court to do so

I know there is tons of money at stake so it isn't really an option. But every time I hear about something like this I think that if I ran Google, I'd do the same thing as they did with Google News in Spain, but do it with ALL of Google. Shut the entire thing down for a week. Search. Mail. Everything. We know what the EU leaders think. Let's see what their citizens think. I wish they had the balls for it.

They are pretty much on the record stating that this has more to do with protectionism and trying to create room for a European company than they are actually concerned with antitrust issues.

Really just means that this will turn into a trade war.

Actually, a trade war would be kind of nice.

Threaten Europe with reprisal import duties, and watch European markets tumble.

Hmm negative impact on consumers I fine that a bit hard to believe instead being in competitive market EU is just being little whinier Name one big company in EU that give away a boat Application Source Code hell even from time to time Application, eBook, Movie hell even TV Show to consumers for free, So win do start seeing US regulators file antitrust lawsuit against EU companies?.

Someone needs to grow some balls and simply cut them off from Google services. They've been getting away with this shit for way to long.

If it were some other company besides Google, I'd be a little bit disappointed, but when you're like forced to pick between them or the EU, I really think the EU is the more ethical of the two so yeah, whatever.

Back