PS 4 Gets Suspend And Resume, External HD Backups

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Sony has rolled out an update for the PlayStation 4 which will bring a smile to the faces of many PS4 gamers. Part of the update is devoted to a suspend and resume feature that will pause the action and resume play seamlessly.

Another anticipated new feature coming with Yukimura (PS4 software version 2.50 if you want to get technical) is the ability to back-up and restore console HDD content to an external USB drive.

The suspend/resume is one of the best things about the Xbox One OS. I'm a little leery of the PS4 version since a) you have to enable it in settings (why?) and b) I've already seen an article saying that it doesn't work with at least one game (sorry, can't remember which game, so take with a grain of salt) which needs to be updated to support it.

Still, at least Sony is providing some feature upgrades this time around. The PS3 OS seemed to get only cosmetic and compatibility fixes.

The suspend/resume is one of the best things about the Xbox One OS. I'm a little leery of the PS4 version since a) you have to enable it in settings (why?) and b) I've already seen an article saying that it doesn't work with at least one game (sorry, can't remember which game, so take with a grain of salt) which needs to be updated to support it.

Still, at least Sony is providing some feature upgrades this time around. The PS3 OS seemed to get only cosmetic and compatibility fixes.
Well the ps3 os got that half the time the other half of the updates were updates to fix the 1% chance of bricking your ps3 because of the update.

My Grand Theft Auto game was suspended last night when I thought I turned the console off and I resumed today. Worked fine, I was slightly surprised and then I was happy i didn't have to sit through the torturous loading screen.

When I bought by PS4 I was a bit worried about the OS and game updates being a huge pain, after having an Xbox 360, but Sony has definitely improved this generation. Microsoft still has the leg up on the software side but Sony's OS is perfectly usable and the updates aren't too bad.

A lot of good updates but I'm getting ever more annoyed with not being able to customize the bar with folders or lock games to the bar where I want them.

Moving PS Store to the far left along with all the other services is annoying as hell.

Maybe it isn't default to avoid negative press http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1857039

Someone in that thread says the xbox one sold in Europe has instant on disabled by default.

My Grand Theft Auto game was suspended last night when I thought I turned the console off and I resumed today. Worked fine, I was slightly surprised and then I was happy i didn't have to sit through the torturous loading screen.

When I bought by PS4 I was a bit worried about the OS and game updates being a huge pain, after having an Xbox 360, but Sony has definitely improved this generation. Microsoft still has the leg up on the software side but Sony's OS is perfectly usable and the updates aren't too bad.
Well, a friendly middle finger goes out to you, buddy. Before the patch I had to deal with those loading screens when I forgot to leave the PS4 running between sessions. I probably would have spent less time finishing the game if I had the ability to suspend the damn thing. I might actually go back to playing FC4 since I can suspend mid mission and come back later. In this case it's better late than never.

I'm not going to give Sony a hard time over it though since suspending games is usually met with failure on the PC platform (there are some games that survive sleep/hibernation, but not many that I've played).

Back