Google Glass Is Far from Dead

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
To quote Mark Twain: “The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated.” The same can be said of the media inspired death and burial of Google Glass. The fact is Google Glass is still alive and kicking in the R&D Department, but will not be seen in public again until all of the kinks have been addressed.

We ended the Explorer program and the press conflated this into us canceling the whole project, which isn’t true.

If they just made it look more like normal glasses I think that might go a long way.

But then you wouldn't know how hip the hipsters are and that would make them angry.

With the way everyone is recording and getting recorded now a days I'm all for these becoming mainstream so I can use them myself. I can't beat it so I might as well join in.

Like above user mentioned though, they need to make them look like normal glasses to the best of their ability with the implemented tech and then throw in some other features like those lenses that change shades from low light to bright light and maybe being customizable.

Google wants them to stick out but I don't think most users want that at all.

Can't wait to see what the next version should be like!

They should really cater it to the medical world too.

The problem was not the tech, it was the users.
People are mostly still resistant to being recorded by other "common" citizens despite how many cameras there are in public watching them at just about every business they frequent. Enough of the first batches of Glass users were not sensitive enough to that little piece of reality, that it gave the rest of it's users, as well as the tech itself, a black mark in the eyes of many people. Then we have the fears of performance based industries, (theaters, strip clubs, concert halls, etc.), that made the devices less than welcome in those venues even if not being used.

Things that need fixing:
-Battery life. It currently sucks.
-Device overheating. You can't use it for more than about 5 minutes. I have access to 2 units - both have the same problem.
-Interface is not always consistent. This might be more of an issue with the software loaded on it (3rd party).

google doesn't get it. A few other things. Using the word 'glass' as if it's now the definitive use of the word to describe the product. It's not, and you sound like idiots trying to do that. We drink out of a glass. Our windows are glass. Get it? As above, you want it to stand out. Customers don't. So we won't buy it if it makes us look like one of the Borg. Address those problems, google. Ignore what your customer wants, and you won't sell your product. Pretty basic marketing concept. Trying to shove what appears to be an imperfect product by design choice, down your potential customer's throats is just a stupid move.

There was a time when people thought glasses looked bad, what happened? Now days some crack heads who don't need glasses buy the frames just to get a certain look and very few people think glasses look bad. Watches are similar. IMO something like glass, just like blue tooth head sets, ear buds and any other item is something people will just get used to and start liking and there is no magic to it, it simply takes time for people to get used to it. Its really too bad so many people obsess over the superficial looks of this device because it has a lot of great utility. It's certainly way more integrated than a watch.

Back